Boy, that was harder than expected.

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
So I have 13 year old Havenese (Oggy). He was diagnosed with cancer a while back. Overall, Oggy's been doing well. Today was a nice day so I decided to take him for a walk. He loves walks.

After a few of blocks and the obliglitory marking he started slowing down. So I needed to pick him up and continued walking through a wooded area to an overflowing creek with a bench.

I sat down and put Oggy on the bench. We both were watching the water when an older gentleman came upon us. He was watching the water as well and after a bit he turned and said, "Your dog loves you."

The flood of emotion was instant. I picked up Oggy and continued on the wooded path. Of course, all I could think about was if would be one of the last walks Oggy and I took together.

I've been a mess ever since. One comment from a complete stranger. I can't explain it. Seriously, WTH.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
So I have 13 year old Havenese (Oggy). He was diagnosed with cancer a while back. Overall, Oggy's been doing well. Today was a nice day so I decided to take him for a walk. He loves walks.

After a few of blocks and the obliglitory marking he started slowing down. So I needed to pick him up and continued walking through a wooded area to an overflowing creek with a bench.

I sat down and put Oggy on the bench. We both were watching the water when an older gentleman came upon us. He was watching the water as well and after a bit he turned and said, "Your dog loves you."

The flood of emotion was instant. I picked up Oggy and continued on the wooded path. Of course, all I could think about was if would be one of the last walks Oggy and I took together.

I've been a mess ever since. One comment from a complete stranger. I can't explain it. Seriously, WTH.
Enjoy the moments you have. Life is always fleeting, some moments cause the end to feel closer than others. Enjoy that you have a dog that you love and that love you! You're very fortunate to get to experience it!

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
Totally understand and feel for you. I had to put my 2 year old Doberman down because of cancer. Every morning at 9:00am she would lay her chin on my shoulder, leg or some body part wanting to go for her walk. She would sit in the Ranger until we got to the back of the property and we would race home. Boy could she fly until she got too sick. Toward the end I would just let her sit with me.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Our Dalmatian turned 6 today. Never thought I would ever be as close to a pet as I am to her and our Lab. They are both middle aged dogs, so we know the end is closer than the beginning. Gets tough thinking about that time to time.

And as always, we don’t deserve dogs.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
My dog turns 10 at the end of this year. I hate thinking about what it will be like when I don't get to enjoy his companionship anymore.

• Agree
Reactions: Althetuna

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
I don't want to hijack this thread, but isn't it interesting how throughout life these sort of moments happen? It's almost like a movie script sometimes.

When my kids were 2.5y and 6 months old we went to a diner for breakfast. An old man who we never met before told us we were doing a great job. Then said something that I'll never forget. "When you get to be my age you start to realize you're really only going to leave behind 2 things. Your children and how you treat other people." It hit me like a ton of bricks.

What you described with your dog seems similar. Like an oracle in a movie, saying exactly what you needed to hear in that moment. Plucking a heartstring like you're a guitar.

cyhobby

Apr 14, 2006
Our labradoodle is 17, my wife and I never had childeren, she is our child. Really slowing down, poor hearing and sight, but still hanging in there , eating ok etc., less frequent bursts of perkiness. Going to be hard to say goodbye to her.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
Dumbest repeated take on the internet.

gqu0fppsYJtf_eke-XR2uVUFQusdfd3ucMllipDLATE.jpg

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron