NBA: Cyclones in the pros 2021-23 (hoops)

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
What an outburst by Talen last night, starting and dropping 40 without Westbrook. Davis or Lebron in the lineup. That's a good statement to make going to into the off-season.

The Lakers have dropped 7 straight which is - sorry, Talen - kind of hilarious. 3 games before his 40-point performance, Vogel gave THT a DNP. Disastrous season for LA.

The Lakers have so given up on the season that their Twitter account barely has highlights - only one from last night fot THT (No Cyclone in my memory has every made so many reverse layups as Horton-TuckerP:

Apparently, Reggie Miller said this on the TNT broadcast: “Where has this Talen Horton-Tucker been all season?”

Reggie wouldn't have scored 40 with AD, Lebron and Westbrook all taking shots.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The 76ers rested Georges today to get him ready for the playoffs vs. Indiana:

1649547051679.png

The Sixers beat the Pacers 133-120. Haliburton had 19 on 7-10 shooting, with 9 assists and 6 turnovers. What a 2nd season he's had.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I thought a regular season summary of ISU guys in the NBA was in order. The Lakers had a disaster of a season and Talen Horton-Tucker probably won't look back on this season fondly. The Lakers finished 33-49 and - famously - missed the playoffs. THT didn't take a big step forward in his 3rd year - the causes for that can be debated.

Talen started the season with a broken hand and missed time. Playing with ball-dominant stars like LeBron, Westrbook and Davis isn't easy.. Injuries and other factors meant constant changes in lineups and roles for Lakers players. And THT didn't knock down the 3-pointer consistently, something which may have kept him on the floor more.

So how were his (traditional) stats: 60 games played, 19 started. 10 PPG (up from 9.0 last year). His FG% dropped from 45.8% to 41.6% and his 3-point percentage fell from 28.2% to 26.9%. Both his assists and turnovers were slightly down from prior year. He ended the season with 597 total points.

On April 7, with LeBron and others out, THT started and treated us to a 40-point game on 15-28 shooting. I believe that was the highest scoring total by a Cyclone in a long time, maybe ever (but I haven't dug into that).

THT's salary is guaranteed for next season, around $10M (right now, LeBron, Davis and Westrbrook are guaranteed a paltry $129M for next season...)

I'm attaching below one writer's (amateur-ish) summary on THT's play this season:

Talen Horton-Tucker
Last offseason, Horton-Tucker got a three-year contract worth roughly $30 million, and after a promising 2020-21 campaign, it was thought that he would take another step forward this year.
He didn’t. In fact, if anything, he regressed somewhat.
He has a great ability to seek the rim and convert tough, contested layups that can’t really be taught, but he still lacks a consistent 3-point shot.
Adding a consistent mid-range or step-back jumper as a counter when he can’t get to the rim would also help him go from a rotation player to someone who could eventually start or at least be a sixth man on a good team.
Horton-Tucker has the ability to hit the open man, but he also seems to have a little too much tunnel vision when he is looking to attack. It would help if he learns to spot open teammates in those situations, instead of only looking for his own shot off the dribble.

Link to article: https://lebronwire.usatoday.com/lists/things-for-each-lakers-player-to-work-on-this-offseason/

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
One of the biggest surprises in the NBA this year as a Cyclone fan was Lindell Wigginton landing on a roster (through a 2-way contract with the Bucks). The rap on him has been that he's too small to be a 2 guard in the NBA and is not really a facilitating point guard type. I think his ceiling is probably as an occasionally used bench player - maybe filling in for an injured rotation player - but writing him off as a never-will-make-the-NBA probably under-valued his phenomenal athleticism and the fact that there are only so many 6'7" wings that can handle the ball and knock down 3s.

The guy has been a professional basketball player for 3 years and he has gotten better on defense and can hit an NBA 3 with enough regularity to keep defenders honest. The roster irregularities caused by the pandemic opened the door for him so let's see if that can lead to a regular roster spot for him next year.

How did he do for the Bucks? When I watched him, he looked like an NBA player. Clearly, he can create some with his speed and athleticism. On the last day of teh regular season, he led all ex-Cyclones in the NBA with 18 points as the Bucks rested their regulars.

LW ended averaging 4.2 PPG in 18 games (total of 80 points). He shot 43% from the field and 35% from 3. He notched 23 assists vs. 12 turnovers. He tallied 30 points in a G League game in March.

And he seems to be the first-ever Nova Scotia-born player in the NBA.

Hats off to Wiggy for getting his feet on an NBA floor.

If you didn't get to watch him, here are his plays when he scored 12 points in a game in February:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Matt Thomas' season with the Bulls? Well, it was a weird one and my guess is that the competitor in Matt is disappointed at missed opportunities. The Bulls chose to keep him at a couple different points of the season, presumably because of his tantalizing shooting ability. He was low-cost (a mere $1.7M :) ) insurance on a team with terrific depth at guard and one which paid off for the Bulls, who needed him in some 15 games or so.

Bulls' games for the Ice Man fit into 4 categories: 1. DNP (quite a few) 2. rotation minutes because of injuries to C. White, A. Caruso or L. Ball 3. mop-up minutes and 4. not dressed due to injuries or health protocols.

Matt has improved his defense and writers note that he is strong, fit and indefatigable. But he's still a 6'3-ish (improved) defender without great NBA quickness trying to stop the greatest wings on Earth so the best he can hope to be is a neutral defender. With his defense not being an asset, he has to shoot the ball at a great rate and it didn't happen this year. He ended up shooting 38.5% from 3PT (35-91) and most NBA observers would hope for better, given his other limitations. As a comparison, he hit 47.5% of his 3s his first season in Toronto.

Overall, he averaged 4 ppg in 40 games for 161 total points (502 total points scored now in his NBA career). He hit 41% of his shots overall and 80% from the line (16-20). He scored in double figures 4 times, with a high of 13 points in a loss against Memphis (highlights below):

The Bulls are facing off against The Bucks in the playoffs and Donovan has showed that with White and Caruso being available, he's not going to use Matt in the rotation so chances are that he's effectively done for the year.

What's his future in the NBA? He's improved his ballhandling, strength, defense and shooting on the move. But NBA experts still probably see him as a defensive liability that can't create for others or attack the rim as the shot clock runs down. He has to be a GREAT shooter to offset all this. Maybe he has a chance to hang on someone's bench in the next couple seasons because of the important of the 3 now but I'm pessimistic that he can crack someone's rotation. I'm happy that the guys has managed to play 3 seasons in the NBA; here's to a few more for Matty Ice.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Since I didn’t do weekly power rankings, and waiting for I-StateTheTruth’s other season summaries. Thought I’d just look up some raw numbers to rank our guys. * is career high for non rookie

Tyrese became statistically elite.

PPG
TH: 15.3*
MM: 12.6*
THT: 10*
GN: 9.2*
LW: 4.2
MT: 4.0
AN: 2.4

MM: 945*
GN: 700*
THT: 597*
MT: 161
LW: 80
AN: 34
All Cyclones: 3698

APG:
TH: 8.2* (7th in NBA)
MM: 4.4*
THT: 2.7
GN: 1.3*
LW: 1.2
MT: 0.5
AN: 0.5

Assists:
TH: 628* (4th in NBA)
MM: 333*
THT: 159
GN: 101*
LW: 23
MT: 20
AN: 7
All Cyclones: 1271

RPG:
TH: 4.0*
THT: 3.2*
MM: 3*
GN: 2.7*
AN: 1.9
MT: 1.3
LW: 1.3

Rebounds:
TH: 311*
MM: 226*
GN: 203*
THT: 193*
MT: 50
AN: 27
LW: 25
All Cyclones: 1035

Steals per game:
TH: 1.7* (5th in NBA)
THT: 1.0
MM: 0.7
AN: 0.6*
GN: 0.4*
LW: 0.3
MT: 0.2*

Steals:
TH: 134* (2nd in NBA!!!!!!!!)
THT: 59
MM: 56
GN: 30*
MT: 8
AN: 8
LW: 5
All Cyclones: 300

Blocks…Tyrese and THT are only guys who really block any shots…
Tyrese: 0.6 a game and 49 for season, both career highs
THT: 0.5 a game, 29 for season, both career highs

Minutes per game:
TH: 35.0* (13th in NBA) (6th in total minutes in NBA!!!!!)
MM: 29.9*
THT: 25.2*
GN: 22.8*
MT: 11.5*
LW: 10.5
AN: 10.4

Starts:
TH: 77*
MM: 74*
THT: 19*
GN: 7
Cyclone Starts: 177 (has to be close to a Cyclone record, would like to check it)

FG%
MM: .484
TH: .473*
GN: .437
LW: .426
THT: .416
MT: .410
AN: .343

3pt%
TH: .414* (11th this season in NBA)(Career active 8th)(career 21st all time NBA history)
GN: .403
MM: .395
MT: .385
LW: .346
AN: .286
THT: .269

Pretty obvious that Tyrese, Monte and Georges all had their best seasons and that Tyrese is playing near all star level. Monte had a rough start but his second half of season was easily his best as a pro. THT had a really mixed bag of a year, I posted already I think he’d benefit so much from a trade or blowing up the Lakers roster. Sucks Nader got injured and Wigginton looked surprisingly solid in the chances he got. Hard to tell what next year will bring for Thomas.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I’d like to see THT get out of LA somehow. Too many bad influences on that team.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I wanted to comment on Georges' season, even with @HFCS elite post. I got to watch most of Georges' minutes since I got his games on my cable system and it was mostly a joy to behold. As noted above, he had a career-high 9.2 PPG and scored 700 points (he likes round numbers; last year he hit a career-high 500 points). He now has 1857 career regular season points. He also averaged a career-high 22.8 minutes. Twice, he went for 21 points in a game.

I wasn't sure how Georges' play would be affected by Harden's arrival but it turned out to be Furkan Korkmaz who lost PT. Georges was more fun to watch though pre-Harden because he looked to create more. Now he reminds me of his Utah days when he waits for the catch-and-shoot 3. And catch and shoot he does; he's fearless with his quick release shot and Doc Rivers clearly loves and trusts him. He closes out games from time to time and his defense - which seemed better to me in the 1st half of the year (maybe some advanced metrics would bear that out) - is good enough to keep him on the court. Better than his on-ball D, he is aware and rotates well on help D.

I think it's safe to call him a 40% 3-point shooter. Georges' percentage from behind the arc the last 4 seasons:

1650047718023.png

The 76ers are going to have their hands full with Nick Nurse's Raptors in the playoffs. Hopefully, Harden won't do his post-season disappearing act.

Peak Niang here:

Reactions: NWICY and VeloClone

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Some more Minivan content. Georges comes in around the 22:00 minute mark to preview the playoffs (Warning be prepared for Georges to spend a lot of time advocating for a certain Jayhawk to win the MVP):

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I wanted to comment on Georges' season, even with @HFCS elite post. I got to watch most of Georges' minutes since I got his games on my cable system and it was mostly a joy to behold. As noted above, he had a career-high 9.2 PPG and scored 700 points (he likes round numbers; last year he hit a career-high 500 points). He now has 1857 career regular season points. He also averaged a career-high 22.8 minutes. Twice, he went for 21 points in a game.

I wasn't sure how Georges' play would be affected by Harden's arrival but it turned out to be Furkan Korkmaz who lost PT. Georges was more fun to watch though pre-Harden because he looked to create more. Now he reminds me of his Utah days when he waits for the catch-and-shoot 3. And catch and shoot he does; he's fearless with his quick release shot and Doc Rivers clearly loves and trusts him. He closes out games from time to time and his defense - which seemed better to me in the 1st half of the year (maybe some advanced metrics would bear that out) - is good enough to keep him on the court. Better than his on-ball D, he is aware and rotates well on help D.

I think it's safe to call him a 40% 3-point shooter. Georges' percentage from behind the arc the last 4 seasons:

View attachment 97842

The 76ers are going to have their hands full with Nick Nurse's Raptors in the playoffs. Hopefully, Harden won't do his post-season disappearing act.

Peak Niang here:

Yeah I think Georges excelled because he did exactly what Philly brought him to do. Maybe he’s not a top 100 player in league but he gets an easy A grade for doing what they signed him to do.

40% from 3 is no small thing. Tyrese current career .412 makes him one of the most accurate 3 point shooters in nba history. There are not a ton of guys over 40%.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Yeah I think Georges excelled because he did exactly what Philly brought him to do. Maybe he’s not a top 100 player in league but he gets an easy A grade for doing what they signed him to do.

40% from 3 is no small thing. Tyrese current career .412 makes him one of the most accurate 3 point shooters in nba history. There are not a ton of guys over 40%.
All very good points. They got GREAT value out of signing Georges. Bring in a bench shooter for under $4M and he sets their record for 3s off the bench.

• Informative

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I’d like to see THT get out of LA somehow. Too many bad influences on that team.

I think he would excel if a team made him a scoring point guard and backed him up with a traditional reliable pg that he could play next to some minutes. He has elite vision and willingly shares the ball. I think his 3pt shot would come around, maybe not elite but good enough to not be an issue.

Westbrook and LeBron leave no oxygen for him to do what he does best and you can see it in preseason success and that 40 pt explosion.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Some Minivan content -- Georges gives a tour of his place in Philadelphia Not too shabby. Under 5 minutes and several ISU references starting at the 2:00 mark.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The Sixers open their playoff series vs. the Raptors with a 20-point win. Tightened playoff rotations - Georges only got 5 minutes of PT in the first half. He probably averaged double that. He was an efficient 3-4 / 2-3 shooting with 8 points in 16 minutes (since Harden showed up. it seems like he barely gets any other stats).

2nd half 3 for the Minivan:

Reactions: VeloClone and NWICY

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Georges is high scorer for 76ers in first quarter with 2 shots taken...probably not their best quarter.

• Informative

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
3/3 from deep now for Georges.

Not many many minutes, not many shots, but draining practically every shot for three games straight now.
Yeah, it's been good to see. He shot all 3 of them in a way that I thought they were going in. He got absolutely HUNTED on D by those rangy, quick 4s in the 1st 2 games - Anunoby, Boucher and Siakam.

• Informative

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Yeah, it's been good to see. He shot all 3 of them in a way that I thought they were going in. He got absolutely HUNTED on D by those rangy, quick 4s in the 1st 2 games - Anunoby, Boucher and Siakam.

Crazy the 76ers got back to one point game after trailing so much. Will really break Raptors if they can’t win now.

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth