Cryptocurrency

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Age is just a number man!

Paris and Jimmy bought one! Keep up! :)

Again it's not for me anyway, I have no interest in collecting anything, I don't find them interesting, and literally have no idea why anybody would spend .01 on any of these things.

You don't follow Haliburton? Steph Curry, Von Miller, The Biebs, Jimmy Fallon, Snoop, Eminem, Kevin Hart? Haven't ever wondered about the shoes some of these NBA or NFL guys are wearing?

Honestly, no, don't follow any of those guys on social and I don't know anything about the shoes the NBA or NFL guys are wearing other than they cover their feet.

Reactions: Jer

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021
Again it's not for me anyway, I have no interest in collecting anything, I don't find them interesting, and literally have no idea why anybody would spend .01 on any of these things.

Yeah, I guess I don't find them that different then most any art or collectable. How many times have you seen some abstract "classic" and think to yourself "I could do that"? Often, the value is not tied to nuance of the art itself. A pixelated crypto punk isn't exactly breath taking. But value is is more often due to the fame of the artist, the time period or setting of the piece, the scarcity, the cultural importance, etc. Through that lens I can understand why folks find value in digital art.

Ames

Sep 5, 2006
Look at how this has backfired in the video game industry for example - the vast majority of end users hate the concept and public outcry has forced many developers to abandon NFT plans which were never popular with their intended audience or even the rank and file employees forced to work on them.

I won't say it's impossible that Bored Ape Yacht Club becomes a brand on its own. It's getting more and more eyes on it all the time. Then again, the decentralized nature of it kind of fights that right? Each individual Ape has its own owner, so there is no unified brand. But all that said I feel totally comfortable saying that if it turns out that BAYC takes off and goes mainstream, I'll be willing to sit on the sidelines and scratch my head and won't feel an ounce of regret.
Gamers are pretty invested into whatever platforms they are on. They have good money tied up in digital goods. So yeah they don't want to see a change. I wouldn't say the gaming companies all abandon plans. Most of them are going to do the same crypto tech they pitched just privately. Then if they want to interop later it's already done.

BAYC the company has a lot of employees and is sitting on a ton of money. They would license the use of the BAYC logo. So if you wanted the logo you'd talk to them. If you wanted an ape you'd find an ape holder.

So there is a restaurant that bought an ape. It's their logo. That's it that's all they need to do. Arizona Iced Tea bought an ape and then used its ape and the BAYC logo. BAYC came after them for not having licensed the BAYC logo.

The company is going to issue ape coins. They are sorting out all the legal, but the assumption is the ape holders get issued the coins. Then they either get a taste of that parent companies money or it becomes a DAO; so more like stock or voting rights. Either way owning the ape is going to be good; even if you just hodl.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Yeah, I guess I don't find them that different then most any art or collectable. How many times have you seen some abstract "classic" and think to yourself "I could do that"? Often, the value is not tied to nuance of the art itself. A pixelated crypto punk isn't exactly breath taking. But value is is more often due to the fame of the artist, the time period or setting of the piece, the scarcity, the cultural importance, etc. Through that lens I can understand why folks find value in digital art.

I didn't mean to disparage it. I wouldn't spend any money on any art, baseball cards, etc. BAYC stuff looks like Garbage Pail Kids stuff to me if we want to go old school on it. If it's art, and the purchasers get some kind of intrinsic value from looking at it good for them. If it's people buying them as an investment I think they are utterly insane.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
Gamers are pretty invested into whatever platforms they are on. They have good money tied up in digital goods. So yeah they don't want to see a change. I wouldn't say the gaming companies all abandon plans. Most of them are going to do the same crypto tech they pitched just privately. Then if they want to interop later it's already done.

BAYC the company has a lot of employees and is sitting on a ton of money. They would license the use of the BAYC logo. So if you wanted the logo you'd talk to them. If you wanted an ape you'd find an ape holder.

So there is a restaurant that bought an ape. It's their logo. That's it that's all they need to do. Arizona Iced Tea bought an ape and then used its ape and the BAYC logo. BAYC came after them for not having licensed the BAYC logo.

The company is going to issue ape coins. They are sorting out all the legal, but the assumption is the ape holders get issued the coins. Then they either get a taste of that parent companies money or it becomes a DAO; so more like stock or voting rights. Either way owning the ape is going to be good; even if you just hodl.

Interesting - didn't realize the business model of BAYC - that it had a central brand or "issuing" organization. So the idea is that owning one of the apes would be like owning stock? While I think it's convoluted and not a value add to do it using NFTs and crypto, they are at least capitalizing on a current trend. Seems like they are savvy business people in charge of this thing. Maybe BAYC becomes the beanie babies of the 2020s and in 10 years after the hype dies down they'll still have a business that makes something people want.

I do generally agree with your point about gamers/gaming. You know that there is a crypto enthusiast somewhere in the upper levels of leadership in these companies who has really bought in to the NFT fad, or cynically still thinks they can use it to cash in on hype to pump their stock price. They won't let these ideas die. They'll keep trying to force them on their customers until one side gives. Either gamers will win and we'll stop the NFT nonsense, or like the days when selling "Horse Armor" in Oblivion was also a cause for extreme backlash they will eventually give in. My vote is that NFTs will be gone from (mainstream) games due to the problems that real money trading bring - gamers don't want NFTs and game studios will realize it's not in their best interests either due to the additional regulatory burden and game balance issues with minimal return. There's a reason that Valve, Blizzard, EA, etc have been very careful to avoid allowing their digital items to be exchanged for real money or walked back from previous times they did. And that reason is not profit motive - they could (and did) take a cut of every transaction under the old scheme.

I need a Bitcoin for Dummies. Help!

Bitcoin for dummies - think of Bitcoin as something similar to investing in gold, only more highly volatile and with a much higher chance of going to zero value. It's an investment product you can buy that's relatively uncorrelated to the US Dollar and could potentially serve as a hedge against inflation. There's also a small chance it will gain a high adoption rate and the value of Bitcoin will skyrocket. I personally think this is very unlikely, but you can tell I'm the skeptic in this crowd. It's not money, just like gold is not money. But it can be exchanged for money.

You can buy Bitcoin using exchanges. Coinbase is the most famous one and probably the most reliable. Think of them like Fidelity or Vanguard - the broker you can use to buy/sell and manage your asset. There are other ways to buy Bitcoin or other cryptos, for advanced users only. I wouldn't recommend it.

Ethereum is a strong second place to Bitcoin in terms of crypto currencies. If Bitcon is gold, Ethereum is silver.

Any other crypto is extremely speculative and not worth your time unless you're highly dedicated and really know your stuff or you're just looking to play around with some spare money you don't mind losing. Think of the other cryptocurrencies like penny stocks.

Reactions: swiacy

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
@CyCrazy and @dafarmer see below for a starting point. I’m sure as you read through these and other resources you will have more and more questions. Feel free to post them here. I am sure myself and other users will help get them answered or point you to additional resources.

High-level Introduction (basics):

Why bitcoin is different from other cryptocurrencies:

Bitcoin Misconceptions (podcast, but second link is a power point following along the podcast if you prefer that)

southernfriedCY

Feb 11, 2009
My Cash app recently added Bitcoin buy and sell to their feature set. They make it pretty easy. Is this a good way to get started with Bitcoin, or is there a more preferred way to trade it?

Ames

Sep 5, 2006
My Cash app recently added Bitcoin buy and sell to their feature set. They make it pretty easy. Is this a good way to get started with Bitcoin, or is there a more preferred way to trade it?
If that's the way you are comfortable it's fine. I'm more ok with buying BTC that way than ETH since you might really want to use the ETH.

I'd look at Coinbase or FTX. If you are comfortable with trading stocks then look at Coinbase Pro to save on fees.

Reactions: southernfriedCY

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021

I should add, if you just want some exposure to being able to trade the volatility cash app would be fine. But, if you are looking at this as a long term investment then I would purchase the actual bitcoin.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm old also. Just don't tell anyone on Discord.

You don't follow Haliburton? Steph Curry, Von Miller, The Biebs, Jimmy Fallon, Snoop, Eminem, Kevin Hart? Haven't ever wondered about the shoes some of these NBA or NFL guys are wearing?

Yeah it's all early days and has a long ways to go. 1 day in crypto land is like 1 week in the real world so it will come soon enough.

Checked back on this - Apparently Biebs might not have actually spent any real money on any of those NFTs and it might be a grift for one of his personal friends.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
if miners do not profit from their purchase of stx then they will cease to participate in the network. If they profit, then it wouldn't be a tax. The beauty is that is it self regulating. Ultimately the people will determine the value of Miami coin. Maybe it will go to zero as a failed experiment.

Or, it could gain traction. Annualized returns at current rates pay 20% of the entire cities' taxes. These are powerful ideas. There are many things residents and business owners could if they wanted to encourage use of the local currency. Discounts, entry to special events, etc. The city of Miami could establish a premium beach district that used Miami coin for entry. Options are endless.

I am not convinced this will work, but I love the innovation and community focus.

Check in here too:

I'm not sure the community focus is a positive here, considering the coin has crashed and a lot of local people bought into it. It has no practical usage and only one exchange lists it.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Timely question here... suppose crypto supplants all government currencies - no more central banks. This is the ultimate vision for crypto, right? To replace the dollar [€, £, ¥... whatever] with a totally anonymous, decentralized currency on a block chain.

So say that happens prior to Russia invading Ukraine. How does the West react? We can't sanction RUS since there are no central banks or clearinghouses. We can't aid Ukraine militarily because we don't have a treaty/alliance. So what is the answer in that scenario? Just full nuclear deterrence between everyone that has nukes? And anyone with enough crypto to buy a bomb can join the party?

I mean I get that you don't want the gubmint to know about your beanie baby collection or whatever but is it that important compared to national security?