Closest P5 comparison to Iowa State?

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Virginia Tech

I lived in the Richmond, VA area and had an Engineering department of appx 40 people. I hired engineers out of Old Dominion, NC State, Virginia Tech and others. VT is very very similar to ISU in a lot of ways.
We are very similar to Virginia Tech, culturally, athletically, and fan base passion. We should strive to be a Virginia Tech in football (although they have a distinct advantage of better in-state talent and weaker flagship in-state rival). And, they should strive to be more like us in basketball.

Our ceiling peer would be Michigan State imo. Successful in both football and basketball as the state’s second fiddle. But not really a blue blood in either. Our floor peer would be Washington State, on death’s doorstep.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
What other school in the power 5 in your mind most closely represents a direct comparison to Iowa State and it's athletics profile/history/experience, and why?

I'd say NC State and Washington State, but I'm curious what others would say.
For the Washington State comparisons, you could compare historical success but you guys do realize ISU more than doubles their attendance figures, right?

Reactions: khardbored

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
For the Washington State comparisons, you could compare historical success but you guys do realize ISU more than doubles their attendance figures, right?
Iowa State also has a large population center nearby. Wazzu doesn't.

The Spokane metro is smaller than the DSM metro and is an hour and a half away.

It's closer to Missoula MT than it is to Boise. Literally the middle of nowhere.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Interesting, looking at the other schools, however, can't believe so many are leaving kansas state out.

Because ISU has at least won national championships in Olympic sports.

Last I knew, KSU had 0 total.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Auburn is known for its engineering/vet med curriculum. They also have a good supply chain management program in the business school, like ISU.

The town in very much centered around the University, with closest “large” city, Montgomery about 45 mins away.

AU always plays Bama tough, but there’s a whole generation of kids and T-shirt fans wearing Crimson these days because of Bama’s dynasty the past 15+ years. That said, Auburn has proud fans and the people wearing blue and orange typically have a family connection to the school. Sound familiar?
I went to a game at Auburn and it definitely was close to home and reminded me of ISU....college campus, curriculum focus, how they deal with Bama...etc.

Reactions: MugNight

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
Yep, land grant school focused on STEM and Ag. Fans of other state school consider you to be inferior although your enrollment is larger and your graduates tend to stay in area to assist/grow regional business.
I don’t like to generalize, but I’ll pick hanging out with an NC State grad over a Duke/UNC person 99 times out of 100.

David Freshman1982

Sep 14, 2022
Good thing NC State is similar to ISU, because they'll be our conference competitor once the ACC gets carved up. I think it's a slam dunk that NCSt and Pitt come to the B12.

• Agree

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
University of Illinois at Champaign, IL. Champaign and Ames are like sister towns.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I know they're not Power 5, but after having recently visited Fort Collins, Colorado State feels pretty similar to Iowa State (minus the mountain chain to the west).

Indiana has a similar history of football struggles to ours; though at least they have far greater basketball history to point to.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron