Fran McCaffery and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Transfer Portal

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I don’t think his class has any Iowa kids. Which would end a long streak it seems like.

don't they have guards in the worst way ? and need some better ones.
I can't find where this guy has signed anywhere. He would solve the "no Iowa recruit" problem, his dad was a walk-on (legacy), he attends IC West, plays with Fran's son, he's a point guard, and doesn't look to be particularly strong. I don't think he has any stars as a recruit. Seems perfect for Fran.

Screenshot 2024-04-15 135250.png

Reactions: VeloClone

cyclone82

Sep 22, 2022
Franny was a “ little “ off in his estimation of value for Perkins….. no wonder he fails in recruiting so much

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
What are you even talking about they can't afford Born. He's going to command well more than the $585 Fran's been given to work with.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
If the Swarm could afford the rumored prices for Mclemara and Proctor I would assume they could do the same for Basketball if Fran pushed for support.

Pretty clear Fran doesn't want to dip his toes in the high level recruiting in HS or the portal thus there isn't an ask to generate the money for Basketball. Major reason he commitments are local and legacy players who have inherent push to Iowa City and not compete against real programs and NIL.
The apathy for Fran and the program as whole also contributes to donors not wanting to provide the NIL money to the program.
My question is do doners want to get behind Fran anymore. I don't know the inner workings of NIL conglomerates but I'd guess most donations are directed to FB out east. Probably more to WBB than the men right now at least.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
That's a bummer for UNI, kind a sign of the times. They might be taking a peek at Kyle Green soon. This has to be really frustrating for Jacobson.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

cyclone82

Sep 22, 2022
Coach Green probably recognizes he’s better here than dealing with the portal **** as the head guy at uni…..
And, would Born make the Sukeyes any better? Probably not as suited for tiny ten as Perkins….

Reactions: dahliaclone

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
My question is do doners want to get behind Fran anymore. I don't know the inner workings of NIL conglomerates but I'd guess most donations are directed to FB out east. Probably more to WBB than the men right now at least.
That is the feeling I get from listening to pod casts and reading their board. The fanbase is tired of Fran, most of the NIL is going to FB and WBB with the success they have had. EIU is really in a tough spot with Fran. All time wins for a coach at the school, does a good job making the tournament 4 out of 5 years and tends to finish in the upper half of the conference. But has never gotten past the first weekend of the tournament, and they owe him for 4 more seasons on the contract which is now just starting. Throw in the fact you have a new AD, I am sure she does not want to piss off the large boosters with firing of Fran and paying him the buyout. Fran wins enough to keep getting employed by the university, they like he recruits local kids and has avoided the scandals that have hit the program in the past. I would think they will give him one if not two years and if he has not gone on a tournament run, they buy him out the last couple years of the contract.

You also have to wonder with the TV money rolling in does EIU have the money to buyout Fran, the stopping the construction of the baseball stadium remodel makes one wonder if they are rich on paper but poor in funds. Bring in a lot of money each year, and it rolls out as fast as it comes in. During covid they and not ISU had to borrow money from the school to make it through the year.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8 and Acylum

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Coach Green probably recognizes he’s better here than dealing with the portal **** as the head guy at uni…..
And, would Born make the Sukeyes any better? Probably not as suited for tiny ten as Perkins….
Green is exactly the kind of coach who will thrive in the portal era. They guy knows everyone, he's been recruiting this part of the country for 25 years. Our program has been built on kids Green had relationships with. He might not take the job but the portal won't phase him.

Last edited:
Reactions: dahliaclone

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
He isn't likeable or easy to support.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
That is the feeling I get from listening to pod casts and reading their board. The fanbase is tired of Fran, most of the NIL is going to FB and WBB with the success they have had. EIU is really in a tough spot with Fran. All time wins for a coach at the school, does a good job making the tournament 4 out of 5 years and tends to finish in the upper half of the conference. But has never gotten past the first weekend of the tournament, and they owe him for 4 more seasons on the contract which is now just starting. Throw in the fact you have a new AD, I am sure she does not want to piss off the large boosters with firing of Fran and paying him the buyout. Fran wins enough to keep getting employed by the university, they like he recruits local kids and has avoided the scandals that have hit the program in the past. I would think they will give him one if not two years and if he has not gone on a tournament run, they buy him out the last couple years of the contract.

You also have to wonder with the TV money rolling in does EIU have the money to buyout Fran, the stopping the construction of the baseball stadium remodel makes one wonder if they are rich on paper but poor in funds. Bring in a lot of money each year, and it rolls out as fast as it comes in. During covid they and not ISU had to borrow money from the school to make it through the year.
$5.5 million for a 2300 sq ft clubhouse? That $ amount cant be right …