Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Never quit strength/resistance training. Modify to suit your age. Of course, if you are injured, take a break.

Have done that quite a bit in the last five years or so. Bit easier to "shop around" and look for different exercises and machines since the LifeTime I go to has a vast array. At 70-something I've dropped bench press and militaries because of the tears in my rotator cuffs (and a bit of arthritis) . Plenty of dumbbell exercises and chest machines with grips that are more rotator cuff friendly. Also the prescribed rehab exercise for the shoulder are something I do three times a week and they keep the shoulders mostly under control (ie: sore/achy but not painful). I don't lift that light for my age and size (155 LB) but don't really care about the "weight" numbers, just the number of reps I can do with good form.

Reactions: Cydkar

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Have done that quite a bit in the last five years or so. Bit easier to "shop around" and look for different exercises and machines since the LifeTime I go to has a vast array. At 70-something I've dropped bench press and militaries because of the tears in my rotator cuffs (and a bit of arthritis) . Plenty of dumbbell exercises and chest machines with grips that are more rotator cuff friendly. Also the prescribed rehab exercise for the shoulder are something I do three times a week and they keep the shoulders mostly under control (ie: sore/achy but not painful). I don't lift that light for my age and size (155 LB) but don't really care about the "weight" numbers, just the number of reps I can do with good form.

What's 70-something feel like?

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
I'm just getting back to CF from being off during Lent. I didn't do very well nutrition-wise on Easter but trying to get back into things after overeating and having some candy. I've really tried to cut down on sugar, but allowed myself a cheat day and also over-ate at a family gathering. It will be hard not eat any more candy with all of the leftover Easter candy in the house. We might have to hide it a bit for my sake.

I'm down about 50lbs since September and only have about 10 pounds left to reach my goal body weight. I'm trying to balance being happy where I'm at and not pushing things while understanding that those last 10 pounds can be the hardest to lose and not letting up too much. I need to focus a little more on building muscle as I've lost a bit while trying to lose fat. I've been doing some strength training regularly and feel stronger, but my recent body comp DEXA scan showed I lost about three pounds of muscle in addition to the fat I've lost. Thus, my reduction in body fat % wasn't as big as I'd hoped (only 1.2% drop).

Regarding strength training, I use PowerBlock dumbbells and use HasFit videos on Youtube, I'm getting closer to reaching the upper limit on my weights during certain exercises (bent over rows, chest presses). My version of PowerBlocks aren't expandable like other versions. Should I invest in some other strength training equipment or consider a more formal program to improve my strength? I have three young kids so getting to the gym is a little too challenging schedule-wise.

I have invested in dumbbells for my home gym setup and have been glad I did. I try to search on Marketplace or secondhand, but sometimes I just have to wait for a deal and buy new. I don't have a large collection yet, but will likely keep expanding. Like you, getting to the gym is not really an option for me at the moment.

Reactions: ScottyP

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Don’t stop lifting just change how your lifting. If an exercise hurts don’t do it. Don’t follow a specific program set by someone else because that is how you’re going to get hurt. If squats hurt don’t do them.

If you have lingering injury issues go see ortho. They will tell you your options and what you should be avoiding.

Yoga is extremely important as you age to maintain the flexibility to help with those joints, back, and also for balance.

You also probably need to change the frequency that your lifting and incorporating other activities in days off. If time is tight grab some things that you can do at home to maximize your time.

I hit the jackpot with that. Got a University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine grad who is one of the Viking team doctors and a physical therapist who also had worked with pitchers with torn rotators. Bonus was therapist was an avid biker and had me bring in my bike and he set me up better on that also....could tell the difference on the first ride....way better than the bike shop guys had done.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I have invested in dumbbells for my home gym setup and have been glad I did. I try to search on Marketplace or secondhand, but sometimes I just have to wait for a deal and buy new. I don't have a large collection yet, but will likely keep expanding. Like you, getting to the gym is not really an option for me at the moment.

I've been slowly building out the home gym

Added some cool stuff. Started hunting for more equipment like a Smith Machine or a Hack Squat rack. Maybe a functional trainer that handles more weight than my current machine.

But I'll say the best results I've gotten recently was with straight dumbbells and a dead man's weight bench.

Consistency and effort. With that even dumbbells can get a person in shape.

The cost of entry is low! Grab some weights! Lift at home so you can stink and lift in your underwear!

Reactions: MJ29

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
What's 70-something feel like?

For me, like 50-something most of the time. I am blessed to not have knee or hip issues. My knees do not like running so gave that up but are fine with a 30-35 mile bike ride or all-afternoon walkabouts. Since I was 30-something I've run, biked and done weight training so never got out of shape which certainly helped. I could stroke out or heart attack tomorrow but don't have any underlying heart and lung issues, part to keeping in good shape and part good fortune.

Reactions: MJ29 and madguy30

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
I've been slowly building out the home gym

Added some cool stuff. Started hunting for more equipment like a Smith Machine or a Hack Squat rack. Maybe a functional trainer that handles more weight than my current machine.

But I'll say the best results I've gotten recently was with straight dumbbells and a dead man's weight bench.

Consistency and effort. With that even dumbbells can get a person in shape.

The cost of entry is low! Grab some weights! Lift at home so you can stink and lift in your underwear!
Agreed. Being able to go downstairs and workout removes the barrier of driving to a gym. Just getting started is the key, whether starting a new routine or just getting motivated for the day.

Reactions: MJ29

TBT

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 27, 2014
WDM, IA
Didn't lose much weight (3-5 lbs), but did reduce my total cholesterol from 246 to 211. Happy about that more than the weight loss.
Following up back on this from 10 months ago. Got a new Lipid test and cholesterol is back up to 255. Definitely been slacking on food choices and fiber so have to get back on that again. Annoying how quickly it can raise but nothing wrong with a kick in the butt to get back on the train again.

Mar 21, 2021
...my recent body comp DEXA scan showed I lost about three pounds of muscle in addition to the fat I've lost. Thus, my reduction in body fat % wasn't as big as I'd hoped (only 1.2% drop)....
I've thought about getting a DEXA scan. A doc in Mpls. - Sean O'Mara - specializes in that. Just curious - did your scan show any loss of 'visceral fat', the particularly bad/unhealthy fat that builds up around the organs?

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Agreed. Being able to go downstairs and workout removes the barrier of driving to a gym. Just getting started is the key, whether starting a new routine or just getting motivated for the day.

And I wonder sometimes why my performance can be better even when I feel like ass.

This weekend was an example. Weight training was a goddam chore going into it. Multiple nights of little sleep with the kids

But I put up more weight.

The hardest part is just hitting the play button. Some days it's really hard hitting that button.

Last edited:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Any suggestions on mending a pulled hamstring? I have a foam roller that saved me from a flare up of hip bursitis but not sure if that would help or where exactly to use it. Not sure if some kind of wrap would help blood flow to area.

Dog is still recovering from surgery and has to be on a short leash with a person attached when outside. That person is usually me, and I only outweigh the dog by about 25 pounds. He’s recovered enough to be stronger than me again. Injured hamstring trying to keep him from chasing a stray mangy cat.

Some of my usual yoga hurts too much to do.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I've thought about getting a DEXA scan. A doc in Mpls. - Sean O'Mara - specializes in that. Just curious - did your scan show any loss of 'visceral fat', the particularly bad/unhealthy fat that builds up around the organs?
My visceral fat mass went down about 86 grams. My visceral fat area went down about 18 cm2.

I dropped about 4 pounds of fat mass, but also dropped 3.5 pounds of lean mass so I lost some muscle too.

Reactions: 2122 and MJ29

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Any suggestions on mending a pulled hamstring? I have a foam roller that saved me from a flare up of hip bursitis but not sure if that would help or where exactly to use it. Not sure if some kind of wrap would help blood flow to area.

Dog is still recovering from surgery and has to be on a short leash with a person attached when outside. That person is usually me, and I only outweigh the dog by about 25 pounds. He’s recovered enough to be stronger than me again. Injured hamstring trying to keep him from chasing a stray mangy cat.

Some of my usual yoga hurts too much to do.

Do you do anything to strengthen the glutes? I was struggling with my hamstring and long story short the nagging issue was sciatica.

I wasn't doing enough for the glutes.

More frequent clams/side steps with resistance bands cleared it up.

It might help the hips too.

Now my calves/lower legs are giving me fits as they have to readjust after many months of overcompensating for bad hamstrings!

Reactions: carvers4math

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
They always say during lent, you need to give up something. I'm trying to give up 10 lbs. It's a stretch for 40 days but I will see how it goes. Already got 50 miles of bike in alread this week in the cool weather and not eating between meals, easy on sugar and alcohol.
How did you do?

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
My visceral fat mass went down about 86 grams. My visceral fat area went down about 18 cm2.

I dropped about 4 pounds of fat mass, but also dropped 3.5 pounds of lean mass so I lost some muscle too.
How’s your protein consumption? Losing a 1:1 ratio (or close to it) is frustrating

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Do you do anything to strengthen the glutes? I was struggling with my hamstring and long story short the nagging issue was sciatica.

I wasn't doing enough for the glutes.

More frequent clams/side steps with resistance bands cleared it up.

It might help the hips too.

Now my calves/lower legs are giving me fits as they have to readjust after many months of overcompensating for bad hamstrings!
Might try to go back to more with the resistance bands, that is a good idea.

I looked at the yoga poses that are supposed to help glutes and was already doing them. Some of them like Warrior 3 and even Downward Dogs just hurt too much on that hamstring right now. But might have better luck with bands.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Might try to go back to more with the resistance bands, that is a good idea.

I looked at the yoga poses that are supposed to help glutes and was already doing them. Some of them like Warrior 3 and even Downward Dogs just hurt too much on that hamstring right now. But might have better luck with bands.

The advantage of clams/bands that I've found is that I'm not putting any weight on the legs and can just work the glutes on their own.

I do one minute each side about every day and the support I feel on my lower back and hips is much improved.

Reactions: carvers4math