Firmly Entrenched-Iowa Everywhere

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
Is anyone able to listen to this?

Jake just isn't that good at podcasting, his delivery and takes aren't that good.
Nick is much more uninterested in the topics due to him going full in on the Badgers and BIG10.

I tried to listen to it again today and I had to turn it off after 7 minutes.

I really wanted to like it and gave it multiple chances, just not for me at all.

Reactions: cyclone1209

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Is anyone able to listen to this?

Jake just isn't that good at podcasting, his delivery and takes aren't that good.
Nick is much more uninterested in the topics due to him going full in on the Badgers and BIG10.

I tried to listen to it again today and I had to turn it off after 7 minutes.

I really wanted to like it and gave it multiple chances, just not for me at all.
I gave it up a couple episodes after Nick left Cyclone Alert for the same reasons you've mentioned. There's just way too much other content out there to spend time listening to so-so podcasts.

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
I gave it up a couple episodes after Nick left Cyclone Alert for the same reasons you've mentioned. There's just way too much other content out there to spend time listening to so-so podcasts.
It's pretty disappointing when 1/2 your cyclone podcast team says "I'll actually be able to watch the whole game this week", or "I didn't see the 1st half, but didn't Rocco throw a pick 6" Those are 2 actual quotes.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
It's pretty disappointing when 1/2 your cyclone podcast team says "I'll actually be able to watch the whole game this week", or "I didn't see the 1st half, but didn't Rocco throw a pick 6" Those are 2 actual quotes.
Amen. This drives me nuts in the local sports media/podcast world. I get that people have stuff in their lives and you may miss a game once in awhile. But if your job or supposed passion project is going to be talking about sports....specifically a local sports team like ISU, expectation should be you at least watch their games when providing thoughts/breakdown of it.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Amen. This drives me nuts in the local sports media/podcast world. I get that people have stuff in their lives and you may miss a game once in awhile. But if your job or supposed passion project is going to be talking about sports....specifically a local sports team like ISU, expectation should be you at least watch their games when providing thoughts/breakdown of it.
I agree with your sentiment, but we need to look at this through a more honest/realistic lens:

Osen and Hassel are a lot alike in that IE is a side hustle for them and not their main job. Neither cover ISU as part of their main job. Neither are lifelong fans of ISU. And both have other games that are much more important to them/their jobs than watching ISU games.

So, in short, I don't think it's fair to say it's either of their jobs or their primary passion projects.

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
I agree with your sentiment, but we need to look at this through a more honest/realistic lens:

Osen and Hassel are a lot alike in that IE is a side hustle for them and not their main job. Neither cover ISU as part of their main job. Neither are lifelong fans of ISU. And both have other games that are much more important to them/their jobs than watching ISU games.

So, in short, I don't think it's fair to say it's either of their jobs or their primary passion projects.
Probably need to find somebody else to do it then.

Reactions: Cy83ag and pourcyne

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010

Well put. I have a friend that is a "pessimistic" Cyclone fan and it drives me nuts when he will say something and i'm like "did you even watch?" and he hasn't.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and bozclone

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I have to give the hok beat writers/ podcasters grudging credit, they don’t mess around at all with any needless chit chat. They talk about nothing but Iowa athletics. I really wish the ISU pods would follow that example. I find myself scrubbing my way through 50% of the individual podcasts at times. Or sometimes just stopping listening and never going back.

Reactions: pourcyne

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com

I wasn't even talking those two specifically. Just a general gripe at sports coverage/podcasts where they didn't actual watch the event they're discussing. But yes, if something isn't your passion, do something else or change the name/description of the podcast to encompass what you are passionate about.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I like Firmly Entrenched because of the guys because of Jake and Nick. I really value the perspective they bring (e.g. Nick has forgotten more about the recruiting process than I'll ever know). I listen because of what they contribute, not necessarily what I might want.

For me, the secret sauce of Iowa Everywhere (and the CF pods) is the combination of all the perspectives. I like some podcasts more than others, but I like each one more because of how it fits in the greater context.