Campos vs Ott?

BurgundyClone

Apr 15, 2007
East of Omaha
I'm seeing articles about this, but how many snaps did Campos even play at left tackle? They've been rotating him to the strong side this year again (all game vs UNI) and I think most of the time at the end of last year. Has anyone ever asked Rhoads what the reasoning is for this? I've never seen this done at the pro level, or college level, and am always puzzled on game day when we're doing this and then nobody talks about it, unless I've missed it?

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I'm seeing articles about this, but how many snaps did Campos even play at left tackle? They've been rotating him to the strong side this year again (all game vs UNI) and I think most of the time at the end of last year. Has anyone ever asked Rhoads what the reasoning is for this? I've never seen this done at the pro level, or college level, and am always puzzled on game day when we're doing this and then nobody talks about it, unless I've missed it?

Probably because he thinks Jake is his best OT. Teams move their best DE around alot to the strong side, and Paul probably wants his best guy blocking him. If anything, it will help Jake for the future. If it works, let it work.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I'm a firm believer you should always have the same five guys and at the same spot unless there's injury, then I understand moving a starter to a different spot depending on the backups best position.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
The reason is it appears the staff feels they have two adequate LTs in Campos and Philbert. Philbert however is strictly a LT hence the reason to give Campos time at RT.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Probably because he thinks Jake is his best OT. Teams move their best DE around alot to the strong side, and Paul probably wants his best guy blocking him. If anything, it will help Jake for the future. If it works, let it work.

Jaypee is the better pass blocker and played LT exclusively. I fully expect to see him take over LT by the Toledo game and expect him against Ott more than Campos

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Hawk fan I know said Ott started at LE but was moved to RE because Ill st had a new LT and they wanted to attack it. Said the RT kinda held him in check while he was over him.

I I am just saying what a hawk fan, an alum who is bearable and from Illinois, told me.

dfwcy

Oct 20, 2008
Hawk fan I know said Ott started at LE but was moved to RE because Ill st had a new LT and they wanted to attack it. Said the RT kinda held him in check while he was over him.

I I am just saying what a hawk fan, an alum who is bearable and from Illinois, told me.

Your friend is wrong. Ott stays on the same side and no one held him in check last week.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014

I think you've missed a lot.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I like how Ott is now some sort of superhuman. Never mind that Pierson had a better game last week.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I like how Ott is now some sort of superhuman. Never mind that Pierson had a better game last week.

Agreed. Where are the articles about who is going to match up with Dale?

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
On the radio during the Ill. St. game, either Dolph or Eddie basically declared Ott was playing like an All-American....after his first sack....very early in an opening game against an FCS team... Wish I could remember exactly how they worded it, for posterity.

KarlHungus

Sep 20, 2014
Dolph is the Harry Caray of Iowa radio...i wouldn't put too much stock into anything he says lol

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
On the radio during the Ill. St. game, either Dolph or Eddie basically declared Ott was playing like an All-American....after his first sack....very early in an opening game against an FCS team... Wish I could remember exactly how they worded it, for posterity.
The LT for Ill State was clearly very bad.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

I just took a look at the Iowa statsheet. I didn't watch the game so I'm perfectly willing to assume they ran away from him and/or otherwise gameplanned around minimizing his impact. Also, for all I know he had another 20 times that he collapsed the pocket or otherwise disrupted the play. But all that said....

2 sacks, 1 assist on a tackle. For 3 total tackles.

That's not bad by any means, but it doesn't look like the stats of somebody who took over a game.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

I don't recall him being much of a factor in last year's game and we return everyone on the line other than Farniok & Bibbs. How many times did Richardson get sacked against iowa?

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Dolph is the Harry Caray of Iowa radio...i wouldn't put too much stock into anything he says lol

Don't you ever disparage the late, great Harry Caray like this ever again. Comparing him to that imbecile is so much wrong it can never be right.

Lafaester54

Mar 18, 2011
Colorado/Wyoming
I thought Ott looked pretty impressive. Also drew a couple of procedure calls as the tackle across from him jumped. That being said, Illinois State is an FCS team an FCS line. We have to be better than that.