Fundamentally Inept Right Now

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
In terms of natural talent, probably the least offensively talented team in the conference therefore it has to win through defense. The shooters are slumping right now so the offense looks even worse. It's cute how the internet coaches want the staff "held accountable " Exceeded expectations for the year in my book. I'm sure some will be upset if they don't make the sweet 16.

We were winning with that same team just a month ago.

Obviously teams have made some adjustments that have made some things harder and they deserve some credit for that. Conversely we have got away from some things offensively that have been completely of our own doing. My Osun points still stand. What the hell have we been doing with him the previous 5-6 games? Offensively we aren't getting into offensive sets quickly and the entire team simply passes around the perimeter. Defensively guys have collapsing and triple teaming, leading to open baskets, and Otz doesn't even call TOs to straighten this **** out. Like ever. Then there's the issue of body riding on every drive and most every trap. We have been getting called consistently for these fouls yet it appears thats how we practice defense (because everyone does it).

There simply aren't a lot of signs we are making adjustments. It's really been a problem all year but wasn't as impactful when Grill was healthier and Kalscheur was hitting his shots. Now those things aren't there and other teams are taking advantage we aren't doing things to help ourselves. The lack of adaptation is fairly evident.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
I have seen him mentioned for Notre Dame. If he had stayed put, sure, but Oklahoma and the Big 12 have hurt his resume. He sure seemed to adjust appropriately in this game though.

I’ve seen Notre Dame and Porter Moser interest as well. Had Brey retired earlier I’m sure Moser would have been at South Bend instead of Norman. Definitely a position you want to watch. But I’m sure there is mutual interest.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Watching WV vs. KU and WV taking them strong to the basket about every possession, it may not be pretty on Monday night either. TJ maybe better think about putting in a good zone defense for the game plan, esp if we get in foul trouble.
Sigh. Remember how fluid the offensive game was when we dominated KU? Boy does that seem like light years ago.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Tired dead legs on shots. Also worn out from contact and beaten up .
Agree. Whether they trust them or not, they may have to live with the mistakes, and get Watson, King, and Ward back out there for 3-4 min. stretches, more often.

PantherCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2017
A 2-22 season and then a sweet 16. TJ has done this with band-aids.

Is poor free throw shooting on coaching?

Our starting guard out for the season.

Above average transfers. Maybe he is coaching great and they have overachieved

Lose your two best players...from last year
I agree, the turnaround is impressive, and that can still be true while noting the lack of adjustments or willingness to try something new.

I would argue that yes, poor free-throw shooting is coaching related. Look at the emphasis BF puts on it in practice, and how his teams perform.

None of our transfers are having years that are
Statistically better than what they have had previously. We don’t seem to be playing to their strengths.

A lot of teams lose their top two players. Not really an excuse.

TJ is stubborn. Not a lot of changes in game. I’ve been to every home game this year (and last year for that matter). There were several opportunities to see how young guys would do in game time situations, but we left our starters in up 20 until there was a minute left. That could have been valuable development time for young guys and rest for the grind we all knew was coming for the starters.

I don’t know how anyone can see the consistent lulls to start the second half and not question coaching a little bit. We scored 7 points in 9+ minutes to start the second half today. On a team that lacks scorers, why not see if a bench guy can light a spark?

A few of other things I’ve noticed - when we are down, we never pick up the pace to get into our offensive sets quickly. With our offensive deficiencies, we need more possessions. Second, we foul late in the clock shot way too often. Third, we seem to be content to just get the ball up the floor against the press rather than breaking it down to get easy shots. There are no consequences for other teams to press. In my arm chair QB opinion, those things are all influenced heavily by coaching.

I am not saying TJ is not a good coach. I think he has gotten a lot out of his guys. I am saying that he has an opportunity to improve in game coaching and his response to other teams’ adjustments.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I think this team overachieved most of the year. Our talent level is not there yet. TJ has not adjusted and tried to get some fast break point which is maddening. If we can pick up a shooter in the transfer portal and possibly a big man. We should be good to go next year.

It's possible. I am starting to believe TJ does a great job of getting teams to peak early and taking advantage of that through about the midpoint of the season.

With that said that doesn't account for the things we are doing to ourselves. The lack of defensive discipline has been problematic for weeks yet the same things keep happening. Guys are over-helping, we get into foul trouble by senselessly bodying, and we are leaving shooters wide open (due to the defensive collapse caused by the first). Those are internal issues, not external, and they haven't been addressed. Our set play calls have been bad to nonexistent out of time outs and at the end of games. Too often substitutions seem pre-determined or dictated by fowls instead of the flow of the game or player effectiveness. Holmes was beyond brutal on the defensive end and probably should have been on the bench (as one example).

At some point you need to be able to pivot and make some sensible adjustments. It's hard isolate any noticeable adjustments, save for the increased implementation of the zone. Even then it's so sporadic and haphazardly run that it rarely effective.

Reactions: PantherCyclone

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
We're tired and banged up. We saw what this team could do after it had a 13 day holiday break and fully rested. Might as well rest some guys and give more playing time and experience to our bench players. We should focus on making a run in March.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I was telling my friend that like last year the combination of defensive intensity demanded combined with lacking offensive play in the toughness conference in the country is that the team is a bit drained by this point in the season.

Next year the offensive side of ball shouldn't be an issue and the team will be more evenly matched regard offense and defense.

In the end just like last year we are playing with house money.

I never dreamed we go from 2-22 to back to back ncaa tournaments in TJ's first 2 years. Just need to have perspective.

PantherCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2017
Both of those are true to me. I guess I am not sure what adjustments we can make on offense. It would rock if Osun had ever learned how to avoid fouling every single game all game long but he didn't do that this season. We played the last 10 minutes of the first half with Rob Jones at the 5 because Osun picked up two dumb fouls, like he does every game.

But since he refused to learn to stay out of foul trouble, we play long stretches with Lipsey and Jones out there. Not sure there are adjustments we can make that overcome that much offensive deficiency. We are often playing 3 on 5 out there.
Shu has averages 2 fouls per game the last 5 games…

NiceMarmot

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, the turnaround is impressive, and that can still be true while noting the lack of adjustments or willingness to try something new.

I would argue that yes, poor free-throw shooting is coaching related. Look at the emphasis BF puts on it in practice, and how his teams perform.

Statistically better than what they have had previously. We don’t seem to be playing to their strengths.

TJ is stubborn. Not a lot of changes in game. I’ve been to every home game this year (and last year for that matter). There were several opportunities to see how young guys would do in game time situations, but we left our starters in up 20 until there was a minute left. That could have been valuable development time for young guys and rest for the grind we all knew was coming for the starters.

I don’t know how anyone can see the consistent lulls to start the second half and not question coaching a little bit. We scored 7 points in 9+ minutes to start the second half today. On a team that lacks scorers, why not see if a bench guy can light a spark?

A few of other things I’ve noticed - when we are down, we never pick up the pace to get into our offensive sets quickly. With our offensive deficiencies, we need more possessions. Second, we foul late in the clock shot way too often. Third, we seem to be content to just get the ball up the floor against the press rather than breaking it down to get easy shots. There are no consequences for other teams to press. In my arm chair QB opinion, those things are all influenced heavily by coaching.

I am not saying TJ is not a good coach. I think he has gotten a lot out of his guys. I am saying that he has an opportunity to improve in game coaching and his response to other teams’ adjustments.
I agree we should play with a bit more pace after forcing turnovers or when breaking pressure, but who is this imaginary bench guy who’s suddenly going to be a scorer? This team is limited offensively; Lou Williams isn’t hiding on the bench.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
He and Lipsey will get pulled at the 17:00 mark no matter what is going on in the game. At times, a momentum killer.

That might be my biggest complaint with game-planning - the auto-subbing, especially the first wave of the game. It could be a reliable strategy in a general sense, on average, but it rarely varies based on performance and game flow.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Tired dead legs on shots. Also worn out from contact and beaten up .
they are missing layups a lot, a sure sign of tired legs. When I listen to TJ, a lot of his sentiment is to work harder. I'm not sure what that means really, could be mental prep for all I know, but if he is having a tired team try to work harder physically, then that is ignoring this teams needs state at this time.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
My only gripe with your middle paragraph is that today, it was Porter Moser who out adjusted and out coached TJ. Cw and Blum are both on record sharing the opinion he is probably not the long term answer for their program. I hate to think a guy who is not Big 12 coaching material had his way with TJ today.
Pretty clear Moser is a good coach based on what he did with Loyola Chicago.

I haven't heard much from CW & BB on Moser, but my take it's more fit vs. the X's & O's. Plus can he recruit 4 & 5 star kids.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Pretty clear Moser is a good coach based on what he did with Loyola Chicago.

I haven't heard much from CW & BB on Moser, but my take it's more fit vs. the X's & O's. Plus can he recruit 4 & 5 star kids.
I think he's without a doubt the worst one in the conference still

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020

You very well could be correct. However, there are so many things we know nothing about: practice, long term strategy, effort, grades, team culture, and so on.

I have chosen to judge him toward the end of next year. See the high school recruits, one-two transfers and starting to build his system.

2-22 was brutal, zero culture, and a total rebuild for the program. I still believe at the 10,000 feet level he is moving forward. There just isn't that much talent to overcome poor shooting and FT %'s.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
This team is going to make the tourney and IMO it doesn’t have a single all conference player. That’s extremely tough to do.

• Agree
Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

NILversusCFL

Dec 1, 2022
For sure Robert should not be pressuring anyone more than 15 feet from the bucket. That is the plan from TJ, but Robert just can't do it.