David Carr- Associate Director of the Cardinal and Gold Collective

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA

Ryan Rohlk

Mar 29, 2024
I am so excited to add David Carr to the Cardinal and Gold Collective staff. David’s wrestling pedigree and talent are undeniable, but I am just as proud to add a person of such high character to our team. We are incredibly fortunate that he will continue to be a part of the ISU wrestling family going forward.

Quite simply, we were able to land our number one "portal" target and keep David Carr in Ames and at Iowa State.

Thank you all for your help and support with the Cardinal and Gold Collective.

Ryan

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Don’t mind this at all, but it really further blurs the lines to me between the NIL w/Cardinal and gold and the CRTC. Is the money donated to C&G going to NIL student athletes, or post grads? Clearly it’s both, as I imagine (and hope) DC is getting a solid payday from our C&G donations.

Don’t get me wrong, as a whole program, you do whatever you have to to keep DC around. However, with 2 organizations people basically have a choice to support post grads or current student athletes. If they donated to C&G, they made a choice to support student athletes vs post grads.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Don’t mind this at all, but it really further blurs the lines to me between the NIL w/Cardinal and gold and the CRTC. Is the money donated to C&G going to NIL student athletes, or post grads? Clearly it’s both, as I imagine (and hope) DC is getting a solid payday from our C&G donations.

Don’t get me wrong, as a whole program, you do whatever you have to to keep DC around. However, with 2 organizations people basically have a choice to support post grads or current student athletes. If they donated to C&G, they made a choice to support student athletes vs post grads.
You're probably over thinking it. I would not believe that DC getting a position with the collective would be an alternative to paying him via CRTC. It's a job that he'll be paid for doing, just like if they were to hire any other person in the same position. Clearly the thought is that any salary he draws from the collective would be exceeded by the additional fundraising he brings in for NIL.

I'm sure he'll also draw some CRTC cash training/competing on the senior level.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I am so excited to add David Carr to the Cardinal and Gold Collective staff. David’s wrestling pedigree and talent are undeniable, but I am just as proud to add a person of such high character to our team. We are incredibly fortunate that he will continue to be a part of the ISU wrestling family going forward.

Quite simply, we were able to land our number one "portal" target and keep David Carr in Ames and at Iowa State.

Ryan
Welcome to the Cyclone Fanatic board. Thanks for getting the Cardinal & Gold Collective up & running

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
You're probably over thinking it. I would not believe that DC getting a position with the collective would be an alternative to paying him via CRTC. It's a job that he'll be paid for doing, just like if they were to hire any other person in the same position. Clearly the thought is that any salary he draws from the collective would be exceeded by the additional fundraising he brings in for NIL.

I'm sure he'll also draw some CRTC cash training/competing on the senior level.
Definitely a good point regarding the ROI that they’ll get by hiring David.

It just seems weird that the NIL collective for student athletes is pretty clearly throwing a significant investment into a post grad as probably the biggest public thing it’s ever done.

4everClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Ames

Ryan
Great hire Ryan!

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa

David is going to be employed and paid in a way where he can help recruit high school and transfer portal guys and get paid to wrestle on the Senior level. That is probably some combination of using both the CRTC and the Collective to achieve that goal.