Game Thoughts: WVU

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
CMC was yelling at Noel after the second kick so it wasn’t the coaches telling him not to field the kicks.
Yeah like if he was getting a big return once every three games, I think most would say the upside is there. But it's zero upside (he rarely gets a decent return ever) and the ones he lets roll break our backs. We should have started at the 22 yd once today and we started at the 3. That cannot happen.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
As uninspiring as the first half offense was, the fourth quarter was excellent.

Had a few bad plays of pass protection vs a 3 man rush, but they definitely turned it on late. Getting the running game going really got the OL on the attack. Great to see.

What else can you say about this defense? 7 points in meaningful minutes. This D is so good.
That first half TD was all on the offense. Should have had a nice half ending drive there.

fnclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2010
CMC was yelling at Noel after the second kick so it wasn’t the coaches telling him not to field the kicks.
Walter's and Heft made it sound like the punts were lost in the sun...I would expect that to be reasonable looking to the south in November. Also a good reason to let it go, if there is no confidence in catching it.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I understand the Noel frustration, and was frustrated myself today... but the second he tries to catch one of those line drive punts in a swirling wind and muffs it, this board would crucify him and tell him just to let it go. It's not an easy job, but I'll always be on the side of letting it go. Losing 10-20 yards of field position is better than losing possession

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Well if he’s unhappy with his play but keeps trotting him out there it’s more of a CMC problem than a Noel problem.

Reactions: hoosman

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Well if he’s unhappy with his play but keeps trotting him out there it’s more of a CMC problem than a Noel problem.
Where I’m frustrated too is that he also had two drops as a receiver. To me he’s on a worse trajectory than where tarique Milton was as a soph, and he’s not even close to deshaunte jones as clonerjams said

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Why is no one talking about how awesome our grass field performed today?

:jimlad: Sort of
Glad you asked. I do wonder how the hybrid thing is working, about 3 weeks into it only, this late in the year.

I'm sure they know what they are doing. 10 year guarantee and all that.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Where I’m frustrated too is that he also had two drops as a receiver. To me he’s on a worse trajectory than where tarique Milton was as a soph, and he’s not even close to deshaunte jones as clonerjams said
Was the first one the near TD pass that he appeared to drop, late in the 1st Qtr., right before the field goal? If so, the replay on that one clearly showed the ball being tipped by the defender. That's why he dropped it and you couldn't tell without looking at the slo-mo replay.

So I'd give him a pass on that one. Don't know about the other.

Last edited:

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Was the first one the near TD pass that he appeared to drop, late in the 1st Qtr., right before the field goal? If so, the replay on that one clearly showed the ball being tipped by the defender. That's why he dropped it and you couldn't tell without looking at the slo-mo replay.

So I'd give him a pss on that one. Don't know about the other.
Yep, probably could have caught it still but the tip made it an extremely tough catch.
I may watch the punts again just to see if my memory is failing or not, but the ones he let go after the first one looked really difficult to handle given the trajectory, wind, and funky movement of the kick.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Fielding punts in Jack Trice has to be tough on a windy day. Losing field position sucks, but I trust Noel is making the decisions he has been told to make. As for the dropped TD pass. Ball was tipped at the line changing the trajectory of the ball. Plus there was a defender that was close to Noel trying to make a play on the ball too. It looked like a classic drop live, but on replay it was clearly a really tough catch to make. Noel is a bright and talented true sophomore, some people need to cut him some slack.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
My thoughts on why we won game:
* Defense is still solid
* 0 turnovers
* Special teams didn't have any critical mistakes
* Running game wasn't terrible
* Officiating wasn't terrible

Offense certainly still has a lot of room for improvement, but I thought this game showed that we can win a lot of games by not "losing them" because of the defense.