Big XII drops the ball

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS
"The Southeastern Conference has signed a 15-year deal with ESPN reportedly worth more than $2 billion to televise sporting events, including football and men's and women's basketball."

ESPN signs 15-year deal with SEC - College Sports - ESPN

This means that all the SEC teams will have national airtime. As if they didn't get enough coverage already.

The Big10 network guarantees national tv coverage for all the teams. (If you want to get the Big10 network package.)

Meanwhile the Big12 television contract, which has sucked for years, has a deal with the regional FSN and Vs. and the occasional ABC appearance. For football, teams like Texas and Oklahoma will probably be on TV every weekend. Same for the other top couple programs in the Big 12. But, if you're K-State, Baylor, Iowa State, heck, even Texas Tech, you may not be televised any given week. For basketball, the same deal but slightly different teams get most of the coverage.

This can not help recruiting to any of the second tier teams in the Big12. Kids want to play on tv. They want to be able to tell family and friends back home that they'll be able to watch - all that much easier for the SEC to pull in top talent from anywhere in the country.

I'm tired of the Big12 being reactionary when it comes to a TV contract and exposure for the league. I'm tired of only being able to watch a handful of Cyclone games a year, especially when they're on the road.

Way to go Big12. Stand pat, and watch the rest of the conferences pass you by.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Re: Big XII dropps the ball

You assume that ESPN was even interested in signing such a deal with the Big 12. That is probably not a good assumption.

The number of TV viewers in each conference might shed some light on this for you. Also, the Big 12 is not exactly "east coast". If you follow ESPN, you'll understand why this is significant in the agreement that was made.

Now, if somehow land mass could be made relevant for TV viewing, the Big 12 would be in business...

Last edited:
Reactions: jumbopackage

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

You assume that ESPN was even interested in signing such a deal with the Big 12. That is probably not good assumption.

The number of TV viewers in each conference might shed some light on this for you...

I've ran the numbers on this one before, I don't care to do so again. But from what I remember, the Big XII sits squarely in last place of all BCS schools (and behind a number of non-BCS schools) in terms of population.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

Well maybe the Big12 will take the next step with creating a network. They've already started a Big12 network to produce the games you'd think that the next step would be to put them on your own channel.

TxCycloneFan

Oct 19, 2006
Bastrop TX

Do you think the big 12 as we know it today will be around in 15 years?

I'm pretty sure it won't. I wish tu and ou would form their own conference so they can continue to play with each other.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL

The Big XII's contract with ABC/ESPN expires after the 2015-16 season but its deal with FSN expires after the 2011-12 season. Be interesting to see what, if anything, changes at that point.

ce1

Mar 23, 2006
Minnesota

Do you think the big 12 as we know it today will be around in 15 years?

I'm pretty sure it won't. I wish tu and ou would form their own conference so they can continue to play with each other.

thread meltdown coming in five, four, three, two, one...

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS

I understand the SEC > Big12 (game day stadium attendance alone) and is probably why ESPN went after this deal.

I guess my point is, the Big12 TV contract sucks, has always sucked and will apparently continue to suck. Before the Big10 started their own network, they had a better TV contract. All I'm asking for is that the Big12 office to start doing something about it. Or at least appear to be doing something about it.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

I'm tired of the Big12 being reactionary when it comes to a TV contract and exposure for the league. I'm tired of only being able to watch a handful of Cyclone games a year, especially when they're on the road.

ISU was 2-10 last year, and ELEVEN games were on TV.

The Big 12 re-upped with ABC and FSN a couple of years ago, before the BTN strongarmed its way onto cable systems, and well before this SEC deal.

Using just the Top 100 TV markets in the country:
Big Ten - 23.96 million households
SEC - 19.38
Big 12 - 15.08 (7.06 million, nearly 47 percent, in Texas alone)

Reactions: jumbopackage

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA

Where this sucks the most is with Basketball. For football is makes sense, but I do not like SEC basketball at all.

For football is CBS going to be open now, or will they still do the SEC as well?

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa

The Big 12 re-upped with ABC and FSN a couple of years ago, before the BTN strongarmed its way onto cable systems, and well before this SEC deal.

