For Sale: Investment House in Ottumwa

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
With this property being on the market for 138 days shows it’s over priced/needs updates. I’d look into putting about 15-20k into it and not adjust the sales price.

• Disagree
Reactions: mynameisjonas

g4ce

Feb 6, 2018
The disc golf course at IHCC is legit. I grew up in the area and that disc golf course is an Iowa gem.

Reactions: khardbored

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
why not update with about 10k and sell for 250k???

The realtor has repeatedly advised us to not do that.

Ottumwa isn't like the DSM area, or the Chicago suburbs. It has it's own feel, and demand for a $250,000 house is less than the demand for $214,000 house. The average salary in Ottumwa is suppressed.

If a retired couple that has the money, but wants to stay in Ottumwa decides to buy it, they are going to fix it up in whatever way they want. A "remodel incentive" will go further than me picking how to remodel.

At least that's the working theory.

If someone could buy it for $214,000, put in $10,000, and easily sell for $250,000 (a $26K profit) I would guess that would have already happened by now.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
With this property being on the market for 138 days shows it’s over priced/needs updates. I’d look into putting about 15-20k into it and not adjust the sales price.

Yes, 138 days, but it was listed in Mid-November right before a terrible cold winter. (Not a good time to list, but circumstances unrelated to the house itself forced our hand.) If no legit action by June or so, I agree it will be time for a new strategy, or possible take off the market for a while.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yes, 138 days, but it was listed in Mid-November right before a terrible cold winter. (Not a good time to list, but circumstances unrelated to the house itself forced our hand.) If no legit action by June or so, I agree it will be time for a new strategy, or possible take off the market for a while.
Not sure if North Iowa is way different than south Iowa but up here realtors quite often have house sold in less than a week and many times within 24 hours of getting the listing. Paint is huge, if it has odd colors, I would paint. Many people also don’t want to remodel they want to move in, why I question your realtors strategy.

• Agree
Reactions: Macloney

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Not sure if North Iowa is way different than south Iowa but up here realtors quite often have house sold in less than a week and many times within 24 hours of getting the listing. Paint is huge, if it has odd colors, I would paint. Many people also don’t want to remodel they want to move in, why I question your realtors strategy.

To a degree, I have the same thought.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I am 100% ignorant of the Ottumwa housing and contracting market, but $10k translates to less than $4/sqft installed to redo the floors on the main level only. I think you’re low, and I don’t think it would make $40k in price difference.

I put $17,000 grand into my place (1500sf) and got new wood floors and kitchen counters last year and did 90% of the work. This is a sick house, but I agree the right number is probably $40,000 to $50,000 to get it shined up.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
The realtor has repeatedly advised us to not do that.

THIS. If a retired couple that has the money, but wants to stay in Ottumwa decides to buy it, they are going to fix it up in whatever way they want. A "remodel incentive" will go further than me picking how to remodel.
Not sure why the house is being marketed as an investment (rental) house? I don't see this as the buyer.

ISU/Iowa fan

Apr 1, 2021
blow's my mind why real estate agents post pictures with so many code violations. As a home inspector, good luck getting anywhere near that price unless a clueless bank or cash offer.