Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I know the female population on this site is pretty small but wanted to mention a trend we are starting to see with regards to the GLP-1 inhibitors that are exploding in popularity right now. There is increasing evidence that these drugs are effecting the absorption and efficacy of many oral contraceptives. Had a 51 year old woman come into the ED yesterday with a wide variety of symptoms who turned out to be pregnant. They are also having a dramatic increase in fertility rates for people the suffer from PCOS.

Again most likely not the population that cares on here but with how wide spread these drugs are going to become it’s a good thing to know.

Do you think they'll start using these drugs to help people with PCOS get pregnant? That could be a huge thing.

• Agree
Reactions: ScottyP

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Do you think they'll start using these drugs to help people with PCOS get pregnant? That could be a huge thing.
They aren’t approved for that yet but I could see it. Usually you start with metformin for PCOS/pregnancy but that doesn’t work for everyone.

Honestly with the insane number of positive results the GLP-1 drugs have produced on a wide variety of issues your going to see them being approved for a ton of things.

I personally think it’s possible that we look back at this time as the beginning of a new era.

• Haha
Reactions: mynameisjonas

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I personally think it’s possible that we look back at this time as the beginning of a new era.
Economist had a big article a few weeks ago and mentioned that. "Will Obesity Drugs Eat the World?" Check it out really interesting.

Mentions ongoing investigations into seen improvements around heart and kidbey disease, fatty liver, reduced cravings may help w other addictions, reduced inflammation in the brain may help w parkinsons and alzheimers. It was crazy. And its not all a secondary consequence of the weight loss. Reminder of how much we have yet to learn abt how hormones, the body and brain, etc all work together.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Two of my favorite fitness/nutrition follows on Instagram are:

Jordan Syatt -- breaks down some of the BS out there in fitness culture and provides good tips and reminders

Zach Coen -- registered dietician who provides real nutrition insight. I actually pay for his Patreon ($5/month) so I can have access to his weekly recipes, all of which are within the diabetic standards AND are delicious.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Seems like this is the thread for this. Italian study suggests that way more middle aged people are obese than previously thought.
BBC BMI Article

Knowing that BMI is a pretty blunt tool, they look at BMI obesity levels vs actual based on body fat %. What's interesting is they find body fat %s indicate a much higher amount of obese people than BMI suggests, based on actual body fat % (where they set the threshhold at 40% for women and 28% for men).
Just 38% of the men and 41% of the women had a BMI above 30 - but when their body fat percentage was calculated using scans, 71% and 64% were found to be obese.
So they recommend that the BMI start going to 27 for obese instead of 30.

But that would make me obese at 6'1" and 215 lbs, even though my body fat is around 24%. My takeaway is that BMI, though simple, is just about worthless.

Why they don't just use waist circumference, which is even easier to use than BMI, is beyond me.

Reactions: Letterkenny

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Lots of people have been able to lose weight, but it is not easy and it is rare for them to keep the weight off. There are many factors not working in their favor. These GLP-1s are not the "answer", but they can help some people who have struggled with their weight their whole lives.

From a nutrition standpoint, I'm still amazed at how little education there is on proper nutrition. Even medical professionals don't have a lot of education in nutrition. Fat loss does usually come down to having a calorie deficit, but most people don't understand how to eat right.

Preparing a healthy meal can taste good and doesn't have to be difficult. There is this mentality out there that a healthy meal is very expensive and difficult to prepare and takes lots of ingredients. Part of me thinks that way of thinking is just a way for food companies to push people towards processed foods.

The past few months, I've learned that my healthy eating has simplified my cooking. I also found that my grocery bill has gone down since I've started to eat healthier. If you need any healthy meal suggestions, feel free to message me and I can provide many that I prepare and like. I also have young kids and I make sure to not let their picky eating deter me from having a healthy meal.

Bolded absolutely nails it. Iirc you have a busy life and are still able to hone in on this kind of thing. No, it doesn't work for everyone and it's harder for a whole family etc., but there are things that can be done and one step is to cut out the noise from media/ads etc. And I wish it was pushed heavily alongside the weight loss drugs.

Can you give an estimate of how long it takes for you to cook your meals including prep time?

I can do the chicken tenders/veggie meal in about 15 minutes total.

