Edey and NIL

FLYINGCYCLONE

Aug 27, 2022
LuVerne Iowa
According to ESPN, Edey is missing some NIL opportunities. He is Canadian, so he cannot get NIL money on anything that’s takes place in the USA. Anything outside the USA, is fair game. This is NOT an NCAA rule, this is a Law of the USA. Guessing this includes all athletes that are not USA citizens.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Sooner or later, they have to figure out a way to bring top overseas student athletes here on work visas rather than student visas.

• Agree
Reactions: chadly82

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Sooner or later, they have to figure out a way to bring top overseas student athletes here on work visas rather than student visas.
Yeah this is a student visa thing and I'm guessing that's not going to change. He can also film all the commercials or whatever he wants back in Canada, even for US companies, so it may limit his opportunities but it doesn't eliminate them all.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
That's terrible for the immediate future for sure, but he's going to get his payday in the NBA very soon. Then he can buy all the gold toilets he wants.

I think he’ll be a great situational player in nba but not sure you can build a team around him. Definitely will make some $.

Watch the Haliburton show to see why a guy like Edey or Garza is now a niche player even if they can hit the 3.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
That's terrible for the immediate future for sure, but he's going to get his payday in the NBA very soon. Then he can buy all the gold toilets he wants.
His NBA prospects are not quite as rosy as you might think. Nobody's really sure how his game will translate. He's got a late first round grade by most accounts right now. He very well could be missing out at his chance to cash in on his value when it's the highest.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
His NBA prospects are not quite as rosy as you might think. Nobody's really sure how his game will translate. He's got a late first round grade by most accounts right now. He very well could be missing out at his chance to cash in on his value when it's the highest.
From what I've seen Rik Smits is probably his ceiling.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

I imagine that happens when we fully classify players as employees, which probably isn't too far off.

However, and not an immigration attorney, I think you'd run into similar issues with NIL as i think work visas only apply to the company that has the work visa. So while players would be getting paid, the top-end players that can make a lot from things like endorsement deals would still have a hard time getting that money.

There was a senate bill that would have allowed student athletes to profit off their NIL introduced last fall, but it didn't go anywhere.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
He moves surprisingly well for his size, and he's thicker so less injury prone than most 7 footers. But 90% of his advantage right now his he's simply stronger and can stand right below the basket and get fed the ball, turn around, and pop it in. He's going to be going up against a lot of strong dudes in the NBA, his height won't be as big of a deal because of the length of his NBA peers, and he gets away with fouling on pretty much every single offensive and defensive play. He won't get that benefit in the NBA.

Reactions: chadly82

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Could he get Canadian nil deals for "work" he does while in canada?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

I imagine if it were that easy Edey would have signed deals and driven the 5 hours to canada to do that "work"

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
From what I've seen Rik Smits is probably his ceiling.
If a big can't hit a mid-range jumper with regularity his chances of NBA success aren't great.

I haven't seen Edey do anything but hit layups, free throws and sometimes short j's. He doesn't have any 3 game either.

Camping out on the low block and bullying his way to the hoop worked in college, but really won't in the NBA. He'll make money there, but IMO he'll never be a great or even really good big man as a pro.

I guess we'll see. I mean, he did prove everyone wrong at the collegiate level.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
He moves surprisingly well for his size, and he's thicker so less injury prone than most 7 footers. But 90% of his advantage right now his he's simply stronger and can stand right below the basket and get fed the ball, turn around, and pop it in. He's going to be going up against a lot of strong dudes in the NBA, his height won't be as big of a deal because of the length of his NBA peers, and he gets away with fouling on pretty much every single offensive and defensive play. He won't get that benefit in the NBA.
Early today, I happened to listen to Mahoney-Woody recent podcast, as they debated Edey's worth and some of the same points.

Reactions: Jer

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I think he’ll be a great situational player in nba but not sure you can build a team around him. Definitely will make some $.

Watch the Haliburton show to see why a guy like Edey or Garza is now a niche player even if they can hit the 3.
Garza has now played 3 years, with games and minutes per declining each year. He will be lucky to stick one more year at most.

1712428870688.png

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL

I imagine if it were that easy Edey would have signed deals and driven the 5 hours to canada to do that "work"
Yes he can and that’s why Purdue played in Toronto this year.

Maybe there should be exemption in the Visa laws for student athletes or maybe schools start creating sports majors because the rule is you can only make money/do internships in your field of study.