Caleb Grill has been dismissed from team

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
It wasn't a fall, Jaz was launched by WV big center. Two hands in the back and a hard shove. Jaz also can add a little dramatic effect to it, but it was a hard rebounding foul
I meant foul...my northern accent and voice to text don't mix well.

Reactions: BCClone

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Huggins was working the refs before the game, all throughout the game, during time outs etc... When you have an opposing coach like that on the other sideline, TJ needs to do something. I'm not saying saying get a T, but he needs stand up for his guys in some way. For example, there were a couple of really cheap ones called on Gabe. It took him out of the game, on his senior day. Like Larry E. said, the fans buy tickets to watch the players, not the refs. The thing about the cheap ones that sent our leading scorer to the bench is, they could have called those exact same type of fouls on the other end and let it go. That cheap as fk foul on the 3 they called Lipsey, was that even a foul? TJ needed to raise hell on that, he can't let his team be a pissing post for these officials.
It really is amazing to watch. Even after WV gets a call in their favor Huggins is still working the refs.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
He's frustrated because he's a really easy guard and he can't get open. There's absolutely zero fear that he's going to do anything other than hunt 3s.

Reactions: Clonefan32

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
Wouldn't have minded the technical if he could score some points. But he was a liability today on both sides of the ball. Pretty bad way to go out on your senior day.
Oh I’m sure he’ll use his Covid free year!

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
ISU had a similar sequence to start the second half. Gabe hit a three, there was a fall under the hoop so they got the ball back, and Osun got a big dunk. That sequence seem to light a fuse for ISU
He’s went for 0 to many games for as many minutes he plays! He’s got hot a few games but not very many!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I would be shocked if he doesn't come back next year.
When his shot is off, he's a detriment on offense. If him and Rob come back you know TJ will play them both a lot, will that push out a Watson (who we don't know much about but appears to be athletic) and kinda have us having a team that looks pretty similar to this year?

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
I mean he barely shoved him... I'm not going to fault him for "defending his guy"

De does have big annoying white guy on bball team energy though lol

Reactions: VeloClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I have no problem with Grill standing up for one of his guys. Pretty soft T, but the refs were trying to get control of the game.
The T wasn't called on the floor I believe. I think it called at the review. The refs were closing in and one was getting ready to grab the WV player when caleb came running in and then shoves the WV player. I think it had more to do with timing than the severity of the shove.

NILversusCFL

Dec 1, 2022
I was wrong about Caleb this time. He was defending a teammate. He didn't deserve a T.

However, after watching the game again........having Robert and Osun use extreme pressure on the ball-handler (generally someone smaller) 20 FEET from the bucket is bad coaching and just flat-out stupid.

It leads to blow-bys, no defense at the rim and a dunk.

Or, the refs just laugh at it and call another deserved foul.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I was wrong about Caleb this time. He was defending a teammate. He didn't deserve a T.

However, after watching the game again........having Robert and Osun use extreme pressure on the ball-handler (generally someone smaller) 20 FEET from the bucket is bad coaching and just flat-out stupid.

I wish we would use our bigs as rim protectors instead of defending out on the perimeter, doing things like hedging on picks.

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

That is what happened with Osun's fouls at the end, WV came down, Osuns guy set a screen on lipsy or whoever was guarding the on ball player and Osun popped out to try to guard him tight. They did it twice in a row.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I just don’t think it’s working for his team. He blamed the players on the radio. The stated reason for him not getting technicals is that he wants his team to be calm. But his team isn’t calm. And the refs aren’t exactly showering us with favorable calls.

This is a stupid hill for me to die on but it’s also a stupid hill for TJ to die on too.

Like maybe get a T on the god damned Lipsy 3. And maybe, just maybe, Caleb keeps his head. Or maybe not. But it’s worth a try.

I'm not a hard disagree with you on this point. However, I think one of the issues with the last regime was "Do as I say, not as I do." If T.J. is preaching calmness and then he simply loses his **** on a ref it is a little more difficult to continue to preach calmness in the huddle.

Lyon309Cy

Sep 5, 2010
I think the length of the delay to sort everything out had more impact than the 5 points we lost on the exchange. We were in as good of a rhythm as we've been in in a long time. Getting good shots and hitting them, playing with purpose and swagger. After 10 minutes standing around they came back out cold and lethargic, looking like the team we've seen too much of the last month.

All the talk about TJ not 'working' the refs is just another way of saying 'I'm mad/frustrated and can't do anything about it. It's not fair, poor me, poor ISU, this only ever happens to us and will always keep happening to us.' It's a bs victim mentality that isn't helpful to anyone. It may or may not get us an extra call or two a game, but at the expense of instilling an excuse-making culture.
I think we are all just frustrated and disappointed. Something clearly needs to change, but there's not much we can 'fix' in the last week of the season. But maybe we'd all just feel better if TJ would go off on someone. I'd rather he continue to stay consistent with the culture he's built rather than sacrifice his credibility for possibly an extra win this season.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
At the beginning of the season, I liked his grit. Right now, he's moved beyond grit and into gristle.

Reactions: Cyientist