Friday OT - I can feel it in my fingers, I can feel it in my toes

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
@Angie asked me to post the Friday OT thread this week.

I normally don't get squeamish when watching movies, but I had it happen this week. While watching Minority Report, there's a scene where Tom Cruise's character is trying to eat without using his eyes. He reaches in a fridge to grab a sandwich and milk, but the ones he grabs have gone rotten. The bread is loaded with mold and the milk is chunky. My stomach did a backwards flip and I had to look away.

What's the most visceral responses you've had to a scene in a movie?
Is there anything that you just can't watch on the big screen?

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Watching kids sneeze and seeing snot grosses me out. AFV was notorious for showing this.
Add "chewing with mouth open." Seems all kids go through this phase around age 10. Talking real life here. But the scene in A Christmas Story where the mother is playing games with Randy and he ends up snorting like a pig and shoving his face into the bowl is cringeworthy.

Reactions: Entropy

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
The American History X "teeth on the curb" scene.

Is that not where the term "curb stomping" originated? I always assumed so. I still remember the sound of the scraping of that guy's teeth as he bit down. Sheesh.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
Tower climbing videos on YouTube. Or where bizarro thrill seekers hang from a flagpole by one arm 80 stories above the street.

Edit: I guess the question specified "big screen" Pretend I'm watching Youtube projected on a big screen in a theater.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Is that not where the term "curb stomping" originated? I always assumed so. I still remember the sound of the scraping of that guy's teeth as he bit down. Sheesh.
I have no idea if that's where the term came from but yes the sound of his actual teeth. ***shivers***

• Agree

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
The scene in Poor Things where she repeatedly stabs the corpse in the face was a little cringe.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
@Angie asked me to post the Friday OT thread this week.

I normally don't get squeamish when watching movies, but I had it happen this week. While watching Minority Report, there's a scene where Tom Cruise's character is trying to eat without using his eyes. He reaches in a fridge to grab a sandwich and milk, but the ones he grabs have gone rotten. The bread is loaded with mold and the milk is chunky. My stomach did a backwards flip and I had to look away.

What's the most visceral responses you've had to a scene in a movie?
Is there anything that you just can't watch on the big screen?
The bear attack scene in The Revenant

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Any scene with a garbage disposal. Even if nothing ever happens or is shown, it just gives me the heebie jeebies. Even typing about it eesh!

Whenever something falls into our disposal and I have to get it, I unplug the thing, and then toggle the switch a few times to make sure it is 100% off.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I caught part of 'The Elephant Man' once when I was a kid and the sight of that character's face f*cked with my head for years.

If anyone has an issue with heights, the documentary 'The Alpinist' will most definitely give you the tingles.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The scene in Poor Things where she repeatedly stabs the corpse in the face was a little cringe.

I saw The Lobster by the same director and several scenes were just awful to watch whether it was the personal up close violence or the 'dog' scene.

Speaking of that, I generally can't handle scenes when pets/animals get killed in movies.

The scene with Two Socks in Dances with Wolves sticks out.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Squeamish for a different reason, but the flashback scene where they show what happened near the end of Wind River made me very, very uncomfortable in the movie theater