Bird Migration

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
I think some birds come back to the same place. Or maybe the babies do? I feel like my mom has said indigo buntings do that. Or I could be making that up. Last year she just had a couple of sightings of one single indigo after years with 5-6. She’s curious if she’ll get any this year.
I have had orioles come to our feeder in repeat years.

Reactions: cymac2408

CycloneDiver

Apr 25, 2017
WDM
Just an FYI on hummingbird feeders. Please keep them clean. The sugar water can mold/go bad rather quickly and be detrimental to the birds. I often change mine daily when it gets HOT outside. Many “experts” say to not put them out if you don’t have the patience or time to properly maintain them. Said “experts” also advise 4:1 water to sugar. If they need more energy, they’ll drink more.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Sandhills were back in the Madison area in early February. That was the earliest I've seen.

Quasi-related cotton was drifting around today off of the cottonwoods which is earlier than normal. That's usually a sign of fish activity and I wonder if bird migrations are also related (I haven't found anything in a short search).

Reactions: Kinch

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
How do you know this?

I’m getting old because I’m suddenly super interested in this. ;)
Because of a marking and also when you have orioles stay over the season, you can tell an orioles personality. This bird had a pecular personality and a marking.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Because of a marking and also when you have orioles stay over the season, you can tell an orioles personality. This bird had a pecular personality and a marking.

Very cool. A few years ago my mom had one indigo bunting that literally sang right to them. They were sitting on the porch, the bird perched on the fence closest to them, looked right at them, and proceeded to sing for quite a while. It definitely behaved a lot different than any others.

• Winner
Reactions: Kinch

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I've always wanted Orioles to come here but I never put oranges or grape jelly or in time.

I sat with my wife on the front porch in Ankeny during the afternoon rain and we had a hummingbird hit the feeder sitting between us. Love watching those little birds.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I took an Oriole nest from my tree last year and have noticed several Orioles in yard this week.
Growing up my mom had an oriole feeder. They built a nest close by. A bad storm knocked the limb is was on off and looking at the nest they had woven strings from a tattered blue tarp on the old playset.

Chelseaczech

Jul 26, 2021
Last year I didn't have my Oriole station out yet. I swear an Oriole was yelling at me from a nearby tree. Very very loud. I got out the oranges and jelly immediately! They definitely know where the food was good on the last migration.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
I built a couple of bluebird houses that I have out back. I've never gotten one but most years housewrens move in which have a great song...great little bird. I noticed the other day that one had moved in, however, I needed to latch the door from cleaning last fall. Inside was this perfect layered nest and about 4 little eggs about the size of a marble.

EDIT: Correction, this is my first ever Black-Capped Chickadee nest. Thanks @CyclonesRock

Attachments

• 20240425_123330.jpg
    20240425_123330.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
  • 20240425_123336.jpg
    20240425_123336.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Not related to current events but when I lived in Florida I happened across a bird I had never heard before. Being in the south I was pretty accustomed to that with all the different birds they had compared to up north. This bird had the most gorgeous song and it never seemed to repeat, just melody after melody of amazing sound. I used my phone to record and asked google what it was and it came back with a Nightingale. Apparently they are a European bird so it was strange to have come across it. Most amazing song I've heard.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
We’ve had hummingbirds at our feeder in southern Iowa boondocks for nearly two weeks. Seems like their season is extending about an extra week on each end.

• Informative
Reactions: Kinch and NWICY

CycloneDiver

Apr 25, 2017
WDM
I built a couple of bluebird houses that I have out back. I've never gotten one but most years housewrens move in which have a great song...great little bird. I noticed the other day that one had moved in, however, I needed to latch the door from cleaning last fall. Inside was this perfect layered nest and about 4 little eggs about the size of a marble.
Very cool! I have about a dozen wood duck boxes I take care of. Every year house wrens inhabit about 1/2 of them. They just about fill the whole damn box with little twigs and then make an itty bitty nest in one corner. The amount of sticks those lil suckers carry is CRAZY!