Can we do it?

Can this team win 9 or 10 conference games?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
We will find out I guess. I have this conspiracy theory going that this whole Murray thing was a diabolical motivational tactic by Fran, mean to pump his guys up for one game against the big in-state rival.
Your theory is not far fetched, it would not surprise me.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think St Johns is going to be a solid group, they smoke Depaul, a team Okie State struggled with.
The Big East is a strong conference, but thinking that could be a pretty solid win by years end especially if they pull off a couple of upsets.
Depaul is really, really bad. I'm unsure what to think of Okie St. They will probably finish their season similar to us.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
A lot of overreacting to a bad loss in this thread. This team is still solidly in a position to make the tournament assuming they don't mess up one of their last 2 gimmes. They will have no bad losses and at least 1, and probably 2, quad 1 wins from their non-con at the end of the year and nothing but opportunity for more quality wins in the conference. I think 7 wins gets in for sure, and maybe even 6 if they can win 1 down in KC. Honestly the non-con was about as good as anyone could hope for, and now we have the potential to add some additional scoring punch with Tre King.
Just for info purposes, Kenpom has Carolina as an A win, Nova and StJohns as a B, has us as 39% win at Mizzou, and finishing 17-14 (7-11).
I know that's Kenpom and computers, just thought I would post it.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
My take after last night. We are not close to being as bad as we were last night and Iowa is not close to being as good. Guys missing threes for us at a crazy clip and guy for Iowa hitting them at a rate they have NEVER hit them. I don’t think we are as good as last year but we can still do damage

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I said all off-season that I thought defense would regress just a bit and offense would have the same ceiling, but without a true playmaker like Brock to carry us. Don’t overreact to a win or a loss and we’re about where I expected.

I don’t remember exactly how I put it, but basically felt this was going to look more like the rebuilding year you’d have after going 2-22.

Bright future, not so pretty short term.
Reminds me a lot of the football team. Expected a step back but allowed myself to get excited over a fast start.

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
It probably would, but 8-10 will be very difficult for this team. I predicted 7-11 prior to the season, and while I think that is attainable, I think it might be best case scenario.

Torrvik currently projects a loss at Mizzou and an 8-10 conference record fwiw.

Prior to the season I predicted 10-3 with 6 conference wins (Breakdown below). We went +1 in Portland and split this week like I thought. Hopefully we can push for a couple more conference wins as well.

Preseason predictions...

OOC: 10-3 (7-0 buy games, 1-2 PK85, 2-1 St Johns/@ Iowa/ @ Mizzou)

Big 12: 6-12

Big 12 tourney: 0-1

16-16 NIT

The Big 12 will be as tough as ever. Hopefully we don't start in a huge hole. Baylor, @TCU, @Kansas all in the first 5 games.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
My take after last night. We are not close to being as bad as we were last night and Iowa is not close to being as good. Guys missing threes for us at a crazy clip and guy for Iowa hitting them at a rate they have NEVER hit them. I don’t think we are as good as last year but we can still do damage
Iowa does hit 3's at crazy clips like that...against us almost every year. Last season is looking more like a weird anomaly. Last night is more the norm, looking back at the 3 seasons prior to last.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
I hope I am wrong but I don't think this team is Physical Enough to compete in a power conference! JUST MY OPINION @ this point in time.
They are going to need to be more "consistent" on defense to even have a shot at winning 6 or more in conference. This team simply does not have the firepower on offense to compensate for giving up early leads. This fact may change in coming seasons but it seems to be what we have for now.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby and 83cy

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
OSU from what I saw looked like a horrible matchup for ISU again
Not again.......that game was so ugly at Hilton last year.

Yet somehow, they magically won at Oklahoma State last year despite the supposed match up nightmare?? That unlikely road win occurred right after that great 44-point performance in Hilton against TCU.

I am forgetting it. Sweet 16 last year is what mattered most. The ride there was just the ride to get there including those very ugly games at Hilton. It's still light years better than 12 wins total in a season or 2 wins.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not again.......that game was so ugly at Hilton last year.

Yet somehow, they magically won at Oklahoma State last year despite the supposed match up nightmare?? That unlikely road win occurred right after that great 44-point performance in Hilton against TCU.

I am forgetting it. Sweet 16 last year is what mattered most. The ride there was just the ride to get there including those very ugly games at Hilton. It's still light years better than 12 wins total in a season or 2 wins.

Their lengthband speed are the provlem.

ISU hitting threes in Stillwater was the difference around it.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Their lengthband speed are the provlem.

ISU hitting threes in Stillwater was the difference around it.
We have more size this year, so we'll see if it makes a difference. We still don't have shooters or a lot of ability to create our own shot, so not holding my breath.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
I hope I am wrong but I don't think this team is Physical Enough to compete in a power conference! JUST MY OPINION @ this point in time.
Does everyone forget that we knocked off #1 team in country 2 weeks ago? Back to back wins over the NCs and Novas of the world isn't "physical enough" for you?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Depaul is really, really bad. I'm unsure what to think of Okie St. They will probably finish their season similar to us.
The transitive property just doesn't work for non con hoops. It's early and teams have weird nights.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Not if we rebound the way we have.

I think the keys to maximizing our talent are 1. rebounding 2. shot selection 3. keeping Tamin out of fould trouble (so he can stay on the floor). We don't have the size/talent to win the board battles but we were downright embarrassing versus Uconn and Iowa. They both were active and hustled while we often box out poorly and don't aggressively chase down balls (basically waiting for them to come to us). Rebounding is largely a byproduct of awareness and effort. We lack both.

As for the last two we lack the offensive talent to get away with taking many bad shots. Every offensive opportunity needs to be maximized and I think we really need to hammer the pick and roll with Tamin and Osun. Tamin has been our best, most impressive, and steadiest player on the floor. He handles the ball well, can make great entry passes, and usually plays some pretty good defense. Having him avoid ticky-tack fouls and staying on the floor is paramount to our success. Ideally he plays as close to 40 minutes a night as humanly posssibly.

One last thing. I don't know if it's partly coaching or if our players don't understand spacing and how hard to flash, but our zone defense is some of the worst zone I've seen. It may not be our preferred deployment but we HAVE to be able to play a passible zone when guys are in foul trouble. Against Uconn and Iowa were were easily broken down when were were in it. Open shots, drives, and simply easy baskets. Need to be better here.