Cytown Update

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
off the top of my head multiple ISu Center Projects voted down, new mall, campustown redevelopment (now just a hodgepodge mess), several indoor rec proposals. I’m sure I could come up with more if I took the time.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
It's been a pretty standard take over the years -- The University is bad, unless the City sees an advantage.

Ames residents have voted down measures that would have:
(1) helped renovate Hilton, thereby bringing in outside business
(2) helped renovate Scheman, thereby bringing in outside business

And the first one wouldn't even have cost them a penny.
Iowa City is the only university town in the state the embraces having the university there.

Ames and Cedar Falls want all of the benefits of having a university in town but want nothing to do with actually having a university and those damn students in town.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Looks like CW is going to have to get Pollard back on a podcast to lie about threatening to close down buildings to get the locals back in line.
topic to be discussed on his bi monthly KXNO appearance

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
This sentence tells you all you need to know about the writer:

Because the MOU does not adequately protect the city’s interest in preserving Iowa State Center as a viable statewide attraction, I recommend City Council either continue negotiations with ISU or allow the primary issue of contention to be referred to the relevant legal authorities.

At what point in the last 30 years has the City shown any interest in preserving ISC? Now it's suddenly an issue?

Also, the "former professor hates athletics" stereotype is strong with this one.
Time to stop listening to these people and just steamroll over them

Reactions: Erik4Cy and aauummm

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
Well that's not the answer. Doesn't matter how wrong the "other side" is, but you don't "just steamroll over them".

FWIW I'm 100% on the side of growth/cytown/JP
It is when one side has continually got exactly what they want at the detriment of the greater community for decades. There is no compromise with them.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
I lived in a small town in SE Georgia for a couple years. They had a successful lawnmower factory they forced to relocate. Several other job creating projects and industrial expansions they blocked. They waited for the local unemployment rate to skyrocket, then they ramrodded a new nuclear medical waste incineration factory as a job creation project. The entire county had 16,000 people. Blacks lived on one side of town with tin roofs and dirt roads, whites lived on the other side of town with paved roads and brick houses. I couldn't wait to transfer out of there. The factory I worked at was 90% black production workers, 100% white office workers. Black cops arrested whites only, white cops arrested blacks only. They also had moonshiners and the Klan. Lots of underworld drug trafficers also. It was on the Miami-NYC pipeline. One guy wanted to buy my wife.

Last edited:

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
I lived in a small town in SE Georgia for a couple years. They had a successful lawnmower factory they forced to relocate. Several other job creating projects and industrial expansions they blocked. They waited for the local unemployment rate to skyrocket, then they ramrodded a new nuclear medical waste incineration factory as a job creation project. The entire county had 16,000 people. Blacks lived on one side of town with tin roofs and dirt roads, whites lived on the other side of town with paved roads and brick houses. I couldn't wait to transfer out of there. The factory I worked at was 90% black production workers, 100% white office workers. Black cops arrested whites only, white cops arrested blacks only. They also had moonshiners and the Klan. Lots of underworld drug trafficers also. It was on the Miami-NYC pipeline. One guy wanted to buy my wife.
And Elvis was talking to Jimmy Hoffa while a freight train blew its whistle

Reactions: nrg4isu

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Suddenly Ottumwa and the Dirty Dodge dont sound so bad...

• Disagree
Reactions: 3TrueFans

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron