Conference Schedules Post Realignment

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
Setting up a different thread to discuss how you would set up the conference after the dust settles.

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
I personally prefer protected rivalries.

16 teams works better than fourteen in my model.

Each team gets three protected rivals that you play every year. The remaining 12 you play every other year.

TeamR1R2R3
ISUKUKSOSU
ASUAZCOLBYU
AZASUKUUU
UUBYUTTAZ
COLKSASUTT
KSCOLISUKU
KUISUAZKS
TTTCUUUCOL
BAYUCFBYUTCU
HOUOSUCINWV
OSUHOUTCUISU
TCUTTOSUBAY
CINWVHOUUCF
UCFBAYWVCIN
WVCINUCFHOU
BYUUUBAYASU

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
If we stay at 16, I like the idea of 3 protected rivalries. If we go to 18 (let's say we get Stanford and UConn for the sake of argument), I like creating 3 pods based on geography. You would play the 5 opponents in your pod every year in football and 4 of the remaining 12 once every 3 years.

WEST:
Stanford
BYU
Utah
Arizona
ASU
Colorado

CENTRAL/NORTH:
ISU
Kansas
KSU
OSU...... or UConn
TTU........ or Cincinnati
Baylor..... . or W. Virginia

EAST/SOUTH:
TCU
Houston
UCF
UConn...... or OSU
Cincinnati...... or TTU
W. Virginia...... or Baylor

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's boring and won't happen but for football: two divisions, one random cross-divisional game, division winners play in the conference title game.

Not sure what to do with basketball. Protected rivalries to keep home/home would be fun.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
It's boring and won't happen but for football: two divisions, one random cross-divisional game, division winners play in the conference title game.

Not sure what to do with basketball. Protected rivalries to keep home/home would be fun.

I’m not a fan of the divisions and only playing one in another division. I prefer a schedule where you play all conference members at least once every 4 years. None of this Iowa stuff of avoiding Ohio state and Penn State for years on end.

QBEagles

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 11, 2014
I don't see a clean way to do divisions (I won't use the p-word), but I agree the three rivals system is more flexible anyway. Play those three annually in football and everyone else 2 out of 4. Basketball would be home-and-home with rivals and everyone else once. I came up with:

Team123
UCFWVUCincyHouston
CincyWVUUCFHouston
WVUCincyUCFISU
ISUKSUKUWVU
KUKSUISUOSU
KSUKUISUCO
OSUKUCOBaylor
TTHoustonTCUBaylor
BaylorTCUTTOSU
TCUBaylorTTBYU
HoustonTTUCFCincy
COKSUOSUAZ
UTBYUAZASU
BYUUTTCUASU
AZASUUTCO
ASUAZUTBYU

- ISU/WVU is driven from the WVU end. If they have to have 3 everyone else makes even less sense.
- Kind of lame to give Houston only one other TX team, but the other AAC teams don't have history with anyone else. TT seems to be their biggest TX rival.
- OSU/Baylor isn't much of a thing, but OSU likes playing in TX and they've played annually for a while now.
- TCU/BYU makes no geographic sense, but they were old MW rivals.
- I couldn't get UT/CO to work, but I don't think that ever really caught on.

Alternatively, you could use the (now scrapped) B1g 16-team system and just have up to three rivals. In that case cross out the ones that don't make sense and maybe add a few that couldn't be worked in.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I still think we need to do something different and follow the NFL model. "Divisions" of 4 with your protected rivals. Schedule of:

3 games against your divisions
4 games against a yearly rotation division
2 games against the same place finishers across divisions from the previous year.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
3 games in your group
2 games against each other group, flipping every 2 years (teams 1/2 for 3/4)

Play non-group opponents home and away once in a 4-year cycle -- like the original Big 12.

A1A2A3A4B1B2C1C2D1D2
A2A1A3A4B1B2C1C2D1D2
A3A1A2A4B3B4C3C4D3D4
A4A1A2A3B3B4C3C4D3D4
B1B2B3B4A1A2C1C2D1D2
B2B1B3B4A1A2C1C2D1D2
B3B1B2B4A3A4C3C4D3D4
B4B1B2B3A3A4C3C4D3D4
C1C2C3C4A1A2B1B2D1D2
C2C1C3C4A1A2B1B2D1D2
C3C1C2C4A3A4B3B4D3D4
C4C1C2C3A3A4B3B4D3D4
D1D2D3D4A1A2B1B2C1C2
D2D1D3D4A1A2B1B2C1C2
D3D1D2D4A3A4B3B4C3C4
D4D1D2D3A3A4B3B4C3C4

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I still think we need to do something different and follow the NFL model. "Divisions" of 4 with your protected rivals. Schedule of:

2 games against the same place finishers across divisions from the previous year.
This helps with parity too. I like this solution. Some of the options with the three protected rivals are pretty rough

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I’m not a fan of the divisions and only playing one in another division. I prefer a schedule where you play all conference members at least once every 4 years. None of this Iowa stuff of avoiding Ohio state and Penn State for years on end.

Yeah anything that's consistent I guess is all I ask for in the end.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net

Love this idea.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I don't see a clean way to do divisions (I won't use the p-word), but I agree the three rivals system is more flexible anyway. Play those three annually in football and everyone else 2 out of 4. Basketball would be home-and-home with rivals and everyone else once. I came up with:

Team123
UCFWVUCincyHouston
CincyWVUUCFHouston
WVUCincyUCFISU
ISUKSUKUWVU
KUKSUISUOSU
KSUKUISUCO
OSUKUCOBaylor
TTHoustonTCUBaylor
BaylorTCUTTOSU
TCUBaylorTTBYU
HoustonTTUCFCincy
COKSUOSUAZ
UTBYUAZASU
BYUUTTCUASU
AZASUUTCO
ASUAZUTBYU

- ISU/WVU is driven from the WVU end. If they have to have 3 everyone else makes even less sense.
- Kind of lame to give Houston only one other TX team, but the other AAC teams don't have history with anyone else. TT seems to be their biggest TX rival.
- OSU/Baylor isn't much of a thing, but OSU likes playing in TX and they've played annually for a while now.
- TCU/BYU makes no geographic sense, but they were old MW rivals.
- I couldn't get UT/CO to work, but I don't think that ever really caught on.

Alternatively, you could use the (now scrapped) B1g 16-team system and just have up to three rivals. In that case cross out the ones that don't make sense and maybe add a few that couldn't be worked in.

Playing @wvu less in hoops is one of my favorite hopes of realignment.

Maybe they’ll change post Huggins but I haven’t even considered that a real basketball game in many years. I go clean my sock drawer that night.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009

This. I don't understand why the pods that everyone hates so much can't just be your protected rivals.

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
I personally prefer protected rivalries.

16 teams works better than fourteen in my model.

Each team gets three protected rivals that you play every year. The remaining 12 you play every other year.
I think you about nailed it. The only change I'd feel strongly about is flipping the two games bolded below.

TeamR1R2R3
ISUKUKSOSU
ASUAZCOLBYU
AZASUKUTT
UUBYUTTCOL
COLKSASUUU
KSCOLISUKU
KUISUAZKS
TTTCUUUAZ
BAYUCFBYUTCU
HOUOSUCINWV
OSUHOUTCUISU
TCUTTOSUBAY
CINWVHOUUCF
UCFBAYWVCIN
WVCINUCFHOU
BYUUUBAYASU

Reactions: Allikat

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013

Solid idea. If parity/creating the most big matchups is the goal, then this is probably the way to do it.

I still like the idea of playing everybody every other year, but this outside the box format may be a close second for me.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron