Friday OT #1 - This Ain’t No Miss Club, or CBGB

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
Back in the late 90's my girlfriend at the time and me were in London wandering around Hyde Park and apparently Simply Red was playing a concert there that night and some rando stopped us giving us tickets. Said his mate wasn't coming so we could have his tickets. We thought it was a scam, but what the hell lets see if we can get in. Got it and sat 20 rows or so from the stage on a gorgeous night. One of the coolest/oddest things to happen to me.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
wasn't me, but yes that made it unbelievable. I remember looking to my friend and we weren't upset at all that the show ended because it was all so on brand and incredible.
We felt the same. If memory serves we got around 45 minutes of show, so not too bad. And yes, completely on brand for a Mats show, was glad to have been a part of it.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie and drlove

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I have seen plenty of stadium shows Jack Trice, Arrowhead, Mile High as well as a lot of outdoor concerts at Sandstone here in KC. I still prefer smaller venues. I saw many many shows at the Beaumont Club in Westport before they closed. It wasn't the best place, but it had the best memories for me.

Reactions: cyguy9320

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Love Red Rocks. Was always on my bucket list but now I only live an hour away. I've been hitting 2-3 shows every year.

Reactions: drlove

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Red Rocks gets all the attention in Colorado for good reason. But I got to see shows at a couple other stunning venues when I lived out there (not my pics)

Mishawaka Amphitheater up the canyon a ways from Fort Collins. The water running behind the stage makes for a really cool experience:
Mish-edited-e1496781924566.jpg

Dillon Amphitheater:
JeniseJensenShakeyGraves9422-00788-1024x683.jpg
Colorado Springs is building a new amphitheater. 8000 seats but much more grass seating available. People are referring to it as Red Rocks South. Looks like it's going to be pretty sweet.

1697215979514.png

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Also, love what I assume is a Talking Heads reference @Angie.

If anyone hasn't seen the re-release of Stop Making Sense, you need to go.

I love that you picked it up! I realize as I get older how much of my life has had Talking Heads as a part of the soundtrack without me realizing it.

Reactions: drlove and Entropy

cyguy9320

Nov 26, 2006
I have seen plenty of stadium shows Jack Trice, Arrowhead, Mile High as well as a lot of outdoor concerts at Sandstone here in KC. I still prefer smaller venues. I saw many many shows at the Beaumont Club in Westport before they closed. It wasn't the best place, but it had the best memories for me.
Sandstone? You mean Verizon Wireless/Capitol Federal Park/Cricket Wireless/Providence Medical Center/Azura Amphitheater? ;)

Never saw a show at Beaumont Club - but staying in Westport, I miss Riot Room. Another dump, but some of my favorite shows were in that grimy pit.

• Winner
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
The KC ZOO amphitheater is pretty cool as well.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Thanks so much to @somecyguy for the first OT thread topic!

What are some cool venues/places you’ve seen a concert?

Most of mine have been around here, but the McMenemen’s Edgefield outdoor venue in Portland, OR was a lot of fun this summer. Very chill, lots of pine trees around, etc.

What are yours?
I've only been to concerts in Hilton, Cy Stephens and Magic Springs, which is an amusement park.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Saw Spinal Tap and a Puppet show at an amusement park (forget where). It was shortly after Nigel Tufnel had recently quit the band. I think it was sometime in the early 80s. It was sparsely attended.

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
NonPoint-Caboose (Minneapolis)
Sevendust-3rd St Live (Cedar Rapids)
Blues Traveller-Horizon Event Center (Des Moines)
Dirty Heads-Peoples (Des Moines)
Dotfest-(Ankeny)
GLove-Theater of Living Arts (Philadelphia)
Mudvayne-Vets (Des Moines)
Static-X-Toad Holler (Des Moines)

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
Red Rocks - Reggae on the Rocks (2014); Bassnectar (x2); Pretty Lights; Brantley Gilbert/Justin Moore; Odesza; Bonobo/Chet Faker; Kacey Musgraves/John Prine; Umphrey's McGee; The National; Zed's Dead; Modest Mouse
Mile High (Sports Authority) - Luke Bryan
Filmore Auditorium - Alt-J; Eoto; Anderson East/Chris Stapleton
Blue Bird Theatre - would need to look at my stubs
Ogden Theatre - Marian Hill
Summit Music Hall - Thrice
Lost Lake Lounge - Tyler Childers
Mayan Paramount Theatre - Sturgill Simpson
Colorado Convention Center - Decadence
Rendezvous Event Center (Winter Park, CO) - Umphrey's McGee

Surf Ballroom - Justin Moore
Hilton - Brantley Gilbert

Favorites would be Sturgill Simpson @Mayan Paramount Theatre - love his music and the venue was really unique (although theatre seating for a concert is... something) and probably Reggae on the Rocks because it is an all-day music festival and it started POURING at like 3 in the afternoon so the place cleared out, me and my buddies were already soaked so we road out the storm, moved down and ended up essentially as close as GA would allow for the night sets.

Honorable mentions would be Odesza and Bassnectar at Red Rocks; Brantley Gilbert released his set from the show I went to as a live album so that was pretty cool too.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyclones500

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
4x for me.
I also saw PW solo once. He told us that he nearly canceled the show because he had to go to urgent care that day after trying to iron his pants while wearing them. He dropped his pants to show the bandage.
Impressive. I saw Westerberg solo once when he played the Union in IC. How cool would it have been to see them at those early Twin Cities shows.

Reactions: drlove

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron