Favorite Bar in Ames

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
I covered door a few times at Cy's roost as a backup for a friend who worked there, but when I went out drinking with friends we would go to Welch Ave. Station. Their Thursday night special of $1 cover and $2 pitchers of beer was hard to beat and my senior year I scheduled my classes around it.

I remember that, $1 cover, dollar bottles, dollar daqueries and $2 pitchers Thursday nights at WAS. We used to go there every Thursday night.

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
Spent nearly every weekday evening unwinding at Tork's Pub. Coldest beer in Ames ! (After 4 - 5 hours of studying, of course)

Reactions: Cyfan1965

DeBruzzio

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Fort Dodge native
Mr. B's downtown in the 70's.

I also remember a friend of mine living near Dugans Deli just west of campus. Is this place still there under a different name, or is the building gone.

Reactions: CycloneOE

down2cyz

Jan 11, 2008
I graduated in '03, so when I was there we usually did Welch or Paddy's. Sometimes MoJazz on Fridays.

Since then, I usually go to Outlaws when I am back, as it is where my still active student friends go. I did go to Welch awhile back and it is amazing how better that place is when you can't smoke inside.

helgymatt

Apr 20, 2009
I remember that, $1 cover, dollar bottles, dollar daqueries and $2 pitchers Thursday nights at WAS. We used to go there every Thursday night.

$15 cover at Cy's VEISHA Saturday. WOW...must have been a good playlist on the Dell.

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
97-01:
Paddy's during the week, sometimes on the weekends if we got in early and there was no good band at People's
Micky's on Tuesday nights
People's on Fri-Sat for FAC and $1 bottles or Mon for Tea night

Thank God I lived on Lynn and could stumble my way home.

liquorlyles

Jun 22, 2008
Has to be Winston's. Chuck (the owner) was struggling after just opening the bar and a bunch of us walked in one night when the place was pretty dead.

We promised him that we would recruit all of our friends and help him out any way we could. We were there again a few nights later when a buddy of mine had about 15 of his fraternity friends show up out of the blue. It was by total chance since we really hadn't recruited anybody.

Chuck gave us all the credit for the business even though we had nothing to do with it, and promised that our first pitcher of beer was free every time we walked through the door from that point on.

Chuck still lets me drink free when I see him but its been a few years and I'm not sure if he owns any bars in Campustown any more or not??

Cyznutz

Jan 6, 2009
Illinois
'99-'04
Mon: Micky's it was ladies night, and always had my friend get my drinks!
Tues: Paddy's for two for one
Wed: Start at Paddy's for buck burgers and bottles, and at 9 went to Sips for 75 cent captain and cokes!
Thur:Sips, ladies night (see Monday)
Fri: MoJazz for FAC, penny pitchers, then floated to where ever, so drunk I didn't care, Micky's for a while had $1 tallboys cans of Old Style, and 2 for 1 shots!
Sat: Went with the flow, mostly Cy's, Micky's and Sips

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
Cy's Roost...then they screwed it up..I go Welch Ave when back in Ames now

Yeah, they screwed up Cys, they screwed up L&F and they definitely screwed up Peoples. My favorite bars are pretty much gone now. I'll go to Welch Ave when I'm down there, but I'm more likely to go to Main St now.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
Dean's list! That was the place to hang out and pick up ladies! :)
Boheme was place to meet nice international students.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
'99-'04
Wed: Start at Paddy's for buck burgers and bottles, and at 9 went to Sips for 75 cent captain and cokes!
Fri: MoJazz for FAC, penny pitchers, then floated to where ever, so drunk I didn't care, Micky's for a while had $1 tallboys cans of Old Style, and 2 for 1 shots!

You party animal. I remember the days you used to party hardcore!!

EddieISU

Aug 16, 2008
Waukee "The Key", iowa
I really enjoyed Thumbs. They had some good looking bartenders. You could bring in your own cd and they would play it. And probably my favorite reason was the old Pac-Man game, (the one where you sit face to face with your competitor)I know I lost laundry money many o' times because of that darn machine.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
'99-'04

You got drunk 6 nights a week?? Good lord.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron