Cytown Update

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Just odd being right next to Torrent. Not sure how 2 breweries would do that close to each other.
Competition is good for the consumer, bring it on.

Alternatively, a decent distillery in Ames would be wonderful.

As an aside, I haven't been to Torrent in years. Have they improved from their first 18 months or so?

interrobang

Oct 9, 2017
Ankeny
Competition is good for the consumer, bring it on.

Alternatively, a decent distillery in Ames would be wonderful.

As an aside, I haven't been to Torrent in years. Have they improved from their first 18 months or so?
Has been a couple of years since I was there last. Wasn't good enough I have wanted to go back. Alluvial is my preference in the Ames area.

MushroomPinball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2017
Just odd being right next to Torrent. Not sure how 2 breweries would do that close to each other.
Two breweries close to each other could bring more beer drinkers in general to downtown and then they could both end up benefitting. People could easily hop to each instead of not going out as often since there's only one option. IMO there no such thing as too many local breweries.

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
I wonder what sort of deferred maintenance is needed on that building.
I’m merely speculating, but I would not be surprised if the deferred maintenance is similar to the old Whiskey River building…

ARCYCLONE

Nov 16, 2020
Arkansas
Two breweries close to each other could bring more beer drinkers in general to downtown and then they could both end up benefitting. People could easily hop to each instead of not going out as often since there's only one option. IMO there no such thing as too many local breweries.
I've seen this firsthand. In Fayetteville (NW) AR there used to be one brewery for years and it struggled. Now they have several and they've organized together and advertise as a brew tour. Seems to be working well for them. Several more have been added in nearby towns of Rogers and Bentonville. This entire area is heavily populated so that helps, but still doesn't discount that one struggled but now that they have several they seem to be thriving.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
From today's Inside Iowa State:

[Parking lot] work has been ongoing since February 2023 and is scheduled to be completed by the first day of fall classes (Aug. 26). The exception is lot B5, which is adjacent to the proposed site of a McFarland Clinic healthcare facility. McFarland could begin that construction later this summer, pending approval of its agreement with the university at the state Board of Regents' June meeting.