General (non-ISU) Wrestling Twitter/News Thread

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I would think Brooks or Hidlay at 197, Keck at 184 would be ahead of Yonger. Then CStar and O'Toole would both still have to lose.

I am actually not in favor or Cstar, Fix, Kertlviet, Haines, even Brooks since they only have about 15 matches. I am more in favor of these guys that are wrestling a full schedule.

My choices right now would probably be Keck and Hidlay. Both have 20+ matches, I think

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I would think Brooks or Hidlay at 197, Keck at 184 would be ahead of Yonger. Then CStar and O'Toole would both still have to lose.

I am actually not in favor or Cstar, Fix, Kertlviet, Haines, even Brooks since they only have about 15 matches. I am more in favor of these guys that are wrestling a full schedule.

My choices right now would probably be Keck and Hidlay. Both have 20+ matches, I think
I get why guys are wrestling fewer and fewer matches but it's just bad for the sport. You have to have your big time guys out there to get people to care.

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
Below is a list of just a few contenders.

Yonger is 20-0 with 70% bonus. 8 techs and 0 pins.

O’Toole is 16-0 with 81.25% bonus. 6 pins, 4 techs.

Brooks is 14-0 with 92.86% bonus. 4 pins, 7 techs.

Keckeisen is 20-0 with 86.96% bonus. 2 pins and 9 techs.
That makes it more apparent to me just how good Keck is. IMO, at the moment, it should be Keck out of that list.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
They changed the criteria from previous years. Pins used to be a major factor, but are not specifically called out anymore. Instead it says “dominance/bonus points percentage.”

They also dropped the “prior year accomplishments” from the criteria.

It will be interesting, but I think Yonger is a long shot.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
I get why guys are wrestling fewer and fewer matches but it's just bad for the sport. You have to have your big time guys out there to get people to care.
I hate it. Big name guys not going to one of the major tournaments and sitting out random duals - both home and away, hurts the sport. Imagine going to a home dual, a matchup has been hype all year - the match of the year.. and a guy doesn’t show up. What a letdown.

Really though, I imagine it’s a letdown for kids that go to an Indiana or Minnesota or Purdue dual and are excited to see Penn State stars for the first time ever and they don’t wrestle. That just doesn’t happen in other sports. It’s a shame

Matt33

Apr 12, 2015
I hate it. Big name guys not going to one of the major tournaments and sitting out random duals - both home and away, hurts the sport. Imagine going to a home dual, a matchup has been hype all year - the match of the year.. and a guy doesn’t show up. What a letdown.

Really though, I imagine it’s a letdown for kids that go to an Indiana or Minnesota or Purdue dual and are excited to see Penn State stars for the first time ever and they don’t wrestle. That just doesn’t happen in other sports. It’s a shame
Yonger is gonna win this ahit

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Thought I had this morning. Would adding a regular season conference title add some incentive to not duck? Obviously wouldn't do anything for non-con but was just a thought.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
They changed the criteria from previous years. Pins used to be a major factor, but are not specifically called out anymore. Instead it says “dominance/bonus points percentage.”

They also dropped the “prior year accomplishments” from the criteria.

It will be interesting, but I think Yonger is a long shot.
Agree. He is a long shot, but should be at least in the conversation (if he wins out this year). And being in the conversation in and of itself, is a huge accomplishment.

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Thought I had this morning. Would adding a regular season conference title add some incentive to not duck? Obviously wouldn't do anything for non-con but was just a thought.
I like the idea.

Ironically enough, a thought I had this morning is considering to not schedule Mizzou next year. I don’t believe every big xii school wrestles everyone in conference/affiliates, but I might be mistaken?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I like the idea.

Ironically enough, a thought I had this morning is considering to not schedule Mizzou next year. I don’t believe every big xii school wrestles everyone in conference/affiliates, but I might be mistaken?

The Big 12 sets the conference schedule. And since wrestling has a limited number of dates, teams only get 7-9 conference duals per year.

iastatefan1

Jan 24, 2016
Adding regular season conference title would be nice. Another unorthodox thought I had was to seed the conference tournament based on only conference dual results for the weight rather than the wrestler. It would really jack up seeding, but could make conference duals more competitive.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I like the idea.

The Big 12 sets the conference schedule. And since wrestling has a limited number of dates, teams only get 7-9 conference duals per year.
I did consider that and figured it would make it a very long shot to happen as there are just too many teams.
No one would care about a conference dual title.
I figured they wouldn't but wrestling has to figure something out to avoid these types of situations. There have been some improvements in terms of visibility but there is a lot of room for improvement. As coach mentioned and @jcordova8 said on the podcast you marketed this dual and built it up and although those of us that went still had fun it obviously is a blue balls situation.

As has been discussed elsewhere on CF there is a potential court ruling coming that may be the beginning of the end of non-revenue sports. This is not the time for wrestling to accept it is what it is and live in their own bubble.

Reactions: jcordova8