Great read on WVU win

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Really enjoyed the read. Can we try “There’s a new sheriff in town”, or do we have to wait for Texas for that one?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
After we beat Tech and Texas this team will be ready for anybody. I think that West Virginia game was us finally clicking, and we still made many mistakes. If we had played more cleanly that score would have been 49-7. Fun to see Campbell's vision exemplified with Purdy running the show. I loved Kyle and Zeb, but Purdy is the real deal.

Nice complementary article. We deserved it.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
CMC and PFP.

Careful reading this article or you will be walking around with extra wood for a week.
giphy.gif

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
On the TD throw to Butler, I just noticed that we got away with something -- Knipfel (#66) is in the endzone when the pass is thrown from the 4 yard line. Should have been ineligible man downfield. I'm sure the staff with point that out / clean it up this week.

(It's the 3rd GIF in the article)
If you watch for this, you will see it multiple times in a college game with the proliferation of RPO offenses. Kniple was barely past the 3 yard limit at the time of the pass. He was engaging defenders for most of the play and his actions did not fool the defense or violate the spirit of the rule. He would have had to be down field either earlier or farther to draw a flag in college.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
“fake purdy”?

That’s a new one.

Edit: Oh—pump fake purdy. That makes more sense!

That’d be “middle school” pump fake Purdy, according to Holgerson. Which would be above his aptitude, given his penchant for juvenile temper tantrums.

Re-watched the game tonight. Lots of penalties and we left plenty of points on the field. But, we still won. Clean those up, and we could be pretty dominant the rest of the season.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Cyfan4good

Jul 7, 2009
Ankeny
For a fan who didn't play football I love articles like this that help me understand why and how we're seeing success. It gives me more proof than hope that our success can be sustained. Thanks for posting this.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
If you watch for this, you will see it multiple times in a college game with the proliferation of RPO offenses. Kniple was barely past the 3 yard limit at the time of the pass. He was engaging defenders for most of the play and his actions did not fool the defense or violate the spirit of the rule. He would have had to be down field either earlier or farther to draw a flag in college.

The "old" Cyclone fan in me can't help but think, "sure, they 'generally' don't call that, but because we're ISU, we will get flagged for it on some crucial play before the season ends . . ." :oops:

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I'd almost prefer teams continue believing "ISU sux." It's gonna get harder to punch teams in the mouth with the element of surprise if they start taking preparation for the Cyclones more seriously.

• Winner
Reactions: skibumspe

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
It didn't have an impact on that play, but had he thrown it to a TE behind the LBs, I think there's a case that it influences the play. They are trying to get strict about that limit. Coaches with teams that don't use RPO have been lobbying hard to tighten up linemen downfield.

I love the Sportstreatise Article Cyclonetrombone posted, as it hits on two misconceptions that bug me (and I always complain about on here).
First - the comparison of players with WVU. This constant talk about how every team not named KU has a big talent advantage over ISU, so ISU is going to shorten the game and limit mistakes. WVU, along with TCU, is probably at the top of the next tier below UT and OU in the conference, yet from a recruiting rating and measurable standpoint, ISUs D was very comparable.

Second, the idea that ISU is running some gimmick defense that people are going to "figure out" and start beating is really uninformed. Or that if you run a three man front as Tommy Tuberville thinks, you just keep running the ball until the defense gets out of it. OSU ran the same type of defense in the early Air Raid days, and WVU has played a very similar style for quite some time. The difference was these teams were simply using it try to get more speed on the field. First, you don't have the right guys on the DL, you are going to get pushed around. You have to a man on the inside. You also can't simply take pin your ears back 4-3 edge guys, throw them out there as DEs in a 3 man front and think they're going to succeed. Guys can certainly do both, but the approach is very different.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored