Cutting weight

Proton

SuperFanatic
Aug 19, 2019
Can any of you who are more knowledgeable about wrestling sell me on the benefits of cutting weight? Looking at the roster I see that Conor Knopick, for example, wrestled previously at 132 and 138 pounds. On the roster, he’s listed at 125. Maybe it’s more common than I realize, but it seems odd.

These guys have an interesting discussion on the topic here:

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Can any of you who are more knowledgeable about wrestling sell me on the benefits of cutting weight? Looking at the roster I see that Conor Knopick, for example, wrestled previously at 132 and 138 pounds. On the roster, he’s listed at 125. Maybe it’s more common than I realize, but it seems odd.

These guys have an interesting discussion on the topic here:
Some of the best kids in high school wrestle up weights for more competition. He might have weighed 130-135 full feed and not cut at all or wrestled above his weight to get good matches. In college, you can’t do that. I don’t know what he weighs but I’ll continue with him as an example. If he weighs 135 then cutting 2 pounds means he isn’t really cutting to make 133. That’s fine if no one else is sucking down but if everyone else is then he’d be wrestling guys who generally weigh 140-150 at 133. Most kids now are better about nutrition and stay more lean throughout the season and don’t binge eat and drink. They have access to nutritionists and dietitians and can plan better. Carr was cutting a decent amount last year to get to 157 but that happens when you might be best suited for a weight that doesn’t exist between two weight classes and you have to make a decision.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Cutting wgt is probably the toughest thing about the sport of wrestling (boxing, MMA, etc)... IF you don't cut it makes it really hard to be able to compete against the top level guys that do cut. There's a ton of examples of talented 125'rs who aren't really big enough and they can't cut down a weight. They are great wrestlers but get out horsed so their career never pans out.

Proton said - "Sell me the benefit of cutting weight?" My answer would be to look at the career of Matt McDonough for U of Iowa. He ended up his career as a 3x finalist & 2x champ. IMO if he would not have cut weight I'd argue that he would have never been a starter and most likely would have never been a champ.

That said, there is also a ton of stories of guys who arguably cut too much weight and they didn't achieve their goals because the focus was on weight control > becoming a better wrestler. It's a fine line IMO. Some of the most talented wrestlers don't need to cut but they are absolutely elite. However, most of those wrestlers are so disciplined in their nutrition and workouts 365 days a year that they are technically cutting weight 24/7.

This year will be an amazing test for David Carr who's moving up to 165. We can discuss this at the end of the year after we see how he handles bigger and stronger competition.

Proton

SuperFanatic
Aug 19, 2019
Cutting wgt is probably the toughest thing about the sport of wrestling (boxing, MMA, etc)... IF you don't cut it makes it really hard to be able to compete against the top level guys that do cut. There's a ton of examples of talented 125'rs who aren't really big enough and they can't cut down a weight. They are great wrestlers but get out horsed so their career never pans out.

Proton said - "Sell me the benefit of cutting weight?" My answer would be to look at the career of Matt McDonough for U of Iowa. He ended up his career as a 3x finalist & 2x champ. IMO if he would not have cut weight I'd argue that he would have never been a starter and most likely would have never been a champ.

That said, there is also a ton of stories of guys who arguably cut too much weight and they didn't achieve their goals because the focus was on weight control > becoming a better wrestler. It's a fine line IMO. Some of the most talented wrestlers don't need to cut but they are absolutely elite. However, most of those wrestlers are so disciplined in their nutrition and workouts 365 days a year that they are technically cutting weight 24/7.

This year will be an amazing test for David Carr who's moving up to 165. We can discuss this at the end of the year after we see how he handles bigger and stronger competition.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, CyGold.

• Agree
Reactions: CyGold and matclone

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa

Like @CyGold said David is techinally cutting less weight this year and bulking up some for 165. Without knowing I would guess he weighs around 170-172 during the off season and is pretty lean already. The rest of it is just getting water weight out before weigh ins and maybe dialing it down on his meals a couple days before competition. With anything, you want to have an advantage over your opponent. Being "bigger" than your opponent and ideally stronger is an advantage. Weight classes are meant to off-set any advantages, this is why guys cut down to lower weight classes to keep an edge over an opponent.

Reactions: Stevetasker

Help Support Us

Become a patron