[Commitment Watch] 2023 QB Legacy JJ Kohl

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
I'll be really curious to watch how this kid develops over his final years in high school. He's at 6' 6", 230lb as a sophomore, so unless they've lied about his birth year, he's very likely not done growing.

He may be a TE at the next level, possibly even ending up with his hand on the ground on either side of the ball.

• Agree
Reactions: Remo Gaggi

werdnamanhill

(⌐■_■)
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 23, 2017
Eastern IA -> Raleigh, NC -> Madison, WI
I'll be really curious to watch how this kid develops over his final years in high school. He's at 6' 6", 230lb as a sophomore, so unless they've lied about his birth year, he's very likely not done growing.

He may be a TE at the next level, possibly even ending up with his hand on the ground on either side of the ball.

I'm betting he is a QB. He impressed the coaching staff with his throws at camp.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Meh. I played BB in junior high and high school with a couple of guys who were our starting posts in junior high because they were bigger than everyone else at about 6'. They never saw the floor in high school because they didn't grow any more and neither did their ball handling skills. They had only learned how to be posts.

Everybody grows at different times and at different rates. A big high school sophomore could very well be done growing. He could also grow more, but I don't think he will get significantly bigger.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
If one of my kids went to TOE they would be cut out of our will.

Ha! I did my undergrad and grad work at ISU. Three of our children have attended at least part of their college career at ISU, with my youngest there now. My other daughter attended the U of I as she wanted to focus on creative writing and Iowa had one of the top programs. It was a good decision for her and I supported it, but that doesn't stop the rivalry and she gets lots of gruff from me. I do have one shirt with the Tiger Hawk on it, and that is her jersey I wear to her soccer club games when competing against other universities. However, when they played at ISU, I told her I just couldn't possibly wear that on the ISU campus, and didn't. I believe I also told her if she ever dated Jordan Bohannon, we would have to discuss her family membership!

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
One of our best friends' daughter had her graduation party this past weekend. She is going to Iowa. They are diehard Cyclones living in Ames, but her field of study makes Iowa a better choice. I will hate it if one of my kids end up at Iowa, but in the end it is about a quality education. I'm pretty sure that whatever they want to study there will be other options that make sense since we are out of state for Iowa anyway.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
One of our best friends' daughter had her graduation party this past weekend. She is going to Iowa. They are diehard Cyclones living in Ames, but her field of study makes Iowa a better choice. I will hate it if one of my kids end up at Iowa, but in the end it is about a quality education. I'm pretty sure that whatever they want to study there will be other options that make sense since we are out of state for Iowa anyway.

Always love the Johnny Orr quote in your messages!

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
I am a total failure as a dad. All 3 of my kids ended up in medical fields and served time in IC. o_O At least they have jobs because they can't come home. ;)

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Wouldn't bother me if my kids went to UI (although I've already planted the seeds of them going out of IA). What I have done is basically forbade going to UNL. There is simply no reason to attend that clown junior college.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
How would you rank those 3 '23 QBs?
That’s kinda tough for me, because it’s so early. They all have so much more time to develop.

Right now, Brayden Dorman and Avery Johnson are both rated 90 by 247, though Dorman is a few notches higher. JJ Kohl is new enough that he hasn’t been ranked yet.

I’m no Jay Jordan, but when I look at their film, there are traits that stand out to me.

Dorman has a good arm and a nice touch, often conflicting traits that some quarterbacks never master. Unfortunately, his six minutes of sophomore highlights don’t include any running plays, though he does roll out a few times.

Avery Johnson, on the other hand, is a freak athlete with a huge arm. That said, at a current 6’2” 167 (from a recent camp), he’s not as big as the other two.

Then there is JJ. He’s even bigger than Dorman, and might have similar passing ability (looking off dissimilar video is rough to compare—that’s why coaches like camped so much). He’s mobile enough to roll out and throw, and also has some running plays on his highlights.

Of course, JJ earned his offer right in front of Matt Campbell.

All three players have some sort of tie to Iowa State. Dorman’s dad (both parents?) is an ISU alum. Johnson (from Maize) was discovered by Breece Hall, from nearby Wichita—and his basketball coach is Caleb Grill’s dad. And he plays hoops with Caleb’s brother. And JJ’s dad, of course, is one of the best kickers in ISU history.

All in all right now, I think I would put all three pretty much on the same level. Things may—and probably will—change with time, of course. Perhaps even drastically. But then, that’s how recruiting happens.