Fareway Corporate Offices to move to Johnston

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Did an audit at their Boone corp location many moons ago. That place was very 80's in decor.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
HyVee did the same move from Chariton several years ago probably for the same reasons. Mixed results in my view.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
HyVee did the same move from Chariton several years ago probably for the same reasons. Mixed results in my view.
At least this one is a member of the founder’s family, and not waiting until the former CEO/family member is in Europe to announce it.

I think the logic with dumping Boone is less as far as attracting talent, it is close to Ames and Des Moines anyway. And I guess with all that talent, Hy-Vee still has to have it’s IT in another continent.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Fareway has been toying with the idea of putting a second distribution center between Des Moines and Kansas City so they can expand further South. Moving the HQ to the Des Moines area to split the difference between Boone and a 2nd DC makes sense (and because they need the Corporate office space as they had to rent out some office space in downtown Boone to house some people the last few years)

charlie_B

Mar 21, 2017
  • Haha
Reactions: AirWalke and wxman1

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
There is a certain anti progress Marion citizen that is very outspoken and literally said "Marion should be more like Boone". Thankfully his mayoral candidacy ended in an epic failure.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I wouldn't be surprised if this also played into the decision. The city of Boone has very few amenities compared to the metro.

They voted down a $10 million rec facility when Fareway offered up a $2 million match.

So the taxpayers were only on the hook for $8 million.

$2 million... free. Boone is not going to stumble into free money like that frequently.

I wonder if some residual frustration over that might be playing a part.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
This feels a LOT like the Chariton/Hy-Vee move, which happened in the early 90's(30 years ago). They are leaving some things in Boone just like Hy-Vee left some things in Chariton.

StratCY

Apr 22, 2011
Austin, TX
Worked in that Boone warehouse for 10 years, mixed feelings about this. If the warehouse stays where it is, it should help. It'll be a plus for the warehouse workers who dont want to deal with the corporate guys any more than they have to.

The job did pay pretty well after topping out (~$19/hr when I had left), but the management was less than desirable (with a few exceptions).

This is an interesting move for Fareway, however not super surprising I guess. They were always expanding when I was there, opening maybe 3-4 stores/year. I could see them going south as well.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Boone has been dieing for a long time and almost all the graduates leave. I would assume that plays a factor into looking at certain types of positions they'd need in today's world.

• Friendly
Reactions: StClone

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Boone has been dieing for a long time and almost all the graduates leave. I would assume that plays a factor into looking at certain types of positions they'd need in today's world.
Boone's population has been almost completely unchanged for 80 years.

Quite remarkable, really.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Boone's population has been almost completely unchanged for 80 years.

Quite remarkable, really.
Wow, that's surprising. Thank you for the correction.

I grew up in Ogden so we went to Boone all the time and my then fiance and I lived there for a couple years around 2001-2003 (she grew up there). Downtown is a bunch of closed or burnt down stores last time I was there (been a few years). There's been some expansion out by the new Walmart and Redekers locations, but otherwise it seems like every business has closed up (or did).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron