Friday OT #1 - This Ain’t No Miss Club, or CBGB

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Sevendust-3rd St Live (Cedar Rapids)

I went to a bunch of 3rd St Live shows. That area was super sketchy back in the day. I was never sure my car would be there when we left. I was there one night when a couple guys got thrown out, so they went to their car, got guns and started shooting out the windows. Freaking chaos.

• Wow
Reactions: NWICY

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Red Rocks - Reggae on the Rocks (2014); Bassnectar (x2); Pretty Lights; Brantley Gilbert/Justin Moore; Odesza; Chet Faker; Kacey Musgraves/John Prine; Umphrey's McGee; The National; and a few other's I'm sure I'm missing
Mile High (Sports Authority) - Luke Bryan
Filmore Auditorium - Alt-J; Eoto; Anderson East/Chris Stapleton
Blue Bird Theatre - would need to look at my stubs
Ogden Theatre - Marian Hill
Summit Music Hall - Thrice
Lost Lake Lounge - Tyler Childers
Mayan Theatre - Sturgill Simpson
Colorado Convention Center - Decadence
Rendezvous Event Center (Winter Park, CO) - Umphrey's McGee

Surf Ballroom - Justin Moore
Hilton - Brantley Gilbert

Favorites would be Sturgill Simpson @Mayan Theatre - love his music and the venue was really unique (although theatre seating for a concert is... something) and probably Reggae on the Rocks because it is an all-day music festival and it started POURING at like 3 in the afternoon so the place cleared out, me and my buddies were already soaked so we road out the storm, moved down and ended up essentially as close as GA would allow for the night sets.

Honorable mentions would be Odesza and Bassnectar at Red Rocks; Brantley Gilbert released his set from the show I went to as a live album so that was pretty cool too.
did Tyler Childers really play the Lost Lake Lounge? WOW

Reactions: frackincygy

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
I haven't seen it in this thread, but I think Simon Estes is wildly underrated. You have an awesome view of the river and the DSM skyline towering behind it. It's fantastic.

Sadly, I don't think they do shows there anymore. But it was a great spot for a show.

One of my favorite venues is SPACE in Evanston, IL.

Red Rocks and The Gorge are on my bucket list.

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
I went to a bunch of 3rd St Live shows. That area was super sketchy back in the day. I was never sure my car would be there when we left. I was there one night when a couple guys got thrown out, so they went to their car, got guns and started shooting out the windows. Freaking chaos.
No joke! Cool venue, rough vibes outside.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I'm not a big concert goer, but from the thread that sparked this.

Sokol Underground in Omaha was always a good time. Same with the Ranch Bowl.

For Ames of course original Peoples.

I studied abroad in Newcastle Australia and their version version of the Memorial Union had an awesome venue in there that was GREAT for shows. Around that time I was also a big Silverchair fan, and they were formed at that University and played a lot of shows there.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie and Pat

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Red Rocks - Reggae on the Rocks (2014); Bassnectar (x2); Pretty Lights; Brantley Gilbert/Justin Moore; Odesza; Chet Faker; Kacey Musgraves/John Prine; Umphrey's McGee; The National; and a few other's I'm sure I'm missing
Mile High (Sports Authority) - Luke Bryan
Filmore Auditorium - Alt-J; Eoto; Anderson East/Chris Stapleton
Blue Bird Theatre - would need to look at my stubs
Ogden Theatre - Marian Hill
Summit Music Hall - Thrice
Lost Lake Lounge - Tyler Childers
Mayan Theatre - Sturgill Simpson
Colorado Convention Center - Decadence
Rendezvous Event Center (Winter Park, CO) - Umphrey's McGee

Surf Ballroom - Justin Moore
Hilton - Brantley Gilbert

Favorites would be Sturgill Simpson @Mayan Theatre - love his music and the venue was really unique (although theatre seating for a concert is... something) and probably Reggae on the Rocks because it is an all-day music festival and it started POURING at like 3 in the afternoon so the place cleared out, me and my buddies were already soaked so we road out the storm, moved down and ended up essentially as close as GA would allow for the night sets.

Honorable mentions would be Odesza and Bassnectar at Red Rocks; Brantley Gilbert released his set from the show I went to as a live album so that was pretty cool too.
I'll bet that was badass. I saw him at Hinterland several years ago, guy puts on a show, was playing angry that night. Amazing.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I saw Westerberg (w/ backing band) Sept. 4, 1996 at Barrymore Theatre in Madison, Wis. (I had to do web search to get the precise date). Cozy venue, sound was excellent, band dressed in suits, tight set. Played a good mix of solo songs & Mats tunes.

Did not see The Replacements live ... still regret it, although the opportunities at the time I think were limited, didn't get into the band until it was nearing "major label" status and by the time I was living in Twin Cities, they were touring more nationally.

Reactions: Angie

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I was supposed to see concert at The Vic, but it was canceled. I did see Calexico play at The Lincoln in Chicago a few years ago. A great place for a concert.

And technically not a concert arena, but I was at the Billy Goat Tavern to see a bunch of jazz and blues players one night. Amazing history. For those not familiar with the place, it's the reason behind the Cubs curse and the inspiration for Belushi's SNL skit, cheeseburger, cheeseburger, hamburger.

Lincoln Hall is badass, easily one of the best indoor venues I've seen a show at.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Red Rocks gets all the attention in Colorado for good reason. But I got to see shows at a couple other stunning venues when I lived out there (not my pics)

Mishawaka Amphitheater up the canyon a ways from Fort Collins. The water running behind the stage makes for a really cool experience:
Mish-edited-e1496781924566.jpg

Dillon Amphitheater:
JeniseJensenShakeyGraves9422-00788-1024x683.jpg

My bro in law grew up in FoCo and the Mish was aalways his favorite spot. You can dip your toes in the Poudre and see a great show.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
My favorite venues that I've been to:

- Starlight (KC): Easily the best venue in town and one of the best in the country. Sound system is amazing unless Jack White's crew is ******* it up (one of the most disappointing sounding shows I've seen).
- Fonda Theatre (LA): This place has amazing sound. Saw L'imperatrice and Inner Wave and both were bad ass.
- 7th St Entry (MPLS). Small room of First Ave. Technically it's nothing special but I like, that for a small room, you can easily see the stage. So many small venues **** this up.
- Ryman. The sound is really good and the balcony provides the best sound in the venue.
- Lincoln Hall (Chicago) - Someone mentioned it earlier but Lincoln Hall is great. Awesome sound and picking a spot in the balcony (along the railing is really good).
- Thalia Hall (Chicago) - Saw Roosevelt and Limperatrice. Great sound and a cool place to see a show.
- 930 Club (DC) - Great sightlines and sound no matter where you are,
- Union Transfer (Philly): Really cool place to see a show.
- Gothic Theatre (Denver) - If you can't tell I'm a big fan of 1200-1500 club venues with great sound and sightlines.
- Red Rocks - Need to see at least one show and I've picked some good ones. Tame Impala, Anderson Paak, and LCD Soundsystem probably had the best sound of the ones I've seen.
- MSG (NYC) - Most arenas aren't special but MSG is different. The location, the vibe, it even seems like the sound is so much better than other arenas.
-Armory (MPLS) - The Armory is a very unique venue, arguably there is nothing like it in the country. Great sound, mid-large indoor venue, with full lenght and staffed bars down the sides.
- Slowdown (Omaha) - I wish KC had a proper club venue of any size. The Recordbar is the closest thing we have but the Slowdown is bigger and a bit better as a pure venue.
- Kennedy Center (DC) - Saw Andrew Bird with the NSO there. Awesome show.
- Tipitinas (New Orleans) - Lots of history and I like the layout. Camped out at the balcony for North Mississippi Allstars.

Least Favorite venues:

- Sandstone (KC) - It's bad enough we have some of the shittiest promotion in the country but to be saddled with one of the shittiest outdoor amps is just a kick in the balls.
- Riviera (Chicago) - It has potential but the execution is poor. Saw The The there and wish I had went somewhere else.
- Roxy (LA) - Fans were rattling during the show and it's not like it was a bass thumping show either. What a POS.
- Sokol/Admiral (Omaha) - I guess it's been redone but it used to be a joke. Imagine having a concert in a dilapidated high school gym with a ****** soundsystem.
- Riot Room (closed KC): Nothing like being at a sold out show and not being able to see the band. This place also had the worst ventilation system I've seen in a venue (pass out city in the summer) and the men's room doors were permanently propped open. I mean, do the ladies (adjacent restroom) really want to look into our nasty ass bathroom? WTF

Favorite show:

David Byrne at the Kauffman in KC. Front row, dead center for the American Utopia tour. He is hands down the most innovative performer when it comes to the presentation of his music. Simply Amazing.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Uptown Theater in KC. Anyone been? Saw Mudvayne, 10 Years, Sevendust and another band I don’t remember back circa 05. Don’t remember a lot other than I’m surprised that place that was that nice didn’t get burned to the ground that night.

Reactions: cyguy9320

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Also, I saw the band Augustana in KC at this little place in a shady neighborhood. I’m trying to find it now and I think it’s called Aura and is a night club now. Anyone know what it used to be called?