Herbstreet loves Hawkeyes

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
This guy is a moron. The article is interesting, but certainly interesting observations. Take a look.

The Loop: ESPN's Herbstreit expects Iowa to contend for January bowls

December 16, 2007

Think the Iowa football program will continue spiraling southward?

ESPN college football analyst Kirk Herbstreit doesn't.

"I believe Iowa can be a perennial power in the Big Ten as long as Kirk Ferentz is the coach because you're always going to recruit a certain type of individual to go to Iowa," Herbstreit said last week during an interview about his involvement with the Liberty Mutual coach of the year award.

"You're not going to have a roster full of five-star recruits. There's a certain guy who fits into the Iowa program. He falls in love with the campus, he loves the small-town feel, he loves the facilities, he loves Kirk Ferentz, he loves the staff, he loves the blue-collar work ethic, he loves the weight room, whatever it is - maybe it's all of those things.

"They are, to me, a great collection of players determined to prove doubters wrong."

Doubt has seeped in after consecutive 6-6 regular seasons replete with injuries and off-the-field troubles.

"Their margin for error is much smaller than other programs who draw those four- and five-star recruits, so when they sustain injuries the way they have the last couple years, there's a substantial drop-off from the starters to the next-level player," Herbstreit said.

"There's no doubt in my mind Kirk Ferentz will have Iowa back up and competing for Jan. 1 bowl games and doing a lot of good things. He's one of the good guys in the business, he's one of my favorite people in the business, and there's no doubt he'll continue to put Iowa up at a level where they're going to be competing for Big Ten championships." — Rob Gray

Not everyone in the national media was so kind to the Hawkeyes. Rivals.com claimed Iowa authored one of the "biggest collapses" of this season. The Web site said: "Iowa started 3-5, then won three in a row, and all the Hawkeyes had to do to clinch a bowl bid was beat a 3-7 Western Michigan team in Iowa City. Final: Western Michigan 28-19. No bowl for the Hawkeyes.

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
Must have been a misprint. It should have been the following:

The Loop: ESPN's Herbstreit expects Iowa to pretend for January bowls

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Herbie is one of the few people associated with ESPN that isn't a complete idiot. His only fault (granted a large one) is that he is a major Little 11 homer.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
what certain TYPE of individual is he talking about?!?!? the type that can't stay on the field, the type with off the field issues? sorry I went there but seriously, that "certain guy" comment sounds as dumb and cliche as ever, but exactly what you'd expect from herb.

I lost all hope I had in him of being a good analyst/journalist with that whole Les Miles bs like wisco said.

Jables22

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2007
Another splendid rag article. In what context was Herbie saying these things? It sounds like someone was asking him specifically about EIU and he's just pandering to the reporter and/or fanbase.

Reporter from (fill in team)'s local newspaper: Hey Herbie what do you think of (fill in team)'s chances going forward?

Herbie: I think (fill in team) will really bounce back next year. (fill in team)'s coach just has to recruit his type of players. Once that happens they will be back in January bowls.

Reporter from (fill in team)'s local newspaper: Wow, what a great football mind. Looks like sunshine and lollypops once again! Time to ratchet up those ridiculous expectations!

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
It sounds like someone was asking him specifically about EIU and he's just pandering to the reporter and/or fanbase.

Exactly. I can't believe he really believes what he's saying after ESPN was so ga-ga with EIU at the beginning of the year (for no reason) two years ago and then ended up sucking and sucked again for the second year in a row. He's just being a politician. Wouldn't want an entire school's fan base hating you and your network for telling them what they don't want to hear.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I really can not understand the national love affair with the Hawks. I can see why the locals pander to the Hawks like bums on the street. It sells newspapers and radio and TV time. The Hawks suck, they lost to Iowa State, they lost to direction-Michigan (can't remember which one, does it matter?). Sure they might rebound and go to a bowl game next year, but that has way more to do with the ultra soft schedule they play then them actually being any good.

CyGal

Mar 1, 2006
WDM
Maybe he is confusing IC with Ames, but even Ames isn't much of a small town.
And the 'certain guy' that fits into the Iowa FB program also can be found at a city jail nearest you.

ajjohnson

Sep 25, 2006
I stopped reading when I saw "small-town feel"...

Why, Iowa City is small when compared to a lot of other schools locations? Look at Columbus, the metro has 1.7 million and the university has 60,000 students. How dare he say Iowa City has a small town feel!

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
He must be talking about the International Bowl in Toronto or the GMAC Bowl in Mobile...those are the only January bowls the hawkeyes have a chance to get into...I wasn't aware of the Big 10 tie-in to either bowl.

By the way...both IC and Ames can be accurately described as "small college towns".

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
With Kirk being as highly respected as he is by both NFL and college coaches, media, etc, combined with the fact around 45 underclassmen played meaningful snaps this year, he better have them competing again next year and the year after. I've said it before, the next two years will define Kirk Ferentz as a coach.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
Pretty easy to contend for NYD bowls when you can get there by going 7-5.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
With Kirk being as highly respected as he is by both NFL and college coaches, media, etc, combined with the fact around 45 underclassmen played meaningful snaps this year, he better have them competing again next year and the year after. I've said it before, the next two years will define Kirk Ferentz as a coach.

I think you are over-estimating how "respected" Ferentz is.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Certain kind of guys.....criminals? idiots? mediocre quaterbacks? loses to the little brother every year?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Small town is more like a Harlan.

If you have a town with a college of 20-30k it is hard to get too small: lots of bars, lots of pizza joints, parks, big police department, and traffic control devices.

RedStorm

Apr 11, 2006
This guy is a moron. The article is interesting, but certainly interesting observations. Take a look.

The Loop: ESPN's Herbstreit expects Iowa to contend for January bowls

December 16, 2007

Think the Iowa football program will continue spiraling southward?

ESPN college football analyst Kirk Herbstreit doesn't.

"I believe Iowa can be a perennial power in the Big Ten as long as Kirk Ferentz is the coach because you're always going to recruit a certain type of individual to go to Iowa," Herbstreit said last week during an interview about his involvement with the Liberty Mutual coach of the year award.

"You're not going to have a roster full of five-star recruits. There's a certain guy who fits into the Iowa program. He falls in love with the campus, he loves the small-town feel, he loves the facilities, he loves Kirk Ferentz, he loves the staff, he loves the blue-collar work ethic, he loves the weight room, whatever it is - maybe it's all of those things.

"They are, to me, a great collection of players determined to prove doubters wrong."

Doubt has seeped in after consecutive 6-6 regular seasons replete with injuries and off-the-field troubles.

"Their margin for error is much smaller than other programs who draw those four- and five-star recruits, so when they sustain injuries the way they have the last couple years, there's a substantial drop-off from the starters to the next-level player," Herbstreit said.

"There's no doubt in my mind Kirk Ferentz will have Iowa back up and competing for Jan. 1 bowl games and doing a lot of good things. He's one of the good guys in the business, he's one of my favorite people in the business, and there's no doubt he'll continue to put Iowa up at a level where they're going to be competing for Big Ten championships." — Rob Gray

Not everyone in the national media was so kind to the Hawkeyes. Rivals.com claimed Iowa authored one of the "biggest collapses" of this season. The Web site said: "Iowa started 3-5, then won three in a row, and all the Hawkeyes had to do to clinch a bowl bid was beat a 3-7 Western Michigan team in Iowa City. Final: Western Michigan 28-19. No bowl for the Hawkeyes.

I don't disagree with anything he is saying. Is KH saying they will contend next year, no, and they won't. But in a few years KF will have them in a few January bowls strung back-to-back and then they will have to build agian. The real question is....will they have more 6 - 6 seasons or will rebuilding seasons be 7 win seasons. I just hope we/ISU can build faster then they can...