***Breece Hall Thread***

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
People are bigger, stronger and faster than they ever were.

Are athletes really getting faster, better, stronger? | David Epstein, 2014​

You hear this a lot, "bigger, stronger, faster."

As far as football, I have wondered if they should consider making a weight limit for certain positions? Lineman couldn't be over 320 lbs, let's say. Running backs need to stay under 240, linebackers under 250? Just making some numbers up.

Would it have helped Breece on Sunday? No. Would it help or hurt the overall sport ( or sports) to place certain height and weight parameters? Don't know.

Interesting question to think about. In football, it sure seems like the players are getting bigger, stronger, and faster. Is this necessarily good for the sport?How healthy is it for the human body? What are the limits?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Thankful it was just the ACL and not also MCL, Patella, or LCL. Still sucks though. Didn't Dobbins for the Ravens have ACL and LCL last year and is not out again having his knee scoped?

Reactions: cyclone1209

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Thankful it was just the ACL and not also MCL, Patella, or LCL. Still sucks though. Didn't Dobbins for the Ravens have ACL and LCL last year and is not out again having his knee scoped?
At this point, it's almost easier to identify the high profile NFL running backs who HAVEN'T suffered a significant injury. It's not really a matter of IF they get injured, just a matter of WHEN. It's no wonder that a committee approach to the ground game is as popular as it is.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Are players really that much bigger and more explosive than 20-30 years ago? I'd be interested if someone's done analysis on that. It's certainly possible, and seems to be a common narrative, I don't know that it's necessarily true though. I read an article a couple years ago about Olympic swimmers and sprinters. Studies seemed to indicate that almost all increases in running and swimming times where the results of improved technology rather than increased athletic ability/training. Improved swimsuits, improved running shoes/spikes and faster track surfaces.
Definitely a good deal of it is the improved technology, specialization in body type, etc.

In football, though, many of the players are quite a bit bigger. No denying that.

Are athletes really getting faster, better, stronger? | David Epstein, 2014​

You hear this a lot, "bigger, stronger, faster."

As far as football, I have wondered if they should consider making a weight limit for certain positions? Lineman couldn't be over 320 lbs, let's say. Running backs need to stay under 240, linebackers under 250? Just making some numbers up.

Would it have helped Breece on Sunday? No. Would it help or hurt the overall sport ( or sports) to place certain height and weight parameters? Don't know.

Interesting question to think about. In football, it sure seems like the players are getting bigger, stronger, and faster. Is this necessarily good for the sport?How healthy is it for the human body? What are the limits?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I find myself watching the NFL wondering how a significant injury doesn't happen every play. The size and speed of these guys, and resulting collisions, is remarkable. I have no idea how guys are able to stand up and walk away from some of these hits.

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
I seem to remember the whole aura behind an ACL tear and repair seemed to have changed after Adrian Peterson's ACL/MCL injury, Dec. 2011, and surgery. He came back in less than a year which was sort of unheard of until then. He did pretty well!

Here's hoping the medical gods can do their magic, and he can make a full recovery.

This is what you would think. Who knows. Your Orthopod probably knows what he is taking about. I hope he is wrong for many injured knees' sake.

When did you have your surgery?
My ACL surgery was in 2002. The conversation with him about this, as I have knee pain from arthritis and have had for many years, was when I had elbow surgery last fall.

Reactions: t-noah

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
Here is the funny side of tearing my ACL. I was at a work training center that was on the edge of Norman, OK. At our housing facility at the time, they hired OU students who were studying to be athletic trainers to organize and officiate basketball, volleyball, and in summer, softball games for those who wanted to play during off hours at the hotel. Hotel had full weight room, college gym, racketball courts, tennis courts, and softball field.
When I tore my ACL in January 2002, I rebounded the ball, felt a pop in my knee, and went down, calling time-out. The closest trainer asked what happened, and I told him. He immediately moved my knee and my lower leg moved front to back at the knee joint. He said I tore my ACL. His coworker trainer student said let me see. He moved my leg the same way and said, yep, you tore your ACL. They called the facility nurse and after moving me to her office, did the exact same test and said the exact same thing. She gave me crutches and told me she would transport me to the ER. The ER doctor told me the same thing after doing that test.
The next day, I see an ortho doctor in Norman. He does the exact same tests and movements, and says nothing can be determined till I have an MRI.
I waited and walked on it without a brace, until August that year to have the surgery. Dr. Greenwald said it was good that I waited to get the muscles used to supporting the knee without the ACL. I wore a brace and played slow-pitch softball that summer with it torn. Then had surgery.

• Sad
Reactions: Cyclonepride

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
I'm hurt when I step on a toy

I slept "wrong" about a week ago and just now am able to ween myself off of painkillers and muscle relaxers.

In my day as an athlete pain was part of the deal and that seemed to make it much more tolerable. Now that I'm no longer fit, pain seems to be a lot more unbearable.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
My ACL surgery was in 2002. The conversation with him about this, as I have knee pain from arthritis and have had for many years, was when I had elbow surgery last fall.
Thanks for the info. My guess is that if you don't have an exacting and near perfect ACL reconstruction /graft then you will very likely have some joint laxity and play that will cause premature OA (osteoarthrits) and added meniscal wear and tear. This is perhaps what your Orthopod (orthopedic surgeon) was referring to.

One can only hope that present day ACL reconstructions and repairs are more advanced and exacting than they were in 2002. For example, Adrian Peterson's ACL / MCL repair was in late 2011 /early 2012. He did great the very next year. Amazing, in fact.

Keep in mind also, that not every ACL repair involves a complete tear that would require a repair graft (tendon reconstruction). That can be both good and bad. If the ACL is stretched, but not torn, and deemed not to need a graft repair, the repair or surgical result may be fine, but it might also be less than ideal. There might be joint and ligament laxity (looseness) from then on, which is not great. That could lead to premature arthritis later.

I guess the only way to really know is to ask some athletes who have more recently undergone ACL reconstruction / grafting, say in the last 10 years or so, versus non ACL grafting, and ask them how they did, and how they are now doing. A lot also depends on how much meniscal damage (if any) was incurred and had to be repaired (or cut away). Many variables.

You would think an Orthopedic surgeon who does this for a living, would know, as they closely follow their (and others) patients.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Here is the funny side of tearing my ACL. I was at a work training center that was on the edge of Norman, OK. At our housing facility at the time, they hired OU students who were studying to be athletic trainers to organize and officiate basketball, volleyball, and in summer, softball games for those who wanted to play during off hours at the hotel. Hotel had full weight room, college gym, racketball courts, tennis courts, and softball field.
When I tore my ACL in January 2002, I rebounded the ball, felt a pop in my knee, and went down, calling time-out. The closest trainer asked what happened, and I told him. He immediately moved my knee and my lower leg moved front to back at the knee joint. He said I tore my ACL. His coworker trainer student said let me see. He moved my leg the same way and said, yep, you tore your ACL. They called the facility nurse and after moving me to her office, did the exact same test and said the exact same thing. She gave me crutches and told me she would transport me to the ER. The ER doctor told me the same thing after doing that test.
The next day, I see an ortho doctor in Norman. He does the exact same tests and movements, and says nothing can be determined till I have an MRI.
I waited and walked on it without a brace, until August that year to have the surgery. Dr. Greenwald said it was good that I waited to get the muscles used to supporting the knee without the ACL. I wore a brace and played slow-pitch softball that summer with it torn. Then had surgery.
Did you have reconstruction (of the ACL) surgery, or did the surgeon just clean up the joint and meniscus, take out any frayed remnants?

If you didn't have the reconstruction (and I'm not sure how good they were at doing it back in 2002), and you basically have no ACL now and since the injury, this explains the laxity in your knee since, and the premature arthritis.

p.s., I used to be a PT, never worked with post reconstructive knee rehabs with athletes, but they do some really good things now (surgically and with rehab).

Last edited:

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
Did you have reconstruction (of the ACL) surgery, or did the surgeon just clean up the joint and meniscus, take out any frayed remnants?

If you didn't have the reconstruction (and I'm not sure how good they were at doing it back in 2002), and you basically have no ACL now and since the injury, this explains the laxity in your knee since, and the premature arthritis.

p.s., I used to be a PT, never worked with post reconstructive knee rehabs with athletes, but they do some really good things now (surgically and with rehab).
I had ACL reconstruction using part of the patella tendon. Dr. Greenwald did the repair and trimmed meniscus as well, and Dr. Buck prepared the portion of the patella tendon for transplant.

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
Thanks for the info. My guess is that if you don't have an exacting and near perfect ACL reconstruction /graft then you will very likely have some joint laxity and play that will cause premature OA (osteoarthrits) and added meniscal wear and tear. This is perhaps what your Orthopod (orthopedic surgeon) was referring to.

One can only hope that present day ACL reconstructions and repairs are more advanced and exacting than they were in 2002. For example, Adrian Peterson's ACL / MCL repair was in late 2011 /early 2012. He did great the very next year. Amazing, in fact.

Keep in mind also, that not every ACL repair involves a complete tear that would require a repair graft (tendon reconstruction). That can be both good and bad. If the ACL is stretched, but not torn, and deemed not to need a graft repair, the repair or surgical result may be fine, but it might also be less than ideal. There might be joint and ligament laxity (looseness) from then on, which is not great. That could lead to premature arthritis later.

I guess the only way to really know is to ask some athletes who have more recently undergone ACL reconstruction / grafting, say in the last 10 years or so, versus non ACL grafting, and ask them how they did, and how they are now doing. A lot also depends on how much meniscal damage (if any) was incurred and had to be repaired (or cut away). Many variables.

You would think an Orthopedic surgeon who does this for a living, would know, as they closely follow their (and others) patients.
Though my surgery was in 2002, it was in 2021 that Dr. Greenwald made the comment about ACL repair usually mean a D1 athlete or higher level only has 2-3 years left. I would think since he is the primary ortho for ISU, he does know what he is speaking about.