Changes in enforcement by referees

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
What have you observed this season as changes in enforcement of rules by referees this year?

Here are two that I have wondered about:

1. Traveling. It seems much less frequent for refs to make a traveling call on a player who makes a quick move from outside. It seems less frequent in MBB, WBB, and even high school games.

2. Benches. I've seen refs at men's and women's games yelling and motioning at players and assistant coaches to sit down. Only the head coach seems to be allowed to stand up. Are there actual rules about this?

Reactions: Letterkenny

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
What have you observed this season as changes in enforcement of rules by referees this year?

Here are two that I have wondered about:

1. Traveling. It seems much less frequent for refs to make a traveling call on a player who makes a quick move from outside. It seems less frequent in MBB, WBB, and even high school games.

2. Benches. I've seen refs at men's and women's games yelling and motioning at players and assistant coaches to sit down. Only the head coach seems to be allowed to stand up. Are there actual rules about this?

WBB officials have tightened up (whenever they see fit, anyway) on the mini-hop by players catching a pass around the arc.

There are indeed rules about bench personnel being seated when the ball is live.

Reactions: VeloClone

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Aren't refs supposed to be doing announcements to the crowd when they go to the monitor like they do in the NBA? They do it in SEC games.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
WBB officials have tightened up (whenever they see fit, anyway) on the mini-hop by players catching a pass around the arc.

So, do you think WBB officials are calling the same or more of the traveling calls around the arc? I think they are calling less, but it is just a perception based on the games I've seen. Thus, I'm glad to hear from folks who pay closer attention.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
So, do you think WBB officials are calling the same or more of the traveling calls around the arc? I think they are calling less, but it is just a perception based on the games I've seen. Thus, I'm glad to hear from folks who pay closer attention.

I've noticed the mini-hop a lot more the last couple of seasons mostly because ISU has had a long line of players over the last 25 years who've done it consistently but never been called. But, it's still quite inconsistent (because WBB officiating).

Chalk it up to "points of emphasis" that tend to be emphasized early in the season, then gradually less and less.

Traveling
While continual progress has been made in nearly all aspects of the game that involve traveling, particular emphasis is still needed in these areas: the pre-dribble travel (lifting and replanting the pivot foot, split-feet, and running start), the spin move to the basket, the “Euro” step, and perimeter shooters taking an extra “hop” just after they receive the ball or just before releasing the try. When players are permitted to execute these moves illegally, they provide a distinct advantage to a ball handler or a shooter as well as a disadvantage to a defender; exponentially so when the no-calls are followed by a score, a defensive foul, or both.

• Informative
Reactions: Cycsk

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Agree on the walkity-walk-walk. Never called in the NBA, either, that I can tell.

Could be wrong, but it seems like there is much more contact that is never called, and then 2-3 plays later, the refs call an invisible one on the batterers to even it up.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The women's game overall is easier to call because its just played at a slower level than the men. Its based on shooting from the outside and ball movement, with less dripple drive than the men's game. When was the last time you saw a player in WBB drive to the hoop for a layup and then be forced to use the rim for protection from a blocked shot and lay it in on the other side of the basket? It rarely happens in the women's game.
I tend to think the women's game based on passing the ball and hitting shots from the outside is a purer form of basketball, while the men's game has moved past that and has become much more physical than what was indented.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I'm fine with less traveling called as long as they are consistent. Seems like the "Euro" step is sometimes 3 steps and still not called. That's ok. Just not the 4 steps taken by KU that time they beat K State at the buzzer. That was atrocious!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron