FedEx pledges $25M to Memphis NIL

clone37

Oct 9, 2010
At what point do we just scrap the whole concept of "college athletics". Just make a new level of lower level professional sports, go independent of the universities, and be done with it.
That's exactly the way this is, and will, be heading in the coming years.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
At what point do we just scrap the whole concept of "college athletics". Just make a new level of lower level professional sports, go independent of the universities, and be done with it.

We're already there. They just need the universities for the tax shelter.

To go a step further, there is talk of the Big 10 and SEC leaving the NCAA and forming a new division where all athletes would have to be paid a minimum amount. The new division could make it's own rules like increasing the number of scholarships per team, etc.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I was kind of surprised when I went to Memphis on a business trip how popular Memphis hoops is. I figured it’d be grizzlies and Vols football but really felt like Memphis hoops was the main team of the people.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
I was kind of surprised when I went to Memphis on a business trip how popular Memphis hoops is. I figured it’d be grizzlies and Vols football but really felt like Memphis hoops was the main team of the people.
I've been to memphis probably a dozen times and don't remember ever seeing vols gear on anyone. I wonder if the distance apart is a factor. tennessee is a long ass state. That's a 6 hour drive if you don't hit traffic in knoxville, nashville (always bad), or memphis. plus knoxville is in a different time zone. not exactly an easy "hey let's go to a vols game".

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
I've been to memphis probably a dozen times and don't remember ever seeing vols gear on anyone. I wonder if the distance apart is a factor. tennessee is a long ass state. That's a 6 hour drive if you don't hit traffic in knoxville, nashville (always bad), or memphis. plus knoxville is in a different time zone. not exactly an easy "hey let's go to a vols game".
I usually see a blend of Memphis, Miss St, Ole Miss, and some Arkansas thrown in.