Harbor Freight

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Rating Harbor Freight as comparable in quality to Craftsman…..I’ll be courteous and not pile on. BTW, I assume their tools are made in Cambodia or a similar spot in the globe. Any info on where they source their inventory or the history of the company?
Craftsman today and not 20 years ago would be a very good comparison. Probably insulting HF some, todays craftsman is low grade stuff.

• Agree
Reactions: Agclone91 and JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Craftsman today and not 20 years ago would be a very good comparison. Probably insulting HF some, todays craftsman is low grade stuff.
Craftsman today can probably be compared to Husky.

Most stuff I would have bought from Craftsman if it was still the same quality I know buy from Gearwrench, Klein, or Milwaukee.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Ace Hardware is a block from where I live and Harbor Freight basically another block. What to do. Ace does have caramel corn on Friday. Ace is just too darn convenient for me.
What? How did I not know that? Probably because I'm rarely there on a Friday.

Reactions: cycloner29

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
I still won't buy anything I rely on to keep me alive from Harbor Freight. Jack stands, jacks, etc. But overall they have been improving in quality. 10 years ago if I needed a power tool for a one time job I'd buy two at Harbor Freight. Expected the first one to break and I'd have a spare to continue working. If the first one didn't break, I'd return the second one next time I went. I also buy hand tools from Harbor Freight. They are economical. If I use one enough to wear it out, then I will replace it with a better brand, because I know I will use it. If I don't use it enough to wear it out, then I never needed the more expensive better one anyway.

My favorite Harbor Freight purchase was a big cowbell that I sent to my 4 year old nephew as a Christmas gift. I woke up on Christmas morning that year to a text from my brother that said, "Next time I see you, that cowbell is going straight up your ass"

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I still won't buy anything I rely on to keep me alive from Harbor Freight. Jack stands, jacks, etc. But overall they have been improving in quality. 10 years ago if I needed a power tool for a one time job I'd buy two at Harbor Freight. Expected the first one to break and I'd have a spare to continue working. If the first one didn't break, I'd return the second one next time I went. I also buy hand tools from Harbor Freight. They are economical. If I use one enough to wear it out, then I will replace it with a better brand, because I know I will use it. If I don't use it enough to wear it out, then I never needed the more expensive better one anyway.

My favorite Harbor Freight purchase was a big cowbell that I sent to my 4 year old nephew as a Christmas gift. I woke up on Christmas morning that year to a text from my brother that said, "Next time I see you, that cowbell is going straight up your ass"
Have you not seen your brother lately or does you rear clang when you walk?

0u812

Jan 14, 2012
Harbor Freight tools are typically ok. They are filling the need that Sears/Craftsman left some years ago. The Taiwan made tools are on par with Gearwrench, Husky, Neiko, etc you will find many places.

I have had good luck especially in recent years with the HF tools I have purchased. I am a bit of a tool snob, with only Snap On toolboxes and about 25 cordless Milwaukee M12 and M18 tools in my garage. But, Harbor Freight (Pittsburg, Icon etc) have a place in my garage as well. Anyone saying they are disposable havent used the tools I have, or are just like the people hating Nickelback (bandwagon haters). Anyone saying you are poor if you shop there also probably doesnt work on a damn thing at their house.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Looked at an auction Wednesday, a set of Matco tool boxes went for just shy of 3k after buyer premiums. These were very faded and used. Brand new at HF would have cost that and been new. Sometimes people get hung up on names. Honestly I don’t like the feel of snap on ratchets and other tools so I’ve never bought them.

Cordless tools I was always commercial grade Hitachi (they would smoke any other brand out there) but they became like craftsman and they went cheap. They renamed their good stuff Metabo and then went cheap on them. So after one pickup getting stolen with all my good stuff in it, I’m stuck with DeWalt which is okay but not the quality I was used to.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Looked at an auction Wednesday, a set of Matco tool boxes went for just shy of 3k after buyer premiums. These were very faded and used. Brand new at HF would have cost that and been new. Sometimes people get hung up on names. Honestly I don’t like the feel of snap on ratchets and other tools so I’ve never bought them.

Cordless tools I was always commercial grade Hitachi (they would smoke any other brand out there) but they became like craftsman and they went cheap. They renamed their good stuff Metabo and then went cheap on them. So after one pickup getting stolen with all my good stuff in it, I’m stuck with DeWalt which is okay but not the quality I was used to.
If you want a name brand toolbox just keep an eye out on Facebook marketplace. You can get brand new for pennies on the dollar. Not hard to find a 54" Snap On Rollcab for less than $2k if you're not picky about color and not in a big hurry.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If you want a name brand toolbox just keep an eye out on Facebook marketplace. You can get brand new for pennies on the dollar. Not hard to find a 54" Snap On Rollcab for less than $2k if you're not picky about color and not in a big hurry.
By biggest problem is I won’t get on Facebook. Never had an account.

• Haha
Reactions: 0u812