emily ryan must look to score more now

blood94

May 10, 2010
i know emily likes to get her teammates involved but right now she has to look for her shot more. with stephanie sidelined it is going to hard for ashley and lexi to carry this team without that third threat. i have not been impressed with fritz this year (she has missed way to many easy open looks) and i love morgan but she is just not offensively skilled. dew is just to inconsistant to think that she is going to score 14 points every game like she did at oklahoma

i still think this team can win the big 12 but emily must look to score

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
This is where losing Jordao hurts - we really need Izzy to be able to provide 10-15 minutes of post defense a game.

But I think the answer - at crunch time - is to go with the "5 out" lineup with Diew at the 5. I think she is capable of scoring 10+ points per game and he shot has looked better since she's healthy again (she was sick in December).

Looking up the stats, I was surprised how poorly Lexi (27%) and Fritz (26%) have shot the ball this year. They need to "flip the switch" and start having some games where they are really hot from 3.

Fun fact: of players who have attempted at least 10 FTs - Ashley is 4th in FT% at 90.6%, Lexi is at 93%, Em is 94% and Nyamer is 10-10 on the season

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I think we should be launching from 3 every game, and that includes Ryan. We're never going to beat the top-end teams with Joens driving into the teeth of the defense as our primary offense. Donarski has the green light, but I think we have enough evidence to suggest she's just an OK shooter, not a sniper. Ryan is a better shooter and her field goal attempts should reflect that. That's not a dig on Donarski. She's our best floor player and has to create her own shot in this offense.

Bottom line is we can win a ton of games with Joens playing slop ball in the paint, but if they want to give themselves the best chance to win in March, they should be spreading the floor and shooting threes.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think we should be launching from 3 every game, and that includes Ryan. We're never going to beat the top-end teams with Joens driving into the teeth of the defense as our primary offense. Donarski has the green light, but I think we have enough evidence to suggest she's just an OK shooter, not a sniper. Ryan is a better shooter and her field goal attempts should reflect that. That's not a dig on Donarski. She's our best floor player and has to create her own shot in this offense.

Bottom line is we can win a ton of games with Joens playing slop ball in the paint, but if they want to give themselves the best chance to win in March, they should be spreading the floor and shooting threes.
100% agree - it's time for bombs away - green light for everyone

On Lexi's shooting; she shot 41% on 4.6 attempts per game as a freshman and 37% on 6.7 attempts per game last year. Those are pretty much "sniper" numbers.

This year she's at 27% on 6.3 attempts.

She's proven she's a good shooter - she just needs to keep firing

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
On three point shooting, we are launching 29 per game now, most in the league. Issue is we are only hitting 31%. In our first three conference games it's even worse, 25%.

Last year we launched 26 per game but we were making those at a 39% clip. Basically the same gals attempting these shots but now at 8% lower success rate. Gotta think the percentage will at least return to some sort of mean and we start hitting a higher percentage.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
This is where losing Jordao hurts - we really need Izzy to be able to provide 10-15 minutes of post defense a game.

But I think the answer - at crunch time - is to go with the "5 out" lineup with Diew at the 5. I think she is capable of scoring 10+ points per game and he shot has looked better since she's healthy again (she was sick in December).

Looking up the stats, I was surprised how poorly Lexi (27%) and Fritz (26%) have shot the ball this year. They need to "flip the switch" and start having some games where they are really hot from 3.

Fun fact: of players who have attempted at least 10 FTs - Ashley is 4th in FT% at 90.6%, Lexi is at 93%, Em is 94% and Nyamer is 10-10 on the season
Agree

Go small.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Folks...take note of what Lexi has done so far in Big 12 play.
Texas Tech - 21 points
WVU - 15 points
Oklahoma - 20 points

It's looking like she has shifted gears...

2 for 15 from three the first two games (although she was getting to the hoop) but the 3-6 was pretty encouraging versus the Sooners.

Reactions: dkdean