That is less time than it would take to drive to most restaurants or fast food places, or order delivery.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Seems like this is the thread for this. Italian study suggests that way more middle aged people are obese than previously thought.
BBC BMI Article

Knowing that BMI is a pretty blunt tool, they look at BMI obesity levels vs actual based on body fat %. What's interesting is they find body fat %s indicate a much higher amount of obese people than BMI suggests, based on actual body fat % (where they set the threshhold at 40% for women and 28% for men).
Just 38% of the men and 41% of the women had a BMI above 30 - but when their body fat percentage was calculated using scans, 71% and 64% were found to be obese.

But that would make me obese at 6'1" and 215 lbs, even though my body fat is around 24%. My takeaway is that BMI, though simple, is just about worthless.

Why they don't just use waist circumference, which is even easier to use than BMI, is beyond me.

Bolded: somewhere in there I'd guess BMI is something that has a profit to be made and decreasing the waist size doesn't.

It's like the fallacy that eating healthy requires a run to the store for 30 ingredients because of what was seen on someone's blog or Good Morning America that pushed those 'necessary' products.

Reactions: Letterkenny

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
BBC BMI Article

BMI is probably fine for most people though, 24% body fat is probably on the high side of normal/healthy (no shade, I don't know my body fat % but I'm probably there too).

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Two of my favorite fitness/nutrition follows on Instagram are:

Jordan Syatt -- breaks down some of the BS out there in fitness culture and provides good tips and reminders

Zach Coen -- registered dietician who provides real nutrition insight. I actually pay for his Patreon ($5/month) so I can have access to his weekly recipes, all of which are within the diabetic standards AND are delicious.
The influencer world has spent quite a lot of energy demonizing affordable food, certain food additives, certain sweeteners, food colorings (i.e. US food colorings are PURE evil and Europe food colorings are sent from heavens, making M&M's in Europe a healthy snack compared to its fat cancer laced US counterpart :rolleyes:).

Jordan and Zach are 2 of my follows as well! Really appreciate the simple recipes and has definitely helped me not only lose weight but think about weight loss and eating and meal prep differently.

Reactions: MJ29

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Bolded absolutely nails it. Iirc you have a busy life and are still able to hone in on this kind of thing. No, it doesn't work for everyone and it's harder for a whole family etc., but there are things that can be done and one step is to cut out the noise from media/ads etc. And I wish it was pushed heavily alongside the weight loss drugs.

Can you give an estimate of how long it takes for you to cook your meals including prep time?
s
I can do the chicken tenders/veggie meal in about 15 minutes total.

That is less time than it would take to drive to most restaurants or fast food places, or order delivery.
Most meals I can have prepared in 20 minutes or less and almost all of them in less than 30 minutes.

I've learned that when I eat healthier, my meals use far less ingredients which is what saves me money on groceries. Some of the meals I used to make had 10 plus ingredients.

Example of a typical meal:
Pork chop (try to have at least 8oz to hit protein goals) - skillet, oven or grill

Vegetable - brussels sprouts, bell peppers, broccoli, green beans, etc. - roasted in the oven or grill or cooked in a pan/skillet if frozen.

Olive oil - for roasting veggies

Salad and healthy dressing (usually a blend of wine vinegar, olive oil and dijon mustard) - the mustard acts as a good emulisifier and I make that up in a jar/bottle

Healthy fat or carb - usually a baked sweet potato in the microwave, carb balance tortilla (good source of fiber) (cut up meat into strips and make a wrap), cottage cheese, black beans

Seasoning - usually a blend of Salt, pepper and garlic (I like Kinder's The Blend)

Last edited:

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Bolded: somewhere in there I'd guess BMI is something that has a profit to be made and decreasing the waist size doesn't.

It's like the fallacy that eating healthy requires a run to the store for 30 ingredients because of what was seen on someone's blog or Good Morning America that pushed those 'necessary' products.
I think it's more to do with the fact that height and weight data is readily available and it's an easy way to quickly categorize a large number of people. The study didn't say that BMI shouldn't be used, just that the traditional cutoff should be adjusted to 27 to more accurately reflect what is obese. It's just a misunderstanding of what BMI is and what it is good for. An individual should not use BMI to measure their own individual goals because you have much better ways to measure that. A researcher looking for population trends using large amounts of data that is readily available could use BMI to look at health trends.

• Informative
Reactions: CascadeClone

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
The influencer world has spent quite a lot of energy demonizing affordable food, certain food additives, certain sweeteners, food colorings (i.e. US food colorings are PURE evil and Europe food colorings are sent from heavens, making M&M's in Europe a healthy snack compared to its fat cancer laced US counterpart :rolleyes:).

Jordan and Zach are 2 of my follows as well! Really appreciate the simple recipes and has definitely helped me not only lose weight but think about weight loss and eating and meal prep differently.

I have a much better relationship with food since following Zach.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA

A lot of influencers really focus on what not to eat. They tend to gloss over what you should actually be eating.

Jordan does a really good job of simplifying things and making sure you don't beat yourself up too much mentally.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I took the advice of listening to Zach Coen and he brought up some tips that I have found to be helpful.

Spinach - chopping it up and putting it in things like pasta sauce and eggs. With eggs, I will heat up the skillet, add a buch of chopped spinach and heat up with some salt,pepper,garlic. Then I will add the eggs and cook. It seems like the garlic really tones down the planty taste on vegetables. WIth pasta, I will spiralize some zucchini as well and you can put in a lot of chopped spinach with the sauce and not notice much of a taste difference.

Parmesean cheese - I like to add a little bit of grated parmesean cheese to my roasted and grilled veggies. Even a small amount really provides good flavor. Zach mentioned that an air fryer works really good for roasting veggies.

Riced Cauliflower - works as a good substitute for stir fry veggies or use to make a burrito bowl. Rice itself doesn't have a lot of flavor anyways and you get most of the flavor from other ingredients. Adding salsa or hot sauce to a burrito bowl and you don't even notice the rice cauliflower (more filler than anything). Similar thing goes with stiry fry if you add a little low-sodium soy sauce.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
I took the advice of listening to Zach Coen and he brought up some tips that I have found to be helpful.

Spinach - chopping it up and putting it in things like pasta sauce and eggs. With eggs, I will heat up the skillet, add a buch of chopped spinach and heat up with some salt,pepper,garlic. Then I will add the eggs and cook. It seems like the garlic really tones down the planty taste on vegetables. WIth pasta, I will spiralize some zucchini as well and you can put in a lot of chopped spinach with the sauce and not notice much of a taste difference.

Parmesean cheese - I like to add a little bit of grated parmesean cheese to my roasted and grilled veggies. Even a small amount really provides good flavor. Zach mentioned that an air fryer works really good for roasting veggies.

Riced Cauliflower - works as a good substitute for stir fry veggies or use to make a burrito bowl. Rice itself doesn't have a lot of flavor anyways and you get most of the flavor from other ingredients. Adding salsa or hot sauce to a burrito bowl and you don't even notice the rice cauliflower (more filler than anything). Similar thing goes with stiry fry if you add a little low-sodium soy sauce.

I just love Zach. Below are the names of my favorite recipes of his (which we've made multiple times each):

Baked french toast with maple sausage
Cheddar bay biscuit chicken pot pie
Sausage gravy and biscuits bake
Sausage and pepperoni pizza pasta
Chili cheese frito pie
Cheesburger pasta

I also utilize a lot of his overnight oats creations (but usually omit the greek yogurt).

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
A lot of influencers really focus on what not to eat. They tend to gloss over what you should actually be eating.

Jordan does a really good job of simplifying things and making sure you don't beat yourself up too much mentally.
It does seem like 90% of what gets talked about is "Don't do this".

But I find if I have healthy things around and actually plan to eat those, it keeps my snacking on the "don't do this" stuff to a minimum. I sort of forget to want chips, if I know I "have" to eat some fruit or nuts or whatever thru the day.

• Agree
Reactions: ScottyP and MJ29

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
It does seem like 90% of what gets talked about is "Don't do this".

But I find if I have healthy things around and actually plan to eat those, it keeps my snacking on the "don't do this" stuff to a minimum. I sort of forget to want chips, if I know I "have" to eat some fruit or nuts or whatever thru the day.
really focusing on protein has helped me with this. I try to eat my ideal body weight in protein, which is almost 150 grams per day. That is not easy so when it comes to a snack, I always try to focus on things like greek yogurt or cottage cheese for snacks. Same thing with water and fiber.

Help Support Us

Become a patron