SEC - 19.38

THIS! We had 11 friggin games on TV last year. WHEN has that ever happened...let alone the fact we were 2-10. We are in no position to gripe about television coverage.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

For football is CBS going to be open now, or will they still do the SEC as well?

The premier weekly game will still be on CBS, in the 3:30 ET slot. Here's the details on the ESPN side of the deal:

Football
ESPN has acquired rights to every SEC home football game (excluding those on the network broadcast package) and will serve as the exclusive national cable home and the syndication rightsholder for the conference.
ESPN and ESPN2: The networks will increase coverage by combining to televise a minimum of 20 SEC games annually, including Saturday night and two primetime Thursday matchups.
ESPNU: The 24-hour college sports network, which launched in March 2005, will present a package of SEC football for the first time, with a Saturday game-of-the-week (generally in primetime and a minimum of 13 games annually).
ESPN Regional Television (ERT): The nation's largest syndicator of collegiate sports programming, becomes the official over-the-air syndication home for the SEC and will feature a game-of-the-week package (generally at 12:30 p.m. ET), with a minimum of 13 games each season throughout the SEC footprint and beyond. In addition, ERT will produce and distribute a studio show.
ESPN360.com: Simulcasts of SEC game telecasts will be offered on the broadband network.
ESPN Mobile TV: Live games will be simulcast on mobile phones.
ESPN International: The agreement includes global rights to present live games and encore presentations.
ESPN Deportes: ESPN has acquired domestic Spanish-language rights for SEC football on the 24-hour, U.S.-based network.
ESPN GamePlan: The out-of-market college football pay-per-view service, will offer SEC action.
ESPN Classic: The network may telecast select SEC live games as well as historic and immediate encore presentations.
ESPN.com: Extensive SEC content, including highlights, will be presented online.

Link to full release: http://www.secsports.com/index.php?..._id=11428&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

I think what this thread was originally about was national broadcast...right? Sure we all got to watch most of the ISU games since we're in the midwest but they weren't available in many other markets. While thats satisfying to us local fans it does very little to promote national exposure for the conference.

And I also agree the worst part about this is that we're forced to watch SEC basketball, which is almost unwatchable.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

Every ISU game that was televised last season was available nationwide.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

Looks to me like they are taking some of the spots away from the Big 11 with their regional package. People in the South won't see as much Big 11...basically only one game a week if they don't have the BTN, which most cable customers won't have.

Really, I see this package helping SEC teams keep their borders closed, nothing more.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007

Well maybe the Big12 will take the next step with creating a network. They've already started a Big12 network to produce the games you'd think that the next step would be to put them on your own channel.

They have done no such thing. The Big 12 network we had last year for basketball was purely a rebranding of ESPN Plus.

I understand the SEC > Big12 (game day stadium attendance alone) and is probably why ESPN went after this deal.

I guess my point is, the Big12 TV contract sucks, has always sucked and will apparently continue to suck. Before the Big10 started their own network, they had a better TV contract. All I'm asking for is that the Big12 office to start doing something about it. Or at least appear to be doing something about it.

Our TV deal is arguably one of the top 2 or 3 in the nation. It's far better than the Big East and I'd argue better than the ACC's.

I think what this thread was originally about was national broadcast...right? Sure we all got to watch most of the ISU games since we're in the midwest but they weren't available in many other markets. While thats satisfying to us local fans it does very little to promote national exposure for the conference.

And I also agree the worst part about this is that we're forced to watch SEC basketball, which is almost unwatchable.

Every ISU game that was on TV last year was available nationwide. In fact, every Big XII game that was on TV last year was available nationwide.

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny

Over the last 2 months of the 2008 season, only 7 Big 12 games weren't on TV (cable, PPV, or ABC), you just have to look for the games as the Big 12 has multiple TV partners. Also, the weekend of September 12-13 last year, EVERY non-con game involving the Big 12 was televised.

Football - Schedule & Results - Big 12 Conference - Official Athletic Site

LeSchmick

Dec 14, 2008
Urbandale

SEC - 19.38

Not everybody has the obscure DirecTV channels that you apparently get to watch.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron