Eli King??

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I can't remember anyone saying he'd contribute this year. He's fine, he's stuck behind 3 seniors. 2 of which are 5th year guys.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Jesus this site is the worst anymore...ask a simple question and get a dozen **** head responses.

For one, I did a search and didn't see any thread. For two, I got the idea he would be a potential starter and contributer from Chris Williams on a podcast...I didn't make it up. CW said he had the best potential to contribute and possibly start, I'm sure if was before the injury to the PG.

Anyway, I'm glad he's not hurt or in some doghouse, I was just curious why he wasn't playing and couldn't find any info on it.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
If he wants true fresh minutes he'll need to accelerate his male pattern baldness. Never underestimate the power of being bald at 18. He'll be the Timmy Dwight of collegiate basketball.

Reactions: jcyclonee

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
This again?
JLH is the king!

jennifer-love-hewitt-frenchmaid.gif

That is a crown on her head, right?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Watch tonight's game. He'll probably make an appearance at some point assuming we take care of business.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Jesus this site is the worst anymore...ask a simple question and get a dozen **** head responses.

For one, I did a search and didn't see any thread. For two, I got the idea he would be a potential starter and contributer from Chris Williams on a podcast...I didn't make it up. CW said he had the best potential to contribute and possibly start, I'm sure if was before the injury to the PG.

Anyway, I'm glad he's not hurt or in some doghouse, I was just curious why he wasn't playing and couldn't find any info on it.
The search function on the site is pretty pathetic.

Reactions: isutrevman
Nov 1, 2022
It drives me nuts when people bring this up. Who is Eli taking minutes from? Only so many minutes to go around, and he's not going to come in and be better than any of the upperclassmen guards outside of maybe Grill.

daniel22

Mar 4, 2011
Did I miss something? I thought Eli was thought to be a potential starter this year, at least a contributer and yet is he even on the team? I've not seen him play a minute, maybe I just missed it but I thought he was the guy in this fresh class with the best potential for immediate contribution?
Be patient. His time will come. TJ wants to play a tight bench and wants guys in their who can defend at a high level. Just remember when Jaden Walker didn’t sniff the court for a bulk of the season, but when we needed him due to injury or foul trouble he produced. I see Eli doing the same at some point this season

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I think it's clear from the little halftime vignette about Thanksgiving dinner that he's not in the doghouse. He just isn't there yet. He's an 18 year old true frosh who played the equivalent of Iowa 2A basketball. This is a huge step up in competition for him and a bigger adjustment than most of the other guys are making.

ClonesFTW

Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Watching his shot in warm-ups last night - it ain't pretty. I don't see anyone he's taking playing time from this year so hopefully that will be one of the things the staff is working on with him for next year.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

I agree that the impression I had was that he was the most likely freshman to contribute. At least until Williams got hurt. Thank goodness Lipsey looks like a legit point guard already. I know that a lot of our half court sets are being run with Holmes at the point but I'd be concerned about some combination of him, Kalscheur, and Grill having to handle all of that responsibility against the defense of Baylor's and Tech's guards.

Neorules

Dec 1, 2022
Did I miss something? I thought Eli was thought to be a potential starter this year, at least a contributer and yet is he even on the team? I've not seen him play a minute, maybe I just missed it but I thought he was the guy in this fresh class with the best potential for immediate contribution?
Thought I would chime in here. Having seen Eli play against Minnehaha academy where he seemed to always defend against J Suggs when Chet Holmgren was also playing on their team it was impressive to see how he shut down or limited Suggs especially the game I attended in person a few years ago. Suggs got the majority of his points that game when Eli was out with 3 fouls and guys off the bench couldn’t stop The Suggs. I would say if they played one on one it could go either way!

Reactions: Cyclonepride

JDugan

Dec 1, 2022
Thought I would chime in here. Having seen Eli play against Minnehaha academy where he seemed to always defend against J Suggs when Chet Holmgren was also playing on their team it was impressive to see how he shut down or limited Suggs especially the game I attended in person a few years ago. Suggs got the majority of his points that game when Eli was out with 3 fouls and guys off the bench couldn’t stop The Suggs. I would say if they played one on one it could go either way!
I thought I would go to the video from youtube. He and Lipsley were AAU teammates playing for D1 one of the top AAU teams around. They played all high level D1 players. Looks like Eli more than held his own.
"D1 Minnesota matched up with Team Factory at Jammin In July in Ames Iowa. Eli King scored 19 points with 8 assists for D1 Minnesota, with Tamin Lipsey adding 11 and David Joplin scoring 10. Chucky Hepburn and Frankie Fidler both scored 15 for Team Factory." King #0 Lipsley #1

This one from last year Caledonia vs Totino Grace (Demarion Watson). Looks like Totino had 6 D1 players. King held his own and hit game winner over Watson. Great thing Watson, King & Lipsley all teammates now. Hopefully they stay together. And yes, numerous videos of King matching up with Jaylen Suggs on a yearly basis. Looks like King played against Very High- level competition throughout his high school career, even though from a small school. I'm sure he'll have a successful career in college; if not here somewhere else. Also, a "freak" in football as offered by Notre Dame, Stanford, most big Ten & some SEC schools. I wouldn't count him out.