Campbell Still in Demand?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
While I'm not expecting Campbell to can Manning, I think the Campbell is stuck in his ways and too stubborn to change narrative is overblown. In addition to gutting the defense and making the S&C change to Andrews, they keep modifying their camp and player rotation approaches to address the late season struggles early in his tenure, and the September struggles until this season. Everything doesn't always work, but the staff is willing to change.

Maybe MC gets the offense figured out, maybe he doesn't. Maybe it's with Manning, maybe it's not. But he's a pretty damn good coach that has built a good culture here.

I agree. He’s made changes. He’s not quick to make changes but he’s done it.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
His star has lost some luster. But he is still a star. If Campbell did fail. “Iowa State is a coaching graveyard“ could be a legitimate argument.
If Campbell ultimately fails, it will be because he dug his heels in and refused to make critical changes when he needed to. Not because Iowa State is a coaching graveyard. Campbell is the one who holds the shovel.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
If Campbell ultimately fails, it will be because he dug his heels in and refused to make critical changes when he needed to. Not because Iowa State is a coaching graveyard. Campbell is the one who holds the shovel.
Absent an NFL caliber RB, CampbellBall will no longer work. It is obvious that defenses have figured it out.

You know what ISU will almost certainly do after a big play? That's right. Go to a run play.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
The public perception (fueled by media) is a graveyard but in reality I don't think that's the case anymore. Facilities and fan support are there and we are not in a recruiting hotbed but I don't believe that should be a program killer.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Absent an NFL caliber RB, CampbellBall will no longer work. It is obvious that defenses have figured it out.

You know what ISU will almost certainly do after a big play? That's right. Go to a run play.

Alabama is not a good team without all their NFL caliber players. Heisman winning QB bails them out. As well as the high draft lottery picks at other positions.

Campbell has his best recruiting class next year. Better players. Better team.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Man we must have a lot of suckers here filling up a stadium every week at a “coaching graveyard”.

I think our facilities and fanbase are such that if ISU is a coaching graveyard...so are Kansas State, Nebraska, Kansas, and Iowa. Those are the closest comps to ISU now if you just look at location, local recruiting, facilities, attendance, type of school, etc. Maybe Missouri and Illinois in there too but Illinois should have better recruiting results than they have historically had.

Nebraska is starting to look like a job that has similar challenges as ISU. KU obviously does. Iowa may have lucked out with 2 effective coaches spanning nearly 4 decades but they are at an inflection point now. KSU is kind of showing there can be ups and downs with these programs without the downs being decades long. I'm hoping ISU bounces back from this season and shows the same because the close losses are different than years where most losses were laughers.

None of the six schools I mentioned are really dangerous national title contenders (none of us think we can be) or competing for the conference title year after year (I think this is the dream for our fans). KSU and Iowa are probably the closest and Iowa has been really exposed the times they got into the national spotlight type of game or even in position to win Big Ten.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I've read some of this thread with K-State comments and come here believing some of you need to 'get a grip' in boy talk terms. This thread is laughable.

First, CMC is a fine, still-young coach who most other schools would have loved prior to this year.

Second, coach Klieman canned his very best friend Courtney Messingham - a relationship dating back to their childhood - so, CMC knows if Manning's the issue, he too will be gone after the season.

Three, who the hell you going to get that's better than Matt Campbell, if you canned him? Face the brutal facts, boys.

You have an upper-tier P5 head coach. A damn fine coach with tons of aptitude going forward. Running him off would be a huge perhaps irreplaceable error. A little patience this year is in order.

Last edited:

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Further to my earlier point:

HuskerOH

Sophomore​

I tried finding Power 5 new hire coaches for the past 5 years with no luck, but I found this, which, in a way, is going to support my thesis. In 2019, these were Head Coaches hired for the Power 5 conferences. At the time, these were sure-fire hires, soon to be the savior of the football programs in dire straights of becoming obsolete!!

