Flex Protect Plus scheduling and if the Big 12 would adopt a similar model

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
The Big 10 announced its conference matchups for the 2024 and 2025 season. They have done away with divisions and the conference game will be a simple #1 v #2. The major innovation is how they are protecting key rivalries. They have have adopted what they are calling Flex Protect Plus model. While the name doesn't really tell you much on its face, it boils down to each conference member can have up to three protected annual conference games each year, but are not required to have three.

In practice this results in most of the members having one or two annual rivalries protected: OSU-Michigan, Michigan-MSU, USC-UCLA, Rutgers-Maryland, etc. Penn St ends up with no protected rivalries, while Iowa has three with Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Minnesota.

So looking at the future Big 12, I am curious how this model would apply. I would say the obvious ones are Sunflower, Farmaggedon, Revivalry, UH-Tech, WVU-Cinci. I would imagine that UCF and BYU wouldn't have any protected annual rivals, but what other matchups do you feel need to be protected? ISU-OSU, BYU-TCU, UCF-UH, others?

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Iowa would have 4-5 if you let them. Might as well toss in IL and Purdon’t. That way, they have a better chance of keeping the tradition of playing as many tomato cans as possible while avoiding blue bloods. Iowa feasts on programs that can’t get their **** together and the B10W has been full of them.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
No offense, but what exactly is innovative about this structure? Several fans have suggested this exact approach for years.

You pretty much covered the list of what would be protected games though outside of the Riot Bowl. I think UCF and Cincy have a “rivalry” as well.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The Big 10 announced its conference matchups for the 2024 and 2025 season. They have done away with divisions and the conference game will be a simple #1 v #2. The major innovation is how they are protecting key rivalries. They have have adopted what they are calling Flex Protect Plus model. While the name doesn't really tell you much on its face, it boils down to each conference member can have up to three protected annual conference games each year, but are not required to have three.

In practice this results in most of the members having one or two annual rivalries protected: OSU-Michigan, Michigan-MSU, USC-UCLA, Rutgers-Maryland, etc. Penn St ends up with no protected rivalries, while Iowa has three with Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Minnesota.

So looking at the future Big 12, I am curious how this model would apply. I would say the obvious ones are Sunflower, Farmaggedon, Revivalry, UH-Tech, WVU-Cinci. I would imagine that UCF and BYU wouldn't have any protected annual rivals, but what other matchups do you feel need to be protected? ISU-OSU, BYU-TCU, UCF-UH, others?

There's three obvious "sets" of protected rivalries for the Big 12 --

Iowa State-Kansas-Kansas State-Oklahoma State = old Big Eight
Baylor-Houston-TCU-Texas Tech = Texas foursome
Cincinnati-UCF-WVU = some past history and eastern travel buddies

BYU is the only one where I don't see any obvious rivalries to protect. You could easily put them into that eastern pod, though, for scheduling convenience, and then do this...

Play your own foursome = 3
Play 3/4 of the other two = 3 + 3 (no more than two road games against one foursome)
= 9 conference game

You'd see your foursome rivals every season and the others 75% of the time.

Everybody would be guaranteed a road game in Texas somewhere every season.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
There's three obvious "sets" of protected rivalries for the Big 12 --

Iowa State-Kansas-Kansas State-Oklahoma State = old Big Eight
Baylor-Houston-TCU-Texas Tech = Texas foursome
Cincinnati-UCF-WVU = some past history and eastern travel buddies

BYU is the only one where I don't see any obvious rivalries to protect. You could easily put them into that eastern pod, though, for scheduling convenience, and then do this...

Play your own foursome = 3
Play 3/4 of the other two = 3 + 3 (no more than two road games against one foursome)
= 9 conference game

You'd see your foursome rivals every season and the others 75% of the time.

Everybody would be guaranteed a road game in Texas somewhere every season.
if we did bring in AZ/CU, BYU would hook in with them.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
One thing I think is a little odd with the Big 10 model is every team has a different amount of protected games.

Is that fair?

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
One thing I think is a little odd with the Big 10 model is every team has a different amount of protected games.

Is that fair?
I think all teams can get up to 3 protected games. If some have less than that I'm guessing that's all they asked for.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I think all teams can get up to 3 protected games. If some have less than that I'm guessing that's all they asked for.
so you're saying Penn St asked for none?

if teams don't have 3 protected teams- they are assigned teams to play for 2 years straight.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
If the league stays at 12, they don't really need to do much. The teams will cycle through quickly where you play everyone at least twice every 4 years no matter the model. Going to 14 teams and I'd like to see something creative done. 5-4-4 model (5 protected, 4 cycle through every 2 years) or the Big 10 plan.

It's hard to make a 2024 schedule when you don't know who is in the league.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
so you're saying Penn St asked for none?

if teams don't have 3 protected teams- they are assigned teams to play for 2 years straight.
No idea, maybe I'm wrong, it just says protected rivalries were finalized in conjunction with all 16 teams.

Help Support Us

Become a patron