Ever run into an ISUer who...

Sep 28, 2007
Norman, OK
There are OU students who don't care about the Sooners, too. It's not a big deal. I could tell you absolutely nothing about my high school right now. (I don't know if they have good or bad in anything since I left). I don't see why college would be any different.

I happen to follow the Sooners and Cyclones closely; other people tend to prefer professional sports. I played college baseball and I probably couldn't name 15 players in all of major league baseball right now. We all have our own interests. I don't blame JP or anyone else at ISU for it.

Oct 14, 2007
Ames
You may find this hard to believe but some people just have no interest in sports. I have plenty of friends who would have no clue who won the championship in ANY of the major sports last year. College or pro. There are actually other things to talk about. I am a huge sports fan, but you can't assume that just because you eat, sleep, and breathe something that everybody knows or even cares about it. There are probably people out there who would think I was weird for not knowing all the names of the Octomom's babies.

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
I am a Cyclone to the core, but there is more to ISU than just athletics. I don't fault people for not being as interested/involved in it as I am. It's hard enough just being a Cyclone on the eastern side of the state.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
I think that the 80s and 90's killed a lot of the alumni support for football. Basketball was still decent, but that sport isn't as engrossing as a good football weekend with the tailgating. Seems to me that student support now is better than it has been for a long time. Cyclone Alley in BB and attendance in FB are both at high levels. And that's with some bad teams. Sports are a lot bigger deal to students now than they were 10-15 years ago. So if a recent alumni doesn't care about ISU sports, then he probably doesn't like sports in general...because it would be tough not to get caught up in that.

People who leave town on gameday weekends = losers. Even if you don't like ISU or football in general, how could you skip out on the tailgate?

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
I believe Husker fans are the worst in this category. Living in Omaha, it is very sad that I know more about Husker athletics than the vast majority of Husker fans I meet.

frontrangeclone

Apr 11, 2006
Cache Valley
twitter.com
You may find this hard to believe but some people just have no interest in sports. I have plenty of friends who would have no clue who won the championship in ANY of the major sports last year. College or pro. There are actually other things to talk about. I am a huge sports fan, but you can't assume that just because you eat, sleep, and breathe something that everybody knows or even cares about it. There are probably people out there who would think I was weird for not knowing all the names of the Octomom's babies.

As I pointed out in my original post, I realize not everyone is into sports and people have varied interests, me included. I don't breathe, eat, drink, sleep ISU sports. I enjoy them as alternative entertainment and they are a connection to my alma mater, friends, and home state. It just struck me when I ran into this guy on the east coast from ISU/Ames and he's absolutely clueless about anything ISU sports related. I then realized that perhaps the problem of ISU athletics is that a large chunk of our alumni just don't care (never have, never will), which results in empty upper deck corners at Jack Trice, no bowled-in endzone, the comatose-state of Hilton Magic, and the death of the baseball program. It's just a force that is nearly impossible to overcome, at least on a generational basis. If the W's start coming consistently like in the "glory years" of 2000-01 in the major sports, perhaps interest will grow.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I think that the 80s and 90's killed a lot of the alumni support for football. Basketball was still decent, but that sport isn't as engrossing as a good football weekend with the tailgating. Seems to me that student support now is better than it has been for a long time. Cyclone Alley in BB and attendance in FB are both at high levels. And that's with some bad teams. Sports are a lot bigger deal to students now than they were 10-15 years ago. So if a recent alumni doesn't care about ISU sports, then he probably doesn't like sports in general...because it would be tough not to get caught up in that.

People who leave town on gameday weekends = losers. Even if you don't like ISU or football in general, how could you skip out on the tailgate?

You got to be kidding.... Their was a lottery for basketball tickets 15 years ago.

Nietendo seems to be a bigger deal for students now.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
Their is a lot more to life than ISU and it's sports program.

SMALL___Blasphemy___Shelly.jpg

isunorth

Mar 3, 2009
Minneapolis
I know a lot of ISU fans that are that way, but I think it goes for any school.

I know we're all big sports fans, but a lot of people go to school and couldn't care less about athletics. They don't get into it when they're at college and they don't get into it when they leave.

Even some of us that were into it at college, lose touch after they graduate. I've been less and less interested the past few years due to the fact that I can't find a game on TV in Minneapolis to save my life. I'm pretty much stuck with checking scores online.

I also notice a lot of people on this board are still living in Iowa. This makes the Cyclones and Hawkeyes a lot easier to ignore. When you move away and no one else gives a sh*t, sports is pretty easy to forget about if you don't seek it out.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
I know a lot of ISU fans that are that way, but I think it goes for any school.

I know we're all big sports fans, but a lot of people go to school and couldn't care less about athletics. They don't get into it when they're at college and they don't get into it when they leave.

Even some of us that were into it at college, lose touch after they graduate. I've been less and less interested the past few years due to the fact that I can't find a game on TV in Minneapolis to save my life. I'm pretty much stuck with checking scores online.

I also notice a lot of people on this board are still living in Iowa. This makes the Cyclones and Hawkeyes a lot easier to ignore. When you move away and no one else gives a sh*t, sports is pretty easy to forget about if you don't seek it out.
I think you speak the truth here....no matter who you are, people want to be a part of a group. Thats why alot of us became isu fans while in school, but once you move away you have to have a really big attachment to being a fan because you are no longer around the group.

Even though I grew up in iowa, I was never an isu fan until i went to school....isu wasn't visible in nw iowa growing up and none of my friends or family were isu fans. So, it makes perfect sense to me.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
I have friends who went to ISU and could care less about sports. Sometimes I wonder if they lead happier lives than I do... Except for today of course, because we just found out we're going to win the NC next year. :wink:

That said, I would think people out of state would be more interested in looking for ways to connect with Iowa Staters. One time in Seattle I had a couple chase me down on foot in the Wal-Mart parking lot because they saw me get out of a car with an Iowa State window sticker. We talked for a minute and they I told them about our football gamewatches downtown and told them they should come to one. They looked at me like I was going to ask them for a donation to the Alumni Association or something, and that was pretty much the end of our conversation.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I guess I'm not that surprised. I would say over 50% of the people I know could care less about sports, regardless of where (or if) they attended college. We all have differing interests.