Football: Strengths vs Weakness

cyclonepower74

Dec 25, 2010
i think our wide recievers r a good strength albert gary horne west lenz young there all talented n can catch and get out n run

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Originally Posted by clonestar12
Additional strength:
Punting

Perennial Weakness:
Field Goal kicking

No doubt. How many more wins would our overall record have if we could hit field goals?

Last year? Zero.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
The way I see it:

Strengths

Linebacker - Fairly obvious with 2 returning all conference performers
Punting - I think this one is obvious too.

Potential Strengths
Running Back - If SJ returns and is what we've been hearing, definitely a strength. Without SJ I'd say we have depth w/average to above average backs, but no standouts.
Defensive Line - I may be overrating here, but I think with the added depth and experience, we're shaping up for a good year.

Push
Quarterback - Neither of the QBs were better than average last year (if that), and I don't see any reason to expect improvement thusfar.
Offensive Line - Too much youth involved to call it a strength at this point
Secondary - Lost our two best players, CBs are SHORT.

Potential Weakness
Wide Receiver - No reason to believe in improvement here until they prove it on the field, but the position does seem to slowly be getting more talented.
Tight End - Same as wide receiver. I like Hammerschmidt, but I have more hope for improvement at this position if Brun wins the job.

Weakness
Kicking - Fairly obvious

Well said :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Though, maybe QB is a push/concern

copenhagen

Apr 23, 2007
I think db will be a push. ISU usually has solid dbs. The curious and frustrating one is te. I cant believe we never seem able to get a stable of good tight ends.

bfross

Apr 10, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Additional strength:
Punting

Kirby was still very solid last year, but he wasn't as good as his freshman campaign after he got that punt blocked against Texas. Still good enough to finish 4th in the conference and 29th overall in distance, but we were 51st in net punting due in part to his hang time slipping as he tried to get kicks off faster after that block.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I really don't think QB will be a weakness. I understand people going with last year until proven otherwise, but it's pretty normal for a QB to improve after having a little experience under their belt. I think Mess will be the biggest improvement for this offense, every position he touches improves. Herman was just too smart and tried doing too much. Plus I hate to say it because Money was our best WR, but losing him and Darks may be addition by subtraction because of all the drops they had.