Breece Hall, I swear every week he has grown

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Agree....we've seen him in the open field, as a "grind out" back, and last night he really had the look of quick, elusive, and making solid runs every tough.

The announcer made a good point, get him into more off season workouts and with the skills/experiences he's getting....watch out. Love it.

Reactions: cyfan21 and Aclone

Dannynoonan

May 5, 2015
He’s outstanding. He plants his foot and gets North immediately when there’s a seam, finishes forward, catches the ball, and he has gotten better (he seems more comfortable and confident) every week! Can’t wait to see how he continues to develop.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
He is an absolute stud, the issue is Manning would rather us throw it 50+ times. 1st and goal at the 3, he should have had the ball all 3 times. He went a couple series without even touching the ball. Get him the ball at least once a series.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I’m going to have to sign up to be a Superfanatic—just so I can get that “dumb” emoji, aren’t I?

Dumb, huh? Remind me how much Hall was used in the first half and how the game was going up to that point, and then remind me how the second half played out when he was given the damn ball.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
Dumb, huh? Remind me how much Hall was used in the first half and how the game was going up to that point, and then remind me how the second half played out when he was given the damn ball.
We don't agree a lot but we do here. Breece has been blowing up college fantasy football since the WV game. To take the ball out of his hands as much as they did against OSU and OU is frustrating.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
He's so good in the passing game too, both blocking and running after the catch. Lang ran well last night too. OL, TEs and WRs were damn good run blocking that second half.

Obviously there will be some work replacing a lot of OL experience, but we've got a QB and RB that you can build an offense around.

OU is not a good defense, but they still have some serious talent on that side of the ball.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Well, let’s see.

The very first play on offense was a Breece rush...for one yard.

On the next possession, another 3 and out, he had one rush for four yards. It was pretty obvious that OU had everyone in the box at that point.

Next drive started out with a 19 yard completion to Breece. His next carry was for no gain, but the ten yard carry after that set up Milton’s 40 yard TD.

That’s just the first quarter. For the half, Breece had 7 carries for 47 yards, and two catches for nineteen. Hardly “forgotten”

I know. Facts are hard. Did that “reminder” help?

Yes, they put in Jonny Lang for a breather midway in the second quarter—who promptly ran for 22, then 13 yards.

And yes, things opened up in the second half. Four of Breece’s first half carries were for four yards—or substantially less. But your original statement, that Manning “forgot” him was indeed dumb.

Of course, if you prefer, we could go with “revisionist history”. Or maybe “ignorant”. All in all though, I think that “dumb” is pretty much sufficient. :)

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
The progress has been incredible. He can’t touch the ball enough.

The talent at the skill positions is as high as ever. The OL is performing well, too.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

how much did we have the ball in the first half?

Now, before you get all defensive, I agree with the premise that coaches outthink themselves all the time. Manning is not the only coach that does that.

Also we have a historically great qb for Iowa State. This is his team, and they are going to give him the ball.

and the o line is still serviceable, at best. That will be where the program takes the next step, If the next group can become even a good offensive line

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
The progress has been incredible. He can’t touch the ball enough.

The talent at the skill positions is as high as ever. The OL is performing well, too.

The o line is good on the seal block for the sweep. But a sieve against a good rush. I hope we can figure out how to finally put some bodies on guys when ut brings the run and pass blitzes next week.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
He's averaging 5-point-freaking-9 yards per rush. 99 caries in 8 game appearances. Odds are if he got a significantly higher number of carries his ypp average would drop. But man, If ISU could have dialed in on him as primary back earlier in the season (and not abandon the run vs. OSU) he could have been close to 1,000 yards already and more of a full-season pass/run balance.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
The o line is good on the seal block for the sweep. But a sieve against a good rush. I hope we can figure out how to finally put some bodies on guys when ut brings the run and pass blitzes next week.
Purdy’s feet are as big of issue.

CaptainClutch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 1, 2014
Him and Jirehl Brock are going to be lethal next year. I still think Lang is a decent back also and we can utilize him maybe in the passing game in screens and things. We lose a lot on the line next year but I think the young guys are more than ready and they are some tough dudes. A ton to look forward to next year. Still can get 8 wins this year and then a good bowl win!