Give Chizik credit for standing up...

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
My opinion... head coaching changes (generally) hurt programs --> causes turnover and restarting from scratch. Regular changes in the other coaching positions (generally) help --> brings in new recruits. You bring in coaches who have ties to younger players... but those ties seem to get lost as the years go on. You almost need to keep bringing in young new assistant coaches who grew up with ties to great young players.

Obviously there are advantages and disadvantages... but these are what I think carry the most weight.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
There is NOTHING tougher in business then firing or reassigning a friend. In Chizik's case, he had to do make changes to two of his closest friends. This is not the easy road. It's a lot easier to ride along and hope things change. I really give him credit. He had to basically admit he made a mistake and secondly, remove two guys he's coached with for years. I give him credit, this is tough stuff for the good of the program.
That's why you don't give jobs to friends, but to qualified individuals.

bufante

Nov 27, 2006
DMI
Not saying it is not tough but when you are making $1 million + and your job is on the line, it is a little easier than you would think.

It's all about the Benjis

Business is business. I think Chizik is trying to do the best job he can and he now realizes he needs some different perspectives to do that. I applaud his ability to recognize it, but I don't think its tough when your career is involved. Its his job and I hope he keeps it up.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
But I have noticed that you seem to be fairly negative towards everything that has gone on in the football program in the last few months and that attitude is going to get us nowhere.

We hired Gene Chizik to get us to the next level. So far he has gone 5-19 overall, 2-16 in the conference, he's lost to UNLV, Toledo, and UNI, he was without a clue when the guy he called "his best athlete" quit the team, he gutted his coaching staff after just 2 years right in the middle of prime recruiting season, and he's working on a 10 game losing streak.

Given all of that, you're surprised that there are negative posts? Are you serious??? Gene may turn things around but the first two years of the Chizik era have been a train wreck. Maybe you like to put on blinders and drink kool-aid, but after sitting through every game this year there isn't any kool-aid strong enough to cover up the reality of where the program is.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
Monty could also be a Hawk fan, he post on scout sites and HN under Dr. Hibbard so who really knows what team he supports, my guess is neither and just likes to get people riled up.

Wow, you're dumber than I thought, and I thought you were dumb to begin with. Dr. Hibbard is my boss. I'll have to show him this post, he'll get a kick out of how dumb you are, too.