Dogs at tailgate (and games)

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Dogs at tailgates should be destroyed on-site, especially like the one attached...

This should be done to prevent wild packs of dogs from over running our streets in Ames and killing everyone in their wake.

Just look at the picture! He's so angry!

that was scary. i thought halloween was over, you should be posting things like that.:shocked:

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Isn't it illegal to leave a dog in a parked car?

Depends on the situation. It's not that hard to get to animal cruelty issues if it's hot or cold.

I leave my dog in the car at times - going to the store or something. But you have to be smart about it.

I have seen plenty of idiots, however. People who leave their dogs in the car when it's 90 out and just a crack in the window. Gets to be about 110 in just minutes. I swear someday I'm either going to wait for the person to come back to their car, or just cut to the chase and smash in the window so the poor thing can breathe.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
On a 78 degree day a car parked in the shade can get to 110 in about 20 minutes... In the sun, up to 140... Cracking the windows doesn't help a whole lot either...

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
Heat is a problem, cold isn't if the dog is an outside dog anyway.

Where do you think every farm dog in Iowa stays in the winter? The car in winter is actually warmer than being outside at home.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
I don't know if it's illegal, but depending on the circumstances it may be inhumane.

Exactly our dog doesnt go to the early games when its over 80 but its all judgement. My dog is basically a kid to my wife so my pooch is only left in excellent conditions. I will say she is more concerned that someone would want to steal her dog...b/c its the best dog in the world (her words):cute:

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I don't know if it's illegal, but depending on the circumstances it may be inhumane.

To some people, if you don't treat your pet like a king, it's inhumane. For some people, a slap on my dogs mussel and shock collars for barking are inhumane. I highly doubt that he is leaving his dog in 120 heat with no water and no air flow and this time of year the dog would actually be more comfortable in the car then out in the cold.

Was mentioned in another thread and got me wondering (again) why people bring their dogs to tailgates? No, I don't have a dog, but I didn't bring my daughter either (when she was very young and not going to the game.) Just something/one else to take care of when I'd rather be doing something else. That's why we hired babysitters.

Oh no, people bringing dogs to tailgate! Next thing you know they will be bringing KIDS.:shocked:

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
To some people, if you don't treat your pet like a king, it's inhumane. For some people, a slap on my dogs mussel and shock collars for barking are inhumane. I highly doubt that he is leaving his dog in 120 heat with no water and no air flow and this time of year the dog would actually be more comfortable in the car then out in the cold.
I have no idea what his situation is or how he treats his dogs, hence why I said it depends on the circumstances.

Cymaster

Jun 14, 2006
Dogs at tailgates should be destroyed on-site, especially like the one attached...

This should be done to prevent wild packs of dogs from over running our streets in Ames and killing everyone in their wake.

Just look at the picture! He's so angry!

That dog (and truck) looks awfully familiar....:wink:

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I have no idea what his situation is or how he treats his dogs, hence why I said it depends on the circumstances.

Who is that quote from?

Personally, I don't have a problem with e-collars. I have one for my dog.

I do have a problem with a hefty number of people who use them and use them improperly. Any idiot can get one and just jolt the dog whenever it does something they don't like. No correction, no learning process. It's just a convienience so they don't have to directly beat the dog. Too many people in fact. Just last week I saw a guy pheasant hunting who's dog took off after a deer. The guy jolted the poor thing, and apparently at a pretty high dose, even as the dog was running back.

I wonder how many people who have e-collars on their dog have tried it out on themselves? I doubt too many. It should be a requirement.

Fact is, if you can't handle your dog without continually running volts through it, the problem is you - not the dog.

Last edited:

Irresponsible

Jul 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
Geez, it's their choice. I loved having our kids at our tailgate when we would bring them. Never brought a dog, but as long as it doesn't bite other people and you clean up it's poo, who the hell am I to tell you how to enjoy your game day?

I'll bet if I'm a fan of good cigars, I'd be told how to enjoy my game day.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
My dog. I would bring him to games with my, but he would be worse then the parking people- he's a true herder.

Maybe JP would hire him on to get people in the games earlier - or keep them in the stadium. :wink:

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Was mentioned in another thread and got me wondering (again) why people bring their dogs to tailgates? No, I don't have a dog, but I didn't bring my daughter either (when she was very young and not going to the game.) Just something/one else to take care of when I'd rather be doing something else. That's why we hired babysitters.

I see no problem with it as long as they are taking care of during the game.

I have more of an issue with some of the ugly-arse sauced girlfriends peeing behind a car

creightonclone

Mar 3, 2008
I would lean towards not bringing animals to tailgate. Although the owner may love animals, there will probably be many other bystanders who don't. But, of course, everyone's animal is an angel, a big sweetie, and never ever bites... so why not? I can't see anything going wrong when there's alcohol, loud music, tens of thousands of people, and small children involved.