Doug Sirmens is crooked

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
My point is that it was even. We have been hosed many games this year, this game was t one of them. The refs had 0 to do with the outcome of this game, that is my only point.

Some of you really need to be able to take criticism of refs without thinking people are saying it means the refs cost us the game. It is possible for 2 things to be true at the same time, and i literally said in my original post "we played like **** and deserved to lose"

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Something definitely going on with Grill. TJ was talking to him as he came off the court mid way through the game and he said something Caleb wasn't expecting. Caleb didn't look like he enjoyed it. Then he got worse later in the game throwing two intentional fouls essentially.

Noticed that as well.

Him popping his chops with the OSU player while trying to shoot free throws...then bowling over the guy after his miss...to then getting a T was him basically saying "Who cares, I'm done tonight".

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Signed up for draft kings today to get the free 200. Would of been perfect today if we just win (m/l). Still doubled my money with 175 left in free bets.

I haven't bet serious since I had my first kid 24 years ago. But my wife still remembers me saying never bet on a team you have a rooting interest in. So that snide comment was the icing on the cake.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
.…… And quite frankly having Robert Jones in the game when we are still in the 1 +1 in 2H is the equivalent of a turnover. That was two possessions that we got zero points out of at a time when we could have gone from tied to up 4.
We had the same opportunity with Cisse and didn’t take it. Even his airball wasn’t enough for coaches to think about Floydball.

• Agree
Reactions: CYDJ

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
It doesn’t appear we make adjustments, once teams figure out to drive the baseline and dump it quick to a cutter they have success. We gave up a lot of open threes. If we have tired legs, the players need to get not “practice hard” so much to get their legs back. This seems very similar to the back half of last year. Hopefully that means another sweet 16.
since we got bounced in the first round of the Big 12 tournament, our guys came into the NCAAs fresh

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm and BCClone

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Something definitely going on with Grill. TJ was talking to him as he came off the court mid way through the game and he said something Caleb wasn't expecting. Caleb didn't look like he enjoyed it. Then he got worse later in the game throwing two intentional fouls essentially.
as another poster alluded, maybe Grill is getting aggressive with the officials because he feels TJ won't do it or advocate for them? With that said, the only bad call I saw against Grill was the one where he slapped the ball out of the WVU player's hand, that was not a foul. All of his others were legitimate fouls.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
as another poster alluded, maybe Grill is getting aggressive with the officials because he feels TJ won't do it or advocate for them? With that said, the only bad call I saw against Grill was the one where he slapped the ball out of the WVU player's hand, that was not a foul. All of his others were legitimate fouls.
He was playing out of control. IDK if it was just frustration or if there's actually beef behind the scenes but he was a mess.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

There's no excuse to keep talking **** to an opponent while you're missing free throws and then basically get yourself tossed from a game that you're not totally out of.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
He is so streaky. Need some consistency.
He (grill) is consistent. Road games are hot and home games are not. I can't think of anything more consistent than that except long lines at the clone come station

• Disagree
Reactions: NENick

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
He (grill) is consistent. Road games are hot and home games are not. I can't think of anything more consistent than that except long lines at the clone come station

This was certainly the case last year, not so much this year. His home/road split averages are pretty close. He shoots slightly better (40% compared to 37%) from 3 on the road but he is 2 ppg higher at home (11 compared to 9 on the road).

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012

If that is truly the case (I doubt it is), sit his ass in the bench the rest of the year. There is absolutely no room for that when you are trying to build a culture.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
The refs from the WVU game deserve every shred of criticism they got. There were some iffy calls tonight but you will get that in just about every single game in the history of basketball. Fact of the matter is if you miss more free throws than you make, you don't ever deserve to win a basketball game. Pathetic display of something that is 90% mental
They stopped the freaking game again for an injured opponent when we had the ball. I’m not sure what game you guys were watching that thought that was well officiated. Far from the worst we’ve seen but not well officiated by any means.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
:rolleyes: It’s almost like Grill is playing through an injury, like I don’t know, a bad back or something. Really strange.

Reactions: Cyman42

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I mean other home teams get a nice foul differential, we’re happy to only get called for one more than the opponent in Hilton.

Reactions: aauummm

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Let me start by saying we did not lose this game because of the refs. We got out played, out coached and out hustled. Terrible. That being said, Doug sirmens was really strange tonight. I have seen him do so many games at Hilton and he has never acted like this. He was chippy and short with people all night. At one point he came to the scorers table and screamed at the guys keeping track of timeouts I think. It was very odd. I got the vibe the other 2 refs were not liking his demeanor either.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron