Bracketology 2024

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Only ways we avoid Boston is

A. We move up to #6 ahead of Tennessee and Marquette.

B. We somehow jump to the final 1 seed and head west.

If B happens we'd be everyone popular early exit victim.
Brother I think we're a lock for Omaha after that ass-kicking last night, but I'm not a trained Bracketology PhD.

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
Only ways we avoid Boston is

A. We move up to #6 ahead of Tennessee and Marquette.

B. We somehow jump to the final 1 seed and head west.

If B happens we'd be everyone popular early exit victim.
Boston doesn't have an Omaha first 2 rounds. We're going to omaha.

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
Right now, I’d say it’s 90% likely we’re the 2 seed in the East. I think to get 2-seed in the Midwest we’d have jump Marquette. Would have been nice if they had lost that OT game to Villanova.

Would us winning today and them losing be enough for us to jump them?
Marquette is actually closer to indy than omaha. So that would be their preference placement. (11 hours to omaha. 8 to indy)

Reactions: Cyclonepride

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Crazy that UConn is going to play in Brooklyn and Boston. Two virtual home sites.

Would be like us pulling some combination of Kansas City, Omaha and Minneapolis sites in the tourney. Except even closer and able to take a commuter train.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Right now, I’d say it’s 90% likely we’re the 2 seed in the East. I think to get 2-seed in the Midwest we’d have jump Marquette. Would have been nice if they had lost that OT game to Villanova.

Would us winning today and them losing be enough for us to jump them?
I think this is right.

I wonder though, should ISU win tonight, how do you not get something more for beating the #1 overall seed 2x in one season, once on a neutral (ahem) court?

With that said, I think the real impact of winning today (and really, already playing well and winning last 2) is the confidence being back for this team and realizing, you aren't going to play a game any tougher the rest of the way than have played 3x this year against Houston.

I.e. Place ISU where you will, they control their destiny regardless.

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Agree, first weekend we're in Omaha no matter what region we get placed.
I must be misunderstanding you then. Boston is the site for rounds 3 and 4 in the East, Omaha is in a whole different region. I don't think there's a feasible seeding where we'd play in both Omaha and Boston. Do they re-assign the regions after the first two rounds?

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Marquette is actually closer to indy than omaha. So that would be their preference placement. (11 hours to omaha. 8 to indy)
Oh yes, for sure we’re playing the first weekend in Omaha. I was talking about the second weekend (knock on wood we get there) and playing in Boston, Detroit, or LA

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I must be misunderstanding you then. Boston is the site for rounds 3 and 4 in the East, Omaha is in a whole different region. I don't think there's a feasible seeding where we'd play in both Omaha and Boston. Do they re-assign the regions after the first two rounds?
Not reassigned, 1st weekend sites aren't geographically locked to a reguon. They seed the top 16 then assign sub regions according to geographics of the top seed. 1-16 they go down the list and send them accordingly. We've locked up Omaha as it isn't the closest destination of teams ahead of us.

Our Region is determined by conference alliances.

We can't go South with 1 seed Houston.
Marquette can't go East with 1 seed UCONN.

To get the MW we must be seeded ahead of Tennessee and Marquette.

I don't know if this is feasible but winning tonight combined with a UNC at minimum opens the conversation of us getting the final 1 seed. Regardless our 1st weekend would be in Omaha.

Last edited:

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Yes, first weekend sites and regional sites aren’t associated with each other anymore. You can be in any region and play in any first weekend site

Reactions: F5cy and rosshm16

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Is this a new/recent change? Kind of dumb if you ask me.
They changed it maybe 10 years ago or so. It’s more geography based and actually makes more sense. Less travel costs and gives more advantage to higher-rated teams.

The easiest way to think about it is the first round is broken up into 8 pods. It’s hard to to wrap the mind around this cause the traditional bracket is visualized as 4 quadrants (aka regions).

But the first round is really 8 pods, each with two top-4 seeds. Top-4 seeds will go to the closest possible pod with higher rated teams getting geographical preference. And then teams lower than a 4 seed are placed accordingly from there (regardless of geography).

wgleason

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
I've read every page of this thread and find it very informative. Some of you obviously really understand the seeding and bracket assignments. Some of you don't have a clue.

My problem is I don't know which is which! ;)
Sounds like you'd a perfect candidate to be on the committee

• Haha
Reactions: NENick

Cyowa 14

THE Iowa State University Class of 2014
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 26, 2019
On a side note, It will be ridiculous if Houston doesn't get the #1 overall seed even if they lose tonight. They are now 16-3 Q1, 4 more Q1 wins than both UConn and Purdue.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
On a side note, It will be ridiculous if Houston doesn't get the #1 overall seed even if they lose tonight. They are now 16-3 Q1, 4 more Q1 wins than both UConn and Purdue.
Tangentially, I would love to see a UConn and Houston matchup. I think UConn is a little better, because they’re stronger offensively.

Both would beat Purdue imo, Houston’s D would probably let Edey get his but neutralize their guards. UConn has size and athleticism, I think they would handle Edey well.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Boston doesn't have an Omaha first 2 rounds. We're going to omaha.
Sub regionals (Like Omaha) aren't assigned certain regions East/Midwest/South or West until selection Sunday. That path will all become clear then. Until then, people are speculating or predicting how that will work out. Whether we end up in East/West or Midwest, the first 2 games will be in Omaha...providing we win game 1 of course.