Here are the coaches, how they were rated by the superior people of knowledge, which school, current status

1) Ryan Day, A-, tOSU, playing for championships
2) Neal Brown, A-, WVA, on the hot seat
3) Scott Satterfield, B-, Louisville, on the hot seat
4) Matt Wells, B-, Texas Tech, FIRED
5) Les Miles, B-, Kansas, FIRED due to past descressions at LSU...
6) Geoff Collins, C+, Georgia Tech, FIRED
7) Mike Locksley, C+, Maryland, Good hire
8) Manny Diaz, C, Miami, FIRED
9) Mel Tucker, C-, Colorado, No longer there (Maybe fired at MSU)
10) Chris Klieman, C-, Kansas State, Solid hire
11) Mack Brown, D+, UNC, Solid hire

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Alabama is not a good team without all their NFL caliber players. Heisman winning QB bails them out. As well as the high draft lottery picks at other positions.

Campbell has his best recruiting class next year. Better players. Better team.

I agree with Better Players = Better Teams.

But we have been told we have been getting better players the last 2-3 recruiting cycles. Not sure we are seeing the same player development on campus that we saw early in Campbell's tenure.

I think Campbell has done a great job at ISU and the best coach ISU has had during my lifetime. As much as we want to criticize and focus on offense- we have averaged 30+ ppg in Big12 games all but 2 seasons- 2022 and 2017. So I don't think we need to blow things up from a coaching perspective, but some new blood is needed to shake things up. That is not uncommon when a coach has been at a school 7 years. Plus it seems like we need to change our approach to be aggressive on offense and defense. Winning in the margins is a nice mantra, as long as it doesn't become a self fulfilling prophecy and we are unwilling to put our foot to the opponents throat!!! IMO our talent has progressed enough that we can push the margins.

There is a lot of criticism of Manning, but its seems like it is 5 guys that Campbell needs to evaluate and make changes to fix the offense.
  • Manning: OC
  • Myers: OL
  • Gordon: QB Coach & Pass Game Coordinator
  • Scheelhaase: RB, WR & Run Game Coordinator
  • Mouser: TE
I am not saying fire them all, but obvious the assigned roles aren't working. IMO we need a new OL coach (or give Manning that responsibility plus OC). Burt we definitely need a new voice to make our offense more dynamic.

It also seems pretty obvious that there is a problem with Special Teams. This has been an issue Campbell's entire time at ISU. The approach to do the bare minimum so as not to make mistakes, has resulted in our ST being mistake prone. I doubt he will hire a dedicated ST coach. But I would at least give someone like Mouser or Broomfield responsibility to be ST coach in addition to their position responsibilities.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Who's saying that? Certainly not me. I hope and believe Matt can be our Ferentz/Snyder.
That was me until last year.

If he doesn't make some real changes after this season, we must realize he won't be that guy. I'm hoping that enough pressure can build that his hand will forced, because from his press conferences he has shown he can be extremely arrogant and stubborn.

Notice nobody is beating down ISU's door to hire CMC's top guy away, Manning? Meanwhile everyone knows Heacock is doing an incredible job and would love to have him. Only a handful of schools have comparable talent at DC.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I've read some of this thread with K-State comments and come here believing some of you need to 'get grip' in boy talk terms. This thread is laughable.

First, CMC is a fine, still-young coach who most other schools would have loved prior to this year.

Second, coach Klieman canned his very best friend Courtney Messingham - a relationship dating back to their childhood - so, CMC knows if Manning's the issue, he too will be gone after the season.

Three, who the hell you going to get that's better than Matt Campbell, if you canned him? Face the brutal facts, boys.

You have an upper-tier P5 head coach. A damn fine coach with tons of aptitude going forward. Running him off would be a huge perhaps irreplaceable error. A little patience this year is in order.
Klieman is a better coach than CMC. I would make that trade in a heartbeat.

If CMC will not fire Manning, there is no rational expectation that the offense will improve, or that ISU will move away from CampbellBall, which is to now simply keep it close, but still lose.

Taz4President

Oct 3, 2013
Austin TX
Probably a lot of places. Campbell is only 42 years old. He has accomplished a lot. This is a bump. But Campbell didn’t suddenly become a terrible coach. He is a winner.

The last 4 previous Iowa State football coaches had winless Big 12 Conference seasons. And none were fired after those winless conference seasons.

I expect Campbell to stay. And win again.
Ah, I see - you‘re coming at this from the CMC angle. If he wanted to, he could call up some programs, show interest and move on from ISU because he’d have plenty of takers.

That’s an interesting take.