Chizik's quotes from Big 12 Media days

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Jason Scales and Jesse Smith attended media day with coach. Interesting.

I did chuckle a little at this comment from Gene regarding Scales...

He's played a lot of football at Iowa State in his previous three years and we look forward to a lot of great leadership for him.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
He was asked about the running backs specifically and avoiding mentioning any specific guys - so I guess we'll have to wait a bit more about the future of Bass with ISU.

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
Chizik likes the word "solid"... Kinda cracks me up... I understood you thought they were solid the first time you said it lol

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
You can do the same thing on defense. Special teams. We've started a complete overhaul of our special teams from deep snappers to kick-off guys to extra-point field goal guys. I mean, it's a complete overhaul.

Does anybody have any insight into this? What happened?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'd say early on in the year, I was concerned because I didn't know if our football team really understood or believed that when things got bad that they could respond.

Now, if we go there and we focus and we do the little things, if we don't do the little things it takes to win, then we get embarrassed and we did. We got embarrassed last year more than once.

One thing I love about Chiz is the fact that he does not pull punches.

Reactions: kingcy

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
My favorite quote:

So, like, I guess in Texas their football players are like Chia pets? I'm confused...

I love coaches interviews. Insead of saying "our talent is subpar in some areas, so we'll have to focus on development", he talks about adding water.... If that is the case with McCoy, I think the dude needs to be watered before he plays teams with a decent pass rush....

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007

Ya, our special teams stink. Remember the Toledo game? Chizik knows field position is huge and we rarely put ourselves in a favorable position with good returns or keeping the other team from doing the same. Short kickoffs with big run backs often put our defense in a hole. We've brought in new kickers and hopefully the coverage will be better too.

rahtotheames

Aug 3, 2006
My favorite thing about Chizik that we had a problem with Mac is that he says he is going to look for the 22 best on both sides of the ball. It felt that with Mac, the talent dropoff between strings was enormous.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ya, our special teams stink. Remember the Toledo game? Chizik knows field position is huge and we rarely put ourselves in a favorable position with good returns or keeping the other team from doing the same. Short kickoffs with big run backs often put our defense in a hole. We've brought in new kickers and hopefully the coverage will be better too.

Trust me, I was aware with their struggles last year. What I was interested in is what changes were made. I mean he said a completely overhaul so that includes more than just bringing in two freshman kickers.

Did they change their formations, stuff like that?

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Whatever overhaul means, it's good that special teams are getting some much needed attention. That alone may be worth 2 more wins this year.

klerme

Apr 11, 2006

Just a hunch, but he may just be referring to the fact that everyone that was at the positions he mentioned graduated (Shaggy, Griebahn, Purvis) and so everyone will be new to those positions this year.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
Great interview -- thanks for posting! IMO -- the biggest question mark for this team is will somebody be able to step up at the defensive tackle position? It doesn't get as much press as QB, WR, or LB but this is the most difficult position to recruit and we lost a good one in Rubin. Can somebody make me feel better?

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Great interview -- thanks for posting! IMO -- the biggest question mark for this team is will somebody be able to step up at the defensive tackle position? It doesn't get as much press as QB, WR, or LB but this is the most difficult position to recruit and we lost a good one in Rubin. Can somebody make me feel better?

We have the bodies with Frere, B. Johnson, Weir, Tate and Alburtis. It's not like we're scrambling for players. It is up to these guys to perform.

EDIT: Forgot about Jerrod Black. He could be a guy to keep an eye on.