Concrete Repair to Driveway

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Iowa Concrete Leveling. I called them back after year 2 and they said that can happen.
This is who I used at my old house with sagging slab in garage and the concrete sidewalk around the outside of the garage tilting towards house. They did a great job.

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
This is who I used at my old house with sagging slab in garage and the concrete sidewalk around the outside of the garage tilting towards house. They did a great job.

How long has it been? I don’t know why mine didn’t take but wasn’t a good job at all. I used to live down the street from CYEATHAWK and he had good luck also.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
How long has it been? I don’t know why mine didn’t take but wasn’t a good job at all. I used to live down the street from CYEATHAWK and he had good luck also.
I think mine was done in 2016, maybe 2017. It held up really well.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
We had that done for our driveway and all I can say is it works great......for a temporary solution. There is no way they can guarantee every inch of slab will get the proper support. It will fail in the future. For sidewalks and smaller areas that isn't an issue. But with the cost of concrete, if it's that bad just break up the old and re-do it right.
Yeah I've never had to do that on any of our houses that we build. Not really sure what it cost to get it done. Biggest problem with flat work is they tear up your yard and everything around it that's why I don't really care to redo concrete if there's another way around it.

clone4life82

Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny

maybe it’s just me but I would think that if it doesn’t take the first time through with fixing it. There is a larger, underlying issue that if you don’t take care of it will continue to create further issues down the road (or: maybe there’s a drainage issue away from the house that causes the rain water runoff to wash the base away from underneath the original paving).

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
maybe it’s just me but I would think that if it doesn’t take the first time through with fixing it. There is a larger, underlying issue that if you don’t take care of it will continue to create further issues down the road (or: maybe there’s a drainage issue away from the house that causes the rain water runoff to wash the base away from underneath the original paving).
That is plausible. It doesn’t matter anymore as I sold the house and moved.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
A lot of the issue with concrete drive slab or sidewalk failure occurs in the area that is backfilled after footing/foundation work is done. If these areas are not compacted properly they will fail. Same goes for any repair areas. Compact the soil well and provide some granular rock fill that allows moisture to move out of the area. If you don't, plan on fixing it again down the road.

• Informative
Reactions: Aclone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
A lot of the issue with concrete drive slab or sidewalk failure occurs in the area that is backfilled after footing/foundation work is done. If these areas are not compacted properly they will fail. Same goes for any repair areas. Compact the soil well and provide some granular rock fill that allows moisture to move out of the area. If you don't, plan on fixing it again down the road.
The tile can slowly suck away also. Best to not landscape hard right away. Let things work and get packed well. Then you may need to top off a little and then Landscape.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

This is good advice. I would also add if you plan to be in the house for a long time to pour the cement 2' thicker and over-do it on re-bar. The cement slabs I park on were poured over 20 years ago and there isn't a crack in them but we poured them 6" thick with plenty of re-bar.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

Well, where we live(cymac2408 use to)you could have done all the preventative measures you want....the original pour was bad. Like amateur hour bad. They poured 3 inches.....no bar over round rock. That is sidewalk grade work right there. For a driveway. How they got away with that is beyond me, but almost every house in this development has either done the temporary jack up or had a new one poured to 4" re-bar specs. Ours is so bad it's almost to the point I won't need a jack hammer to get it up.

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
Kind of related but not the same... I have low spots in garage floor under my cars rear tires.

Anyone ever done anything to fix this?

Guessing I would have to use some kind of filler to get that back to level, but don't want mess pitch up. Also, the filler probably wont match the existing smooth surface. Doesn't have a drain

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Similar to the OP but different - Has anyone had millings put on their driveway? We have a gravel driveway that plowing snow destroys and I am sick of replacing the gravel every couple years. A client told me to call Manatts and have them install millings. Supposedly it is a good alternative to paving it at only a fraction of the cost.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Similar to the OP but different - Has anyone had millings put on their driveway? We have a gravel driveway that plowing snow destroys and I am sick of replacing the gravel every couple years. A client told me to call Manatts and have them install millings. Supposedly it is a good alternative to paving it at only a fraction of the cost.
It’s basically ground up asphalt. So if you get enough heat and packing, it will be close. It’s getting the packing done right that is critical.

• Agree
Reactions: CYEATHAWK

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

Never used them, but if you are familiar with old country gravel roads... I think it's the material they use as a base before putting a permanent surface down. Should work just fine for a driveway.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
It’s basically ground up asphalt. So if you get enough heat and packing, it will be close. It’s getting the packing done right that is critical.

Yeah that's basically what my friend said. He said have them put down late July/August (when it's hot) and pack them in with a Skid Loader (one with wheels and not tracks). I am guessing my race hauler would pack it in pretty good.

I would think I'd also be able to pay Manatt's to roll it in with one of their concrete/asphalt rollers

• Informative
Reactions: Pat

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If you do have someone mud jack your slab don't be fooled by someone who brags that they will give you the same result while boring fewer holes in your slab. If they do fewer holes the grout will contact the slab in fewer places and the slab will be more likely to crack or resettle over time. Think of the grout as flattened cones of grout at each of the fill holes. Fewer holes means less grout contact points holding up your slab. The contractor bragging this method gets the benefit of having to use less grout to complete your job.

By the same token if they are bragging about cutting really tiny diameter holes they are using grout that doesn't have the thickness or proper sized aggregate to last.

I'm no expert but I did a lot of research before having my front stoop mud jacked where it had started to slope toward the garage.

Reactions: Aclone

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Yeah that's basically what my friend said. He said have them put down late July/August (when it's hot) and pack them in with a Skid Loader (one with wheels and not tracks). I am guessing my race hauler would pack it in pretty good.

I would think I'd also be able to pay Manatt's to roll it in with one of their concrete/asphalt rollers
Asphalt millings can make a nice looking drive if applied correctly. They must be proper screened for correct sizing. They do not stand much heavy traffic (car haulers and garbage trucks).

• Informative
Reactions: isufbcurt

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Asphalt millings can make a nice looking drive if applied correctly. They must be proper screened for correct sizing. They do not stand much heavy traffic (car haulers and garbage trucks).

They have to hold up better than the gravel I already have lol

I was told to make sure it is millings that have been reground at a plant because they millings that are ground at the road site will have particles that are to big.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
They have to hold up better than the gravel I already have lol

I was told to make sure it is millings that have been reground at a plant because they millings that are ground at the road site will have particles that are to big.
Is this the same as chip seal? We had that done on one of our driveways and it's been great. Our gravel driveway is almost unusable right now but the chip seal is fine except a couple soft spots.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron