Chizik and his arrogance

ctcarse

Mar 15, 2009
Roanoke, Alabama
How would you like to be in my positon. I graduated from both ISU and Auburn. I'm glad that Chizik left ISU owing to his lack of character but he surfaced at Auburn. Now what do I do? I married into a diehard Crimson Tide family. I want Chizik to fail bigtime but do I root for Bama? Can't see it happening. An Auburn fan rooting for Bama can get you shot down here. Go Clones first then War Eagle.

Reactions: Wesley

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
Im just tierd of this chizik talk. Hes just a coach that dropped the whole Iowa State University on its face.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
First of all, Chizik and all his Chizik apologists should knock off the crap about all the superior talent he brought in. He brought in Leonard Johnson who is a very solid Big 12 cornerback. He brought in a couple of others like Sed Johnson who look like they have potential but aren't ready to play in the Big 12 yet. That's it. Recruiting one impact player in two years is not enough to build a program.

I really like his claim that his plan was working and he was going to win big in years 3 and 4. It's a little late for him to announce his plan now. How come he didn't say "We're going to suck for two years" when he was introduced at ISU?

Bottom line: If you rank ISU football coaches by winning percentage, Gene Chizik is dead last. Not close to the bottom, he is the bottom. Even worse than Jim Walden. And that's going to stay in our record books and on his resume forever. Personally, I think in the future he should always be referred to as "Gene Chizik, worst coach in ISU history".

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
SEC fans have welcomed him with a ballad:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjeNPauuqNc]YouTube - The Ballad of Gene Chizik[/ame]

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Clone fans, it is time to move on. I read the same stuff about Prince on the KSU boards. The man is gone. His tenure is history. MOVE ON!

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
I am not quite sure yet how to feel about his comment about the place being better. I dont think there is a doubt they brought in some athletic talent, probably an upgrade over what we had seen in the waning McCarney years. But it just sounds bad, as if he had 'inherited' a jalopy that was beyond repair.

I do think its a bit disrespectful to the McCarney era..as for the 'no question we were going to win a lot of games in year three and four' I would like to know what he meant by a lot, and while I won't debate year three, year four is very debatable with that schedule.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
To be honest, am i the only ecstatic fan to see that Chizik took the first bus out of Ames? That guy really had no business being here and he really didn't mesh with the iowa state way of doing things

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
To be honest, am i the only ecstatic fan to see that Chizik took the first bus out of Ames? That guy really had no business being here and he really didn't mesh with the iowa state way of doing things

In hindsight, sure. The personality difference between him and Coach Rhoads is amazing.

The trick for Rhoads is to take us to some bowl games so he's here a long, long time.:yes:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Too many sour grapes here. He's not cutting down the institution and he's being positive. Move on Chizik haters...

The only favor Cheezeless did for us was to get another job quickly so that we could get a teaching staff into the fold.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Clone fans, it is time to move on. I read the same stuff about Prince on the KSU boards. The man is gone. His tenure is history. MOVE ON!

Any coach that wins three one year and tops it by winning two the next year before sneaking back to his glory days is not a great coach. Ninety seconds and out did us no favors. Mac would have done the last two years better by us. Do not kid yourself....

Last edited:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
In hindsight, sure. The personality difference between him and Coach Rhoads is amazing.

You can say that again. The "Conversations with...Paul Rhoads" 30-minute show on Mediacom Connections tonight was very well done, with BJ Schaben and Coach Rhoads. Lots of insight into the coach.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007

I was a bit suprised that he left, pissed at the way he slinked out of town like a weasel not even really saying goodbye to his team

But I wasn't entirely sad to see him leave to be sure. I was willing to give Chizik a 3rd year but I was getting skeptical (Managing the play clock, or lack there of, for example), so him leaving probably benefited us in the long run

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
I am not quite sure yet how to feel about his comment about the place being better. I dont think there is a doubt they brought in some athletic talent, probably an upgrade over what we had seen in the waning McCarney years. But it just sounds bad, as if he had 'inherited' a jalopy that was beyond repair.

Seldom do I agree with Jon, but he's right about this. Chizik inherited a team with a sold returning starter and senior at QB, Bret Meyer, plus Todd Blythe, Ahtyba Rubin, and an NFL linebacker, Alvin Bowen. To say that team lacked talent and leadership was wrong. In fact I would say Chizik might have left us with less talent -- which of his recruits have replaced or will replace those guys?

..as for the 'no question we were going to win a lot of games in year three and four' I would like to know what he meant by a lot, and while I won't debate year three, year four is very debatable with that schedule.

Like I posted, why is Chizik saying this now? Why didn't he tell anyone about this "plan" to suck for 2 years then win a lot back when he was hired, or anytime when he was here? And does he really think a 10 game losing streak is a springboard to a "winning a lot"? Why is he even commenting about ISU at all; acting like he set the table for "winning a lot" will certainly not be appreciated by Paul Rhoads. Members of the coaching fraternity usually don't speak ill of each other or set expectations like that for each other. I'm sure it's his way of justifying the fact that he is the worst football coach in ISU history, but a classy guy would just keep his mouth shut about his old job.

Reactions: djcubby

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Im just tierd of this chizik talk. Hes just a coach that dropped the whole Iowa State University on its face.

"He's just a coach..."

That is an interesting statement. I would like someone to provide me proof that this guy actually coached our team. By all appearances all he did was show up to the games. For all we know he was listening to old taped programming from Cotlar and Company on his headset. It certainly would explain why he was asleep on the sideline.

Help Support Us

Become a patron