Doug Sirmens is crooked

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Second time through the conference. TJ doesn’t adjust anything, we get figured out and that why we struggle in the back half.
We have 3-4 other coaches on staff...I'd be shocked they don't know what's going on to be able to adjust. We are who we are. We make shots, we're tough as hell to beat. We miss shots, we feel the pressure to be something we're not and we lose.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
We played like crap, but the guys in stripes are not immune from criticism.
When you play sloppy, it means the refs are going to blow their whistle. We play too much defense with our hands, take tough shots on offense and can't hit a free throw.

Grill has too be better than that at the end of the game. Can't miss 2 of 3 free throws, commit a foul out of frustration and then commit a T because the other guy got in your head.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
We have 3-4 other coaches on staff...I'd be shocked they don't know what's going on to be able to adjust. We are who we are. We make shots, we're tough as hell to beat. We miss shots, we feel the pressure to be something we're not and we lose.
It doesn’t appear we make adjustments, once teams figure out to drive the baseline and dump it quick to a cutter they have success. We gave up a lot of open threes. If we have tired legs, the players need to get not “practice hard” so much to get their legs back. This seems very similar to the back half of last year. Hopefully that means another sweet 16.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
We are not an intelligent team

I've been thinking this for a while actually.... but was in denial and didn't want to believe it. We do some of the dumbest things ever.... things I don't see other teams do... not even bad teams.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The refs had nothing to do with our loss

We played like **** and deserved to lose.

That being said, its becoming a trend in multiple big 12 games, not just ours, where refs call it one way for 20-30 minutes and then all of a sudden decide they need to assert control. That goes particularly bad for us, but it happens all over.

It ruins a bunch of games.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
No game is officiated perfectly. The refs were fine and not the reason we lost and not even close.

We are in a rut and need to figure some things out.

I can get there...in a rut for sure.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Our guys played with no mental or basketball intelligence today, let the other guys get in their heads, and didn't make a single critical shot or play, of which they had many opportunitities.

ISU lost this game, period.
100%. Grill particularly lost his composure for the second time in as many games. As a 4th year guy he needs to be better. And quite frankly having Robert Jones in the game when we are still in the 1 +1 in 2H is the equivalent of a turnover. That was two possessions that we got zero points out of at a time when we could have gone from tied to up 4.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I was going to troll with a “did the refs steal this one too?” post but here we are. It’s no fun if you’re just going to do it to yourself.

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
We played like **** and deserved to lose.

That being said, its becoming a trend in multiple big 12 games, not just ours, where refs call it one way for 20-30 minutes and then all of a sudden decide they need to assert control. That goes particularly bad for us, but it happens all over.

It ruins a bunch of games.
I didn’t see that in this game…it was 23-22 fouls. Seemed even the whole game to me. We were in the bonus first in the 2nd half.

• Agree
Reactions: MisterO

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
When you play sloppy, it means the refs are going to blow their whistle. We play too much defense with our hands, take tough shots on offense and can't hit a free throw.

Grill has too be better than that at the end of the game. Can't miss 2 of 3 free throws, commit a foul out of frustration and then commit a T because the other guy got in your head.

The 'playing defense with our hands' is spot on. There's a reason we get called for a ton of fouls, and therefore blame the refs every game.... we constantly are reaching with our hands. It's terrible. And you're going to get called for a bunch of fouls playing that way.... even when you do get all ball once in a while. It's not a good way to play defense.

WV has always played this way.... and now we do too. No wonder that game had almost 50 fouls and was completely unwatchable. You're just forcing the ref to blow the whistle all night with all the reaching and slapping at the ball. It's our own fault.

• Creative
Reactions: HoustonClone

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I didn’t see that in this game…it was 23-22 fouls. Seemed even the whole game to me. We were in the bonus first in the 2nd half.

You didn't see the beginning of the second half where they suddenly decided to call everything super soft for the first 5 minutes?

Reactions: aauummm

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
You didn't see the beginning of the second half where they suddenly decided to call everything super soft for the first 5 minutes?
My point is that it was even. We have been hosed many games this year, this game was t one of them. The refs had 0 to do with the outcome of this game, that is my only point.

• Agree
Reactions: MisterO

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Something definitely going on with Grill. TJ was talking to him as he came off the court mid way through the game and he said something Caleb wasn't expecting. Caleb didn't look like he enjoyed it. Then he got worse later in the game throwing two intentional fouls essentially